Australians Angry as NBN tracker tool points out delays.

SammoFS

It guess it depends on the delay. Silly example but this happens to me a lot with Google alerts: I get really pissed when I get an alert about a traffic accident on the very road that I am stucked in traffic in, however most of the time the delay is minimal or no longer than normal by the time I actually get to that point only a couple of times the alert was truly useful because the traffic delay was massive but getting an alert that says "Slow traffic in -streetname- 7 minutes delay" pisses you off even though most of the time it's not that relevant since you get the same delay everyday even without the accident.

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

I live just across the road from my friend and I can only get 30/1 cable whereas he gets 100/1. Gosh Dammit telstra. 

Oh I'm talking about the speed I pay for. For me there is no option for 100/1. 

Good on myself for quoteing myself. 

Edited by JohnnyCorporalTech
Accidently quoted myself.

24 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It guess it depends on the delay. Silly example but this happens to me a lot with Google alerts: I get really pissed when I get an alert about a traffic accident on the very road that I am stucked in traffic in, however most of the time the delay is minimal or no longer than normal by the time I actually get to that point only a couple of times the alert was truly useful because the traffic delay was massive but getting an alert that says "Slow traffic in -streetname- 7 minutes delay" pisses you off even though most of the time it's not that relevant since you get the same delay everyday even without the accident.

Oh, I was talking about the speed I pay for, for me there is literally no option for 100/1.

Just now, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Oh, I was talking about the speed I pay for, for me there is literally no option for 100/1.

Well yeah it's not a perfect analogy but you know you'll get the service eventually and not knowing the delays vs being told can have a weird effect on people. To give you another example if you're talking to someone on the phone and they put you in hold it's much better to flatout lie to them and tell em "Let me work on your account I'll be back in 2 minutes" and then take 8 minutes to get shit done than to tell someone upfront "I'm gonna put you in hold for about 8-10 minutes" They will always complain to hear the truth but if you don't tell them how long it's really going to be and you apologize upfront when coming back most people will be ok (provided you solved their issue of course)

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Some people get 100/1, others get 30/1.

We have 2 different companies with fiber (that has cables in over 50% of the Country)...

Virgin is Fiber to node (basically the same thing as a cabinet) and coaxial to house from node (FTTN) which results in speeds up to 200/20 (or more like 0.5/0.01 during peak times as their lines are so fucking overloaded or 210/18~ if you live somewhere with non-overloaded lines)

BT is fiber to cabinet and good ol' fashion copper phone lines to house from cabinet  (FTTC) which results in speeds up 80/20 but hey, their lines are a lot more stable...unless they have G.INP (a 'feature' of DLM) on and you're given a modem/router without support for it...

I mean... http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=ccd502f4844bd167e3543a2149cd8181&ria=0

G.INP kicked in, caused the line to be unstable and created a lot of Downstream interleave depth (from 1-10 to over 1000) where you can see the impact in the speedtest link...but hey, at least my router has it's firmware updated or G.INP has been disabled :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 3/9/2017 at 7:42 AM, Mr.Meerkat said:

-snip-

I heard BT Is rolling out G.Fast soon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/industry/new-report-shows-glittering-future-for-g-fast.html (BT to be possibly first to roll it out)

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

41 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

I heard BT Is rolling out G.Fast soon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/industry/new-report-shows-glittering-future-for-g-fast.html (BT to be possibly first to roll it out)

Did someone say g.fast?!

(Insert triggered gif)

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

20 hours ago, kiska3 said:

Did someone say g.fast?!

(Insert triggered gif)

y triggured tho wen it like up to 1gbps??

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

6 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

y triggured tho wen it like up to 1gbps??

Because the lines won't support it, unless you have a node directly in front of your house.

Reason being the copper is already past EOL date. Glenfield, NSW cabling, doesn't even have a cat rating, the best that the techs have told me, is cat2 at best.

And cat2 is described as by wikipedia:

Category 2 cable, also known as Cat 2, is a grade of unshielded twisted pair cabling designed for telephone and data communications. The maximum frequency suitable for transmission over Cat 2 cable is 4 MHz, and the maximum bandwidth is 4 Mbit/s.

And at worst cat1, which is described as:

Category 1 cable, also known as Cat 1, Level 1, or voice-grade copper, is a grade of unshielded twisted pair cabling designed for telephone communications, and at one time was the most common on-premises wiring. The maximum frequency suitable for transmission over Cat 1 cable is 1 MHz, but Cat 1 is not considered adequate for data transmission.

Its a miracle they can get an ADSL2+ signal down the line, considering its like 40+ years old

4 hours ago, kiska3 said:

Because the lines won't support it, unless you have a node directly in front of your house.

Reason being the copper is already past EOL date. Glenfield, NSW cabling, doesn't even have a cat rating, the best that the techs have told me, is cat2 at best.

And cat2 is described as by wikipedia:

And at worst cat1, which is described as:

Its a miracle they can get an ADSL2+ signal down the line, considering its like 40+ years old

Can I make you more ANGERY?

http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/nbn-delivers-8Gbps-over-copper-lines-onxg-fast-trial.html XG.FAST Says hello. 8GBPS over copper lines.

back to G.Fast. QUOTE FROM WIKIPEDIA

In tests performed in July 2013 by Alcatel-Lucent and Telekom Austria using prototype equipment, aggregate (sum of uplink and downlink) data rates of 1.1 Gbit/s were achieved at a distance of 70 m and 800 Mbit/s at a distance of 100 m, in laboratory conditions with a single line.[14][17] On older, unshielded cable, aggregate data rates of 500 Mbit/s were achieved at 100 m.[14]

Service rate performance targets over 0.5 mm straight loops[A][1]
Distance Performance target
<100 m, FTTB 500–1000 Mbit/s 100 m 500 Mbit/s 200 m 200 Mbit/s 250 m 150 Mbit/s 500 m 100 Mbit/s[18]
A A straight loop is a subscriber line (local loop) without bridge taps.
B The listed values are aggregate (sum of uplink and download) data rates.

If this is true... what shit lmao

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

1 hour ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Can I make you more ANGERY?

http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-project/nbn-delivers-8Gbps-over-copper-lines-onxg-fast-trial.html XG.FAST Says hello. 8GBPS over copper lines.

back to G.Fast. QUOTE FROM WIKIPEDIA

If this is true... what shit lmao

On Top of the cabling being old, we use a thinner wire, 0.62mm is what UK uses we use 0.4mm which introduces attenuation, much more than normal lab conditions

On Sunday, March 05, 2017 at 3:58 PM, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

"slower than 94% of AU"

more like "you have the average Australian internet"

97% of it is probably compressed within 1 mbps of each other. If your internet is 2 mbps faster, it will probably change to being faster than 98% of AU. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

@rikashiguma - I've been living in a FTTH Estate for the last 3 Years in Bald Hills. Paying for 100/40. Getting 95/35 Every unit in the complex has fibre. (150ish)

I'm now building in Griffin, Which has FTTH.

There's also been a mandate (At least in Queensland) That any NEW Development (Including where they are developing an existing block of land into an estate) MUST have FTTH.

The replacement of the current infrastructure is what's being botched, however it's not as simple as that, keep in mind it's a huge infrastructure change to remove existing cabling and replace it, I watched them do it in Aspley. They were doing maintenance on a single main road for almost 12 months.

Long story short, if you want FTTH, you will need to move into a new development, as you will most likely be getting FTTN otherwise.

Straya really dropped the ball with NBN, sucks to be you guys.

Sitting on a $120/mo 1000/500 connection over (the ditch) in NZ. Available everywhere in my city, the larger two taking a bit longer to do (2020).

Just now, Darren said:

Sitting on a $120/mo 1000/500 connection over (the ditch) in NZ. Available everywhere in my city, the larger two taking a bit longer to do (2020).

wow lol

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Our office is based in Williamstown, Victoria (Australia) and we were just activated with FTTN - we're on a 100/40 plan with Internode and have been pleased with both domestic and international performance so far.

NBN claim that once the service is fully activated without ADSL / PSTN services still on some lines, they can turn up the output power on the nodes and achieve upto 250/100 using the existing tech.

Nevertheless, a FTTH service is better for the long term and would be preferred - but i'll take FTTN now and hope that it's at some point extended to FTTH, or proceed with going ahead with an upgrade order from NBN Co if it's needed.

Some speedtests below...

All tests were completed around 8pm on a weekday - so peak usage time. 

Domestic:
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6109500793 (Local)

6109500793.png

International:
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6109520266 (US)

6109520266.png

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6109560207 (CA)

6109560207.png

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

I don't have fibre (yet) but at least I have 1000/100 cable. Fibre is about a year out for me and even if I didn't has access to HFC I could still get VDSL/ADSL or Wireless.

17 minutes ago, muskie said:

-snip-

That's nice. But I think FTTN Is a bit of a crappy service for them to be rolling out..

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

1 hour ago, Rika Shiguma said:

That's nice. But I think FTTN Is a bit of a crappy service for them to be rolling out..

It was fine when I had it, full speed  up/down, low ping with myrepublic.

Now I've moved again for work, and only have net on my little telstra 4gx modem. $7.5 a GB...adsl would be nice if it was available, or idsn...my other option is dial up

atm I'll take adsl nbn can take as long as if fucking likes.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

16 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

It was fine when I had it, full speed  up/down, low ping with myrepublic.

Now I've moved again for work, and only have net on my little telstra 4gx modem. $7.5 a GB...adsl would be nice if it was available, or idsn...my other option is dial up

atm I'll take adsl nbn can take as long as if fucking likes.

it was probably good since you were with myrepublic lol

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)