do u actually need to put the io shield on?

Lilninjsways

4 months ago I put my first pc build on and my mother board just wouldn't fit in to the io shield for some reason is it a huge thing I need to do NOW? or no?

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

you dont NEED it, but it looks nice and prevents dust from entering your PC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

4 months ago I put my first pc build on and my mother board just wouldn't fit in to the io shield for some reason is it a huge thing I need to do NOW? or no?

the short answer is no.... but there isn't any real reason not to. looks better, and (apparently) help with electrical grounding. I'm not electrician, but I've heard its some sort of mild protection for electrical reasons. I know that isn't very specific, helpful, or confidence inspiring.... buuut you should really make a point of having that thing on.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

the short answer is no.... but there isn't any real reason not to. looks better, and (apparently) help with electrical grounding. I'm not electrician, but I've heard its some sort of mild protection for electrical reasons. I know that isn't very specific, helpful, or confidence inspiring.... buuut you should really make a point of having that thing on.

don't ya have to take out everything to put it back on? 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

1 minute ago, Lilninjsways said:

don't ya have to take out everything to put it back on? 

Only the motherboard.... but to take the motherboard out you are going to have to take at LEAST the GPU off, as well as anything else that may phsysically interfere such as a HDD or watercooler... although that will depend heavily on what case you have and what is all in your case. You may also have to take off your CPU cooler if it overhangs your motherboard mounting screws.

Oh come on man. Assembling computers is fun! Think of this as  a chance to rebuild your computer better than ever!

The only real treaths i see directly to not having the io shield on it is that there is a chance of more dust entering, you accidentaly dropping things trough the opening you are trying to plug in the rear usb ports and such, and the pottential wandering rodent seeing it as an inviting opening to a new home.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Only the motherboard.... but to take the motherboard out you are going to have to take at LEAST the GPU off, as well as anything else that may phsysically interfere such as a HDD or watercooler... although that will depend heavily on what case you have and what is all in your case. You may also have to take off your CPU cooler if it overhangs your motherboard mounting screws.

Oh come on man. Assembling computers is fun! Think of this as  a chance to rebuild your computer better than ever!

that's tru haha but I haven't had the time for it in a while! haha (plus my case was a huge pain in the ass compared to when I built my friends pc)

Spoiler

It wouldn't be critical, but i highly recommend putting it in place, since it prevents dust from entering the machine, and also helps guiding USB devices in, such as pen drives and mouse/keyboard plugs.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Do you need it? Nope

Is it good to just have it there? Yep

Are some of the IO shields stupid where it pushes against the motherboard where it prevents the motherboard from aligning with standoffs? Yep

Sigh, the Z77 sabertooth's IO shield had this "padding" where it literally made it impossible to push the motherboard left far enough that the holes align with the standoffs...only took me like 2 hours just to screw in the motherboard back in 2014 xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Do you need it? Nope

Is it good to just have it there? Yep

Are some of the IO shields stupid where it pushes against the motherboard where it prevents the motherboard from aligning with standoffs? Yep

Sigh, the Z77 sabertooth's IO shield had this "padding" where it literally made it impossible to push the motherboard left far enough that the holes align with the standoffs...only took me like 2 hours just to screw in the motherboard back in 2014 xD 

geez

Spoiler

• 3 years later...

The shields would protect from stray RF generated by the processor from escaping the case and effecting more sensitive cables like video, usb and cause buz in through speakerwires.  find an article on rf coupling these are widely avaliable online in blogs dealing with engineering and ham radio.

I always do, it’s the only way I know how to make the necessary blood sacrifice while building.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

4 hours ago, johnag said:

The shields would protect from stray RF generated by the processor from escaping the case and effecting more sensitive cables like video, usb and cause buz in through speakerwires.  find an article on rf coupling these are widely avaliable online in blogs dealing with engineering and ham radio.

If you want claim stuff like this, please provide source. Also this thread has been dead for 3 years. Locked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv