Wife wants an iMac :(

Syphno
10 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

So what you're saying is his wife should buy what you think is good? For crying out loud, she likes iMacs, why do you care if she has one? And speaking as someone who has years of mac and pc experience they are fine computers that, apart from gaming, can do anything a pc can do. 

I... I didn't imply she should get what I think is good... I never even implied the iMac is bad... 

Nothing.

Ask for divorce.

Jokes aside imacs really suck compared to equally priced self built desktops, the low end models especially (the 5400rpm hdd is honestly unusable in my opinion).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Ask for divorce.

Jokes aside imacs really suck compared to equally priced self built desktops, the low end models especially (the 5400rpm hdd is honestly unusable in my opinion).

If it was a 10%-15% difference in price I could understand, but we are talking a 40%-50% difference in price.  I mean... really?

44 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

I... I didn't imply she should get what I think is good... I never even implied the iMac is bad... 

Sorry for jumping down your throat. I just get really annoyed by polarized opinions - PCs vs Macs, PCs vs consoles, nvidia vs amd etc - the internet is full of this nonsense. 

And whether the mac is rated higher than it should be is irrelevant I think, if it suits her needs, is easy and fun to use and she can afford it, that's all that is important. 

And as I said, keeping a wife happy is one of the biggest challenges a husband has in life ?

Love not hate

INSTANT DIVORCE 

/S /JK 

pls don't do that..

Is there a reason to why she wants in iMac? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

19 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

No dude. You never spend $1000 on a mac. 

Well.... That's not entirely true.

Check out this vid Hardware Canucks did.. For video editing the ability to use Final cut is a huge advantage that a MAC system has.. Watch the video, the differences between a seriously powerful PC running premiere and a MAC running final cut are staggering.

(To be clear, I'm a huge supporter of the PC platform, and do not own any MAC systems, but these numbers are really hard to argue with).

2500K @ 4.5 | NZXT Kraken X62 | MSI P67A-GD65(B3) | 16G Mushkin 1333 | MSI Gamer X RX480 | ASUS MG279Q & PB278Q | Samsung 850 EVO 250G | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | NZXT S340 Elite | EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Logitech G610 & G502 | Win 10 Ent   ////////   PIII 500 | Asus P3B-F | 768MB PC133 | 2 * Voodoo2 12MB (SLI) & Riva TNT2 Ultra 32MB | 40GB IDE | Win98SE

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and suggest possibly getting a used iMac, if she really just wants the interface than Elementary OS (http://elementary.io/) has a really nice looking knockoff OSX interface and it should be able to do pretty much whatever she wants it to do. Like many before me have mentioned, make sure it either has and SSD or you are able to/willing to put one in. Hybrid drives generally have the same issues as HDDs because their cache isn't big enough to cover all the basic needs and the algorithms aren't that great.

is that for 1k Canadian or USD

CPU - i7 6700HQ @ 3.50GHz GPU - GTX 965m - 16 GB DDR4 - 500 GB SSD

For about 750 USD

Laptop Model - Cyberpower Tracer 15

2 hours ago, jeremymwilson said:

Sorry for jumping down your throat. I just get really annoyed by polarized opinions - PCs vs Macs, PCs vs consoles, nvidia vs amd etc - the internet is full of this nonsense. 

And whether the mac is rated higher than it should be is irrelevant I think, if it suits her needs, is easy and fun to use and she can afford it, that's all that is important. 

And as I said, keeping a wife happy is one of the biggest challenges a husband has in life ?

I can imagine. Reason I posted like that is because the price of one is insane and I was surprised. Polarized opinions aren't the best and I can see how my post looked a bit one-sided.

Nothing.

21 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That's so bad

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Certified SFX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 22.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($99.88 @ Jet)
Total: $790.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-27 16:09 EST-0500

I agree however no way that monitor is near as good if i had to guess.  also you need to take form factor into account somewhat when pricing.

Overall That mac is a bad buy id say if shes that casual buy a I3 desktop or get a Laptop with the same specs for Way Less

Just now, michaelocarroll007 said:

I agree however no way that monitor is near as good if i had to guess.  also you need to take form factor into account somewhat when pricing.

Overall That mac is a bad buy id say if shes that casual buy a I3 desktop or get a Laptop with the same specs for Way Less

The monitor is good based on Amazon reviews. Whta do you mean by form factor? I went with smallest I could

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The monitor is good based on Amazon reviews. Whta do you mean by form factor? I went with smallest I could

Apple typically puts very decent screens about the only thing good of there imac lineup ussualy. I dont think a $100 one will compete too much probably need to spend another 50-75.  i remember somone having the Intel Processor Below i3 Pentium with a 1440p IPS in the imac 2011 thing was slow as hell but the screen was very nice and now you can get 5k with some shit specs 

I mean the All in one form factor. Same thing as when people compare laptops to desktops. Yes All in Ones & Laptops cost more due to this reason if someone wants an all in one or laptop its going to have a upcharge just the way it is for picking that form factor. 

Can't blame her. Macs are pretty.

All in one is pretty cool too.

But alas all the 12'vies just have to be edgy.....

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Jesus Christ people.  Just get what your wife what she wants.  

This..  All of this.   

If she wants a Mac get her a Mac.   While I don't suggest the lowest end 21.5 inch iMac there are a lot of great options out there.   Especially look at the Refurbished section of the Apple web store.   They are as good as a new unit. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

23 hours ago, Syphno said:

Its about the amount of space in our living room, and she likes them for some reason?? I could pitch to her all day but she would never understand

You're trying to convince a woman, for tech stuff some of them think quite differently from men.  While we may go for "tech specs/performance" over looks, they may prefer going for aesthetics over specs.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Wife wants iMac, husband wants new wife.

Wife murders husband, judges are understanding, calls the murder "Justifiable Homicide", and they dismiss the case.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

23 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

why not a small mini itx like i showed above (very compact) and a monitor?

Monitor, NUC, and some double-sided tape.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

8 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Wife wants iMac, husband wants new wife.

10/10 best answer yet

23 hours ago, Syphno said:

Its about the amount of space in our living room

Your living room is probably bigger than my dorm room (12'x9' or 108ft2). I have two monitors hooked to a laptop and my roommate has a triple monitor setup and ATX full tower, with both of our beds and stuff and we still have room to spare (I will be building in a mid tower sometime soon). I would suggest just building a regular mid tower PC and saving the money.

4 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Your living room is probably bigger than my dorm room (12'x9' or 108ft2). I have two monitors hooked to a laptop and my roommate has a triple monitor setup and ATX full tower, with both of our beds and stuff and we still have room to spare (I will be building in a mid tower sometime soon). I would suggest just building a regular mid tower PC and saving the money.

Except that's not what his wife wants.

And I doubt y'all have room to spare... considering how little space my roommate and I have with just my laptop and his midtower.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Well, what about this:

She can get a decent laptop and the rest of the money can she spend on whatever she want :P

Clothes, jewelry, doesn't matter. It's up to her.

There's a chance there is something else she really wants but costs quite a lot, or something, i dunno...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon