Linus disrespect

stealth80
Go to solution Solved by Trippik,
On 04/03/2017 at 6:18 AM, stealth80 said:

exactly, I am not spewing hate, I'm just stating that I think he could produce videos without destroying shit - I'm in the UK in small firm, 3-4 people already stating they prefer Jay2cents cause he respects the gear hes provided by sponsor - flame me, but that's RL comments

I think you've hit it right on the head there, yes Linus has grown into a more Top Gear style youtube channel over the years but it's bought him success and subscribers, so you can't blame him for expanding on that trend. When I want something a bit more educational I will head over the Jayz2Cents or Level1Techs. When I want something a bit silly and entertaining I head straight to LTT. That's the great thing about youtube you can see all these different kinds of content right next to each other for free!!! Just saying if you don't like it, there are plenty of other youtubers who will better fit the sensible content you want from LTT. Just watch their Ryzen review if you don't like the occasionally silly moments. 

Ok, it's pretty controversial and were all on here for the same reason - however, this was brought to my attention by a work colleague and to be honest I think he is right. We are all here as PC/Tech enthusiasts and Linus has a fantastic record of providing some fantastic reviews/builds etc. However, recently myself and others have noticed a blatant disregard/respect for tech hardware that is out of reach for some of us, whether it be a CPU or dropping an AM4 build from a bench and demanding a new one from sponsors! This really is, in my opinion taking the piss out of the average consumer who cant afford to upgrade every tick/tock cycle and we feel that Linus is trying to head towards an entertainment channel rather than a tech/PC channel which it progressed from, I may be out of order, I'm sure people will tell me I am, but I for one want a tech channel, if I wanted entertainment I will switch to sky etc, not watch some moron destroy a piece of hardware that is beyond the financial reach of the average Joe

peace guys 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

He's already stated that his channel is based around entertainment. He might be in the tech industry, but he also has to make sure his videos are attractive to a high number of people, enabling his channel to remain relevant.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There is even a clip of the rig falling from the stand it was on and it looked pretty serious...

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

The rig falling was an accident.

of course it was - as was his remorse when he tweeted it demanding a new one and of course - Asus shit them selves and shipped one over night

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

of course it was - as was his remorse when he tweeted it demanding a new and of course - Asus shit them selves and shipped one over night

He really didn't "demand" one. he apologized, and it slowly turned in to asking for another.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I agree that ltt is no longer a tech channel thats sole purpose is for technology, and it does sadden me when I think k back to what it was, before it reached out to the masses. 

But we also have to remember Linus needs money to put food on the table. If this is what secures him moola then so be it. There are plenty of other great channels out there that's sole purpose is dedicated to technology. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

He's already stated that his channel is based around entertainment. He might be in the tech industry, but he also has to make sure his videos are attractive to a high number of people, enabling his channel to remain relevant.

that maybe so, but he started as a tech/PC channel where most of his followers are, outside this circle no one has any idea who he is -

I just asked my wife, she had zero idea ......

Ryzen Ram Guide

6 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

noticed a blatant disregard/respect for tech hardware that is out of reach for some of us

when you work with expensive stuff all day, its not that special.

Fore example, You moving switches. Your thinking there just another metal box, you don't care that its worth 10k+.

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

I agree that ltt is no longer a tech channel thats sole purpose is for technology, and it does sadden me when I think k back to what it was, before it reached out to the masses. 

But we also have to remember Linus needs money to put food on the table. If this is what secures him this dough then so be it. There are plenty of other great channels out there that's sole purpose is dedicated to technology. 

I'm pretty sure with 3m subs his bread is secured on the table without pissing those 3m subs off by disrespecting hardware to attract more subs

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

of course it was - as was his remorse when he tweeted it demanding a new one and of course - Asus shit them selves and shipped one over night

How could they have reacted to that tweet if the tweet had a picture of the email of Asus saying they would overnight a new one? 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

in yesterday's WAN show he spewed some BS about ECC only being available on Xeons

dude .. ECC was a thing on i3s and Pentiums for a while

Linus is no longer a hardware reviewer, he does hardware oriented entertainment - I unsubbed, stayed for the forums

Would you be more happy if he had only low end hardware?  The man has built an incredibly successful YouTube empire!  He's an entertainer and a business man.  And a damn good one.  The disrespect you talk about is all in your head.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

when you work with expensive stuff all day, its not that special.

Fore example, You moving switches. Your thinking there just another metal box, you don't care that its worth 10k+.

I work on £40m aircraft, that's a bullshit statement

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

that maybe so, but he started as a tech/PC channel where most of his followers are, outside this circle no one has any idea who he is -

I just asked my wife, she had zero idea ......

NCIXTechTips started off mostly on quick unboxing reviews. 

Just now, RezChi said:

NCIXTechTips started off mostly on quick unboxing reviews. 

not destroying tech for youtube/twitter hits

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

in yesterday's WAN show he spewed some BS about ECC only being available on Xeons

dude .. ECC was a thing on i3s and Pentiums for a while

people get things wrong especially on the spot during WAN show, we are not starting hate Linus thread. 

Just now, stealth80 said:

I'm pretty sure with 3m subs his bread is secured on the table without pissing those 3m subs off by disrespecting hardware to attract more subs

Oh I agree he has has started to show a lack of respect for expensive kit, but half the time I think this is for the 'entertainment' purposes. Like using titans as a counter balance. 

The fact is his seemingly clumsy and destructively ignorant ways are getting him views, and more importantly subscriptions. 

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

However, recently myself and others have noticed a blatant disregard/respect for tech hardware that is out of reach for some of us, whether it be a CPU or dropping an AM4 build from a bench and demanding a new one from sponsors!

1) Ultimately, what LMG is operating is a film/television set, and despite best efforts, accidents and damages will occur on a film/television set.  This is the reality of producing entertainment content.

2) He didn't demand.  He rather apologetically BEGGED for a replacement, even admitting that he'd understand if Asus never sent them a free demo unit again.  It was pretty much the total opposite of a 'demand'.

i dont care about the "disrespect" but yeah i really freaken wish educational linus would come back

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

not destroying tech for youtube/twitter hits

You actually truly think the AM4 rig falling was set-up!?

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

people get things wrong especially on the spot during WAN show, we are not starting hate Linus thread. 

Luke who's more insightful didn't correct him

even twitch chat was angry

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

exactly, I am not spewing hate, I'm just stating that I think he could produce videos without destroying shit - I'm in the UK in small firm, 3-4 people already stating they prefer Jay2cents cause he respects the gear hes provided by sponsor - flame me, but that's RL comments

Ryzen Ram Guide

Just now, RezChi said:

You actually truly thing the AM4 rig falling was set-up!?

more like he purposely did it (dropped it) for the hits