All you tech addicts out there

biker

What do you do to help get over the addiction?

I am trying out uninstalling an addictive game but I find myself here on the computer yet again. Forums are another addiction, how does one get over it?

I will try out just keeping busy, I am joining a sports club team, I have a gym membership, but its cold out and I didnt even leave the house yesterday, I was on the f'ing computer all day long.

I dont have many friends either, I have lots of acquaintences though. Maybe there's a 12 step program I can join, fellowship is strong in the main 12 step program.

Hardware is not my thing, could care less. I am always on the f'ing computer ALWAYS. Plus I am not a big cell phone guy, but I do see it as a problem because I am sorrounded by it, so I tend to do it myself. I play a little game, when I get on the train I count how many are on their cell phones. I also count ethnicity.

I started shooting heroin. It's worked out really well, actually. Possible negative effects on my health aside, I certainly don't have the time or money to buy PC components anymore.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

It's worked out really well

For the first vein injection maybe.

I got another plan, while I am waiting to get on medical leave and get paid $1600/m from the government I am deciding on places to spend 4 months of the year. Vancouver Island is on the list, it would be somewhere in the USA but I can't enter due to my criminal record, until I get my pardon in a few years. Otherwise it would be California or somewhere on the Gulf of Mexico if its not too polluted by the BP spill.

to be honest, the only tech addiction i  get is the forum, i usually come here between work or at homes sometimes. you will get over your addiction when you get older and have a job, you really won't have time for anything. now that i work have a wife planning on kids, i have no time to be distracted with hobbies it's awesome. 

Get a job or even a volunteer position somewhere. Anything that'll keep you away from your keyboard.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Projects!

I have a server I built from spare parts.

You can have all sorts of fun setting stuff up and running things.

Recently set up virtualbox on the server, and created a small Minecraft server for some friends.

Running it all from the command line, it's a good way to learn.

I enjoy cheaper toys as well, like the raspberry pi.

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

and have a job, you really won't have time for anything

Thats the thing, I am disabled and on medical. Our government pays $1600/m for that, but it takes a long time to get on sometimes. People have gotten on it with depression, mine runs deeper. I may look normal in every respect, but the brain is a complex organ.

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Get a job or even a volunteer position somewhere. Anything that'll keep you away from your keyboard.

I have started to do that actually. I found out that giving blood does not net me cash, but food. I wish it was like the states. How much money do they get for that down there?

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Yes, and that's why I inhale cans of paint.

I thought glue sticks would be cheaper and easier to carry around.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Try using your mind. Seriously. Think of this as a test. See if you can pass it. As well, you could also try punishing yourself whenever you do your addiction.

If that really doesn't work, you could try focusme. You can block certain websites and applications to keep you from them. It costs money, but it's not too bad (only $9 a month). You can take a look here https://focusme.com/

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Sometimes I force myself a ban, like in the game I play if I kill my own team mates it gives me a one hour ban. I also would get chat banned from the same general chat forum in the game. In the beginning it was a day or 2, maybe 3, then it became weeks, then month long bans, I am on my last strike for permanent chat ban in the game. I uninstalled the game, but it takes 15-30 minutes to reinstall it. I spent so much on it, $100 maybe.

2 minutes ago, biker said:

Sometimes I force myself a ban, like in the game I play if I kill my own team mates it gives me a one hour ban. I also would get chat banned from the same general chat forum in the game. In the beginning it was a day or 2, maybe 3, then it became weeks, then month long bans, I am on my last strike for permanent chat ban in the game.

just try your best, that's the only think you can do.

I dont want to be damaged goods, but addicts are.

4 minutes ago, biker said:

I dont want to be damaged goods, but addicts are.

People who cannot quit a certain habit let it be drugs, alcohol, gambling, gaming, or any other activities.

There's a big difference between hardware addiction and game addiction. There is also a big difference between game addiction and game compulsion, which is what you suffer from. You're not physically ill when you haven't played for a while, your body does not crave the game like it craves water in a desert.

How to stop feeling compelled? That's hard to answer, not everyone's the same and not every case of compulsion is the case. In my experience it's a product of a lack of interest in a person't main occupation and distress caused by some circumstance in a person's life that makes them seek a distraction. Or alternatively, boredom - if you don't have anything else to do at home it's not a bad thing to play a video game. The "problem" arises when it takes priority over other, more objectively important parts of your life.

Forcing yourself to uninstall it and not think about it is not going to work. It's as if I told you "don't think about elephants". Now all you can think about are elephants.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Addicts are Addicts but things are changing in my life. I am now allowed to legally leave the house, and now have a legal curfew.

Maybe that was my problem, I was too scared of provincial employee's checking on my status to obey judge's ruling, but it was pretty slack to begin with because it came from a different province, and the offense was petty in my view. But the judicial system in the last 15 years has been cracking down harder, even changing the law on limits. I mean my po was nice and all, seeing him every few months was nice, gave me leniences to my outtings but never was there a check during the day, never. Its almost like all they read was curfew 9pm to 7am and not 24/7 in house except for this and this. But I know they read it. It pisses me off thinking I could have fought it and blown $10k in defense fee's and gotten off. Who knows, I am over thinking it. I wish I could just pound back a a 40 pounder/1.15L of vodka but I know I shouldn't and its not wise. Maybe its because my sober birthday is coming up soon.

All addiction is the same, whatever it is that we do its just a symptom of a problem. Alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription drugs, sex, over eating, workaholic, working out too much, gaming. Those are all symptoms which was proven 80+ years ago and is now recognized in the medical field. I must change the way I think,

if he is an alcoholic of the hopeless variety. To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face.

Oh I love that quote.

Anyway I should log off and do something else.

Exactly in what ways is this 'addiction' negatively effecting your life?  Of course something is an addiction if it is having a negative impact on one's life, if they are skipping work or avoiding social engagements to make time for the addition, if they are putting financial resources towards the addiction while ignoring other financial responsibilities, and things like that.  But nothing in this thread has made clear what the actual negative impacts are, only steps taken to 'escape' the addiction.  You have stated that you were under, what I assume to be house arrest, and certainly that would leave one with few options beyond watching a lot of TV or playing a lot of video games.  But if one is not under house arrest now, what's going on?

More over, it's possible you're seeing a symptom rather than a direct cause of a problem.  Individuals experiencing depression or other mental health issues often seen out escapism, video games being a common source.  So you may actually be ignoring a root mental health cause driving you to a chosen form of escapism and instead focusing on a symptom of that need for escapism.

Work in a local PC store. Best decision of my life. Surrounded by PC parts, always helping people to pick them. And having 20% discout on all items as s shop employee.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

14 hours ago, biker said:

I dont have many friends either, I have lots of acquaintences though. Maybe there's a 12 step program I can join, fellowship is strong in the main 12 step program.

Hardware is not my thing, could care less. I am always on the f'ing computer ALWAYS. Plus I am not a big cell phone guy, but I do see it as a problem because I am sorrounded by it, so I tend to do it myself. I play a little game, when I get on the train I count how many are on their cell phones. I also count ethnicity.

Just get out more. Get soem close firends, sleepovers, parties, movies, etc.

- snip-

I think I am a little bit addictive to apple's hardware. 

Call me a fanboy if you want. I know that I have this so called "problem". 

I have no idea how apple's marketing got into me. 

But as long as I keep it at a reasonable level, I think it is fine. 

As you said about yourself, spending a lot of time in front of your desk and staring at the PC, I think we can all relate to that. 

For me gaming has lost its mojo. As time goes by, i found myself spending lesser and lesser time playing video games. 

For a couple of times I even thought of selling my gaming pc. I don't know. I think deleting games is not a very effective way. 

Give your self some restraint. Let's say 4 hours a day. Set the limit and act on it. I used to spend more money than I have, using credit card like crazy. Then I told myself to stop. So other than buying food I literally don't make any sort of purchase. Then 2 months later it back fires.After a few times I realised that I need not cutting out every purchase I make, just set a limit, and get used to it. After that every month when I have money, immediately I put a portion of it into my parents' account. Let them save it for me. I did it for almost a year. And now I have almost 2k in my account. (not a lot, I know) But imagine I spend it all on small things like new keyboard, new corsair fans etc. 

TL;DR:  Don't cut of the habit. Change it to a reasonable one. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.