Linus disrespect

stealth80
Go to solution Solved by Trippik,
On 04/03/2017 at 6:18 AM, stealth80 said:

exactly, I am not spewing hate, I'm just stating that I think he could produce videos without destroying shit - I'm in the UK in small firm, 3-4 people already stating they prefer Jay2cents cause he respects the gear hes provided by sponsor - flame me, but that's RL comments

I think you've hit it right on the head there, yes Linus has grown into a more Top Gear style youtube channel over the years but it's bought him success and subscribers, so you can't blame him for expanding on that trend. When I want something a bit more educational I will head over the Jayz2Cents or Level1Techs. When I want something a bit silly and entertaining I head straight to LTT. That's the great thing about youtube you can see all these different kinds of content right next to each other for free!!! Just saying if you don't like it, there are plenty of other youtubers who will better fit the sensible content you want from LTT. Just watch their Ryzen review if you don't like the occasionally silly moments. 

Just now, stealth80 said:

Thank you, like I said, I'm not trying to start a hate thread, ive been here a few years now, I've just had this pointed out and thought actually, ill make a thread and see what happens

The only thing I can say is that you're seeing what you want to see in regards to the original post. Obviously accidents happen. The only reason we even see the accidents is because Linus chooses to share to get something positive out of a negative. A prime example is when their Whonnock server died, he didn't have to make any videos about it but he did in order to at least get some positive (in this case content) out of a pretty serious negative.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah man, I'm a rich Arab prince who just wrecked my million dollar supercar. Let me upload the clip on Youtube. Oh did I tell you that I didn't just choose to upload it on Youtube? I know right there are so many people who can't afford this car. I'm sure the kids starving in Africa could have eaten the car. Feelsbadman.

boil the rice

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

For the love of God.  How are you POSSIBLY taking my post about counting up the reputation marks in this thread as me being anything other than facetious?  I literally can't comprehend how you looked at the posts about the rep points and thought "Well, they clearly aren't taking the piss, so I must respond to what certainly isn't a piss taking with absolute seriousness."

How was it not at all obvious?  How did I manage to accidentally communicate that in a way that you read as being totally serious.  Please tell me so that I can do better next time and prevent others from reading something that's obviously stupid and taking it seriously.

you made the post

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

So linus dropping the mobo, asking asus for new one over social media and email, posting it on social media cause of lol's cause of his "accident"

And you are angry/mad because you think the post was targeting poor people who cant afford or have the option to take advantage of large companies and having connections?

I never said it was targeting poor people, I said about the consensus of my work colleagues

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The only thing I can say is that you're seeing what you want to see in regards to the original post. Obviously accidents happen. The only reason we even see the accidents is because Linus chooses to share to get something positive out of a negative. A prime example is when their Whonnock server died, he didn't have to make any videos about it but he did in order to at least get some positive (in this case content) out of a pretty serious negative.

I made the post - You're missing my point - A tech guru/lover would be pissed about breaking it - not use it to generate more subs - oh wait no - that's exactly whats happening and why I unsubbed ...

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Guys...  In all seriousness, you know that Linus isn't RICH right?  Linus Media Group is a corporation and it is LMG that owns the the majority the liquid and non-liquid assets you see on the channel.  The individual, Linus Sebastien may own and operate LMG, but he takes a salary from LMG just like every other employee and he can't actually just cash the place out and book on off to a private island on a gold plated flying Delorean.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Guys...  In all seriousness, you know that Linus isn't RICH right?  Linus Media Group is a corporation and it is LMG that owns the the majority the liquid and non-liquid assets you see on the channel.  The individual, Linus Sebastien may own and operate LMG, but he takes a salary from LMG just like every other employee and he can't actually just cash the place out and book on off to a private island on a gold plated flying Delorean.

I never at any point said he was - which is why I feel the stuff he did should be done "back door"

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, huilun02 said:

Maybe you can join the NSA if you think corporate transparency is a bad thing.

NSA? no thanks, I'm in the UK - got more going for me!

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

NSA?

National Security Agency. It's a United States Government agency.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

National Surveillance Agency. It's a United States Government agency.

haha ye I just looked it up, nah thanks, I'm UK based ... got more going on ...

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

haha ye I just looked it up, nah thanks, I'm UK based ... got more going on ...

National Security Agency. Not Surveillance. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

National Security Agency. Not Surveillance. 

I'm UK based, I don't think the US Security Agency would take me - hence I have other things to do :D well they might do actually lol I've seen US military take some fools from us haha

Ryzen Ram Guide

I gave up on Linus and his behavior a long time ago.

I don't watch LTT videos as my primary source of Tech content.

I really only watch LTT videos to see how bad they are.

The LTT channel went from Informative tech videos to "trying to be entertainment".

This is not cool in my book. I'm not looking for entertainment from LTT. That's what I play video games and do programming for -_-.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is not cool in my book. I'm not looking for entertainment from LTT. That's what I play video games and do programming for -_-.

While I understand your perspective, you are watching content for entertainment - that is to say, learning something about CPUs, video cards, whatever is entertaining to you.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

While I understand your perspective, you are watching content for entertainment - that is to say, learning something about CPUs, video cards, whatever is entertaining to you.

Let me rephrase myself,

I find learning about technology to be fun/entertaining. I do not find Linus' poor attempt at humor and the direction of his channel to be entertaining.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Ok, it's pretty controversial and were all on here for the same reason - however, this was brought to my attention by a work colleague and to be honest I think he is right. We are all here as PC/Tech enthusiasts and Linus has a fantastic record of providing some fantastic reviews/builds etc. However, recently myself and others have noticed a blatant disregard/respect for tech hardware that is out of reach for some of us, whether it be a CPU or dropping an AM4 build from a bench and demanding a new one from sponsors! This really is, in my opinion taking the piss out of the average consumer who cant afford to upgrade every tick/tock cycle and we feel that Linus is trying to head towards an entertainment channel rather than a tech/PC channel which it progressed from, I may be out of order, I'm sure people will tell me I am, but I for one want a tech channel, if I wanted entertainment I will switch to sky etc, not watch some moron destroy a piece of hardware that is beyond the financial reach of the average Joe

peace guys 

he always could have told editors to remove that from video. yes he has cash to replace at his cost if sponsers choose to not replace i personally am too broke to buy a 100 dollar rig. yet i and many others enjoyed that. kinda similiar to that mtv ridicoulus show that guy would break every thing for laughs.

so you do not like then click unsubscribe and no like button.

So you're mad he has access to hardware you don't? it's his job man and if someone wants to buy an 1800X why not watch his video on it? I don't get why your upset with Linus over his content.

When watching LTT and seeing all the mishaps and disasters that happen because Linus forgets something or he's just generally being careless, I'll occasionally wonder if some of it's staged for views. But on the other hand I kind of don't care. Sure Linus has destroyed more tech than I'll probably be able to afford in my entire life time but that's why I watch it. Watching someone fail and break expensive shit is funny to me and can sometimes have some real value as a memorable example of what not to do. The video that stands out most in my mind as an example of wanton destruction would be when they were in Mexico testing the water-proof claims of various flagship smartphones. They knew they were sending those phones to their doom but the phones also weren't being used by anyone and they get the phones for free anyway. Would I have rather seen that phone go to someone who really needed it? Sure, but giving away tech that they no longer need could become problematic and at the end of the day LMG is not and has never claimed to be a charity. Those phones died for one reason and one reason only, to get views. I mean it's not like these things are endangered spotted owls, they're cranked out in the hundreds of thousands by robots on an assembly line. It's really no skin off ASUS's ass to just send him another mobo when he drops it, it's basically (almost) free advertising for them anyway. It's what we call a win-win scenario.

As for people bitching that LTT has become more entertainment than information I completely disagree, I feel like they've struck the perfect balance. The videos are entertaining and at the same time I'm not feeling deprived of relevant information. There are the occasional pointless filler videos, but very rarely do I ever feel as though my time has been wasted. There do exist tech channels that are much more dry, much more serious and while I'm subscribed to a few of them I only rarely watch their vids because their vids are boring.

TL:DR Ya'll just need to lighten the fuck up like for reals.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I find learning about technology to be fun/entertaining. I do not find Linus' poor attempt at humor and the direction of his channel to be entertaining.

Okay but then why do you subject yourself to his videos then?

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

when 1 doctor does it, tough luck

when two doctors do it ... well then, doctors you say!?

Are you comparing such a trivial thing such as pentium supported ecc, versus doctors being wrong about medicine, health etc? You do realize the difference here?

3 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Ok, it's pretty controversial and were all on here for the same reason - however, this was brought to my attention by a work colleague and to be honest I think he is right. We are all here as PC/Tech enthusiasts and Linus has a fantastic record of providing some fantastic reviews/builds etc. However, recently myself and others have noticed a blatant disregard/respect for tech hardware that is out of reach for some of us, whether it be a CPU or dropping an AM4 build from a bench and demanding a new one from sponsors! This really is, in my opinion taking the piss out of the average consumer who cant afford to upgrade every tick/tock cycle and we feel that Linus is trying to head towards an entertainment channel rather than a tech/PC channel which it progressed from, I may be out of order, I'm sure people will tell me I am, but I for one want a tech channel, if I wanted entertainment I will switch to sky etc, not watch some moron destroy a piece of hardware that is beyond the financial reach of the average Joe

peace guys 

I have noticed it too

This was clearly an accident and not done deliberately for an entertainment purpose. At least Linus is honest with his mistakes and not lied about what had happened.

I feel anyone upset about this is being a bit over sensitive to be honest.

57 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Are you comparing such a trivial thing such as pentium supported ecc, versus doctors being wrong about medicine, health etc? You do realize the difference here?

I'm not the one bringing doctors into this, ask him

44 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm not the one bringing doctors into this, ask him

Well, you made a point using doctors.

1 minute ago, -TesseracT- said:

Well, you made a point using doctors.

I used the materials he provided me

what should've I done? discard a pair of unused doctors?!

As a techie, I've approached vendors to replace hardware that was accidentally damaged/destroyed. Hell I accidentally ran over my iPhone (yes, with a car) in college and Apple replaced it no questions asked. 

The rig falling was was a complete accident. Linus took a chance contacting ASUS to see if they could get him a replacement. Asus could have easily said "sorry, we don't have any more review units" but like a smart vendor, they were ready for a notoriously clumsy reviewer to break a unit and have now gained positive publicity by sending him a replacement. 

You also have to think, to a company like ASUS a $300+ board is peanuts. They get a well known public figure in the industry to review their product, which is worth a replacement board to them. 

It it has nothing to do with respect. It's business. 

6 hours ago, stealth80 said:

cause that would work for me you, thank you for reinforcing my point

1) If you leave a rig standing in that position on the edge of a table like that, and then it falls, you really don't deserve another one, no matter who you are (you will notice it wasn't standing that way for the rest of the video)

2) Linus may be an Asus shill. but he does have 3 million viewers.  You want that kind of response from a hardware company?  Start a Youtube channel, get 3 million subscribers (or even, let's say, 500,000 or so subscribers - enough so that tech companies recognize you and want to advertise with you/sponsor your content), and you will get the same response. 

Those are the facts.  It was an idiot move to have a rig like that standing in that position, but being who he is does give him perks that the average consumer wouldn't have.  You may not like that, but that's too bad.

It may look like Linus was demanding a new review unit from Asus. But it seems like he's on good terms with his Asus 

rep, hence he worded it succinctly and friendly.

6 hours ago, stealth80 said:

This really is, in my opinion taking the piss out of the average consumer who cant afford to upgrade every tick/tock cycle and we feel that Linus is trying to head towards an entertainment channel rather than a tech/PC channel which it progressed from

Regarding Linus taking the piss out of the average consumer, you're off the mark there. For starters Linus has mentioned that his audience (probably most forum users) enjoy behind the scenes content like this, hence why he posted it. I think this all boils down to how you're viewing this, I for one see this as Linus complimenting Asus on understanding that shit happens in life and that they understand that.

And no shit his channel is branching out into entertainment, his most watched series of videos is scrapyard wars. And from what I'm seeing, nearly everyone loves it.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"