i7 5820k + 2x gtx 1070's vs i7 6900k + 1x gtx 1070

VirusStorm

I do a lot of 3D rendering and modelling as well as gaming, so the 6950x would heavily benefit me

However, with the 5820k, I could get: An extra gtx 1070, a better monitor, and more ram

Right now my monitor is 1080p 60hz 8ms

The new monitor would be 1440p 144hz 4ms with gsync  

4 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

I do a lot of 3D rendering and modelling as well as gaming, so the 6950x would heavily benefit me

However, with the 5820k, I could get: An extra gtx 1070, a better monitor, and more ram

Right now my monitor is 1080p 60hz 8ms

The new monitor would be 1440p 144hz 4ms with gsync  

the 6950x would not benefit you all for gaming.  it might even affect you in games that do better with less cores. it will benefit you for the other applications but if you can get more memory and a better monitor and your fine with your current processor, i would personally hold off on the new processor

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

1 minute ago, xdeathshot20 said:

the 6950x would not benefit you all for gaming.  it might even affect you in games that do better with less cores. it will benefit you for the other applications but if you can get more memory and a better monitor and your fine with your current processor, i would personally hold off on the new processor

Right now I have an fx 8350 :P I was wondering which one to buy

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

Right now I have an fx 8350 :P I was wondering which one to buy

oh ok then,  well its a bit harder to tell then but i personally would still go for the i7 5820k or maybe even a 6800k or 6850k if you can get a good price on them

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

oh ok then,  well its a bit harder to tell then but i personally would still go for the i7 5820k or maybe even a 6800k or 6850k if you can get a good price on them

With the 6800k I won't be able to get 32gb of ram. I would be stuck with 16gb, which wont be enough for 3d work

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

not worth it considering your other options

The 6950x isn't worth it? or the 6800k?

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

With the 6800k I won't be able to get 32gb of ram. I would be stuck with 16gb, which wont be enough for 3d work

then go for the 5820k

then go for the 5820k

Alright, thanks for your help everyone!

Maybe see what Ryzen offers? Recent (take with grain of salt) leaks say the SR7 is supposed to be $350 and it is an 8c/16t CPU. AMD may announce launch dates tomorrow at CES during their livestream or whatnot.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Sorry. I was not clear enough. I would go with the 5820k. It is an excellent cpu and the new series is not worth the hefty price increase.

Is the price difference between the 5820k and 6800k really that big in your country? I mean it should be comparable.

5820k costs here in germany 414 € while 6800k costs 445 €.

15 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Sorry. I was not clear enough. I would go with the 5820k. It is an excellent cpu and the new series is not worth the hefty price increase.

Is the price difference between the 5820k and 6800k really that big in your country? I mean it should be comparable.

5820k costs here in germany 414 € while 6800k costs 445 €.

its like a $70 difference :P

I will be doing a lot of 3D modelling and a lot of 3D rendering as well as a lot of gaming

If I go for the xeons I will get dual xeon e5 2670's 

otherwise, I will go with an overclocked i7 5820k

Just now, frozeNNN said:

But my rendering will be with millions of polygons in a 10 minute animation. Probably even longer with other rendering cases 

Just now, VirusStorm said:

But my rendering will be with millions of polygons in a 10 minute animation. Probably even longer with other rendering cases 

Then be happy while rendering and not happy while gaming

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Then be happy while rendering and not happy while gaming

Will there be a big difference while gaming? I'm planning to run games at 1440p 144hz with gtx 1070 sli

5820K, since you are gaming as well

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Will there be a big difference while gaming? I'm planning to run games at 1440p 144hz with gtx 1070 sli

The vast, vast majority of games do not support or do not run well with dual CPUs, meaning you will be using one CPU for gaming. The individual cores on the E5 2670 are much weaker and slower, so it's going to have a pretty big impact on gaming. 

They're good for multi-threaded applications, but for games, which tend to use a maximum of 4 cores, they're not a good choice. 

I would bessuprised if you could get anywhere near 144fps with a xeon. Gaming is still all about ipc and ghz, any cores past six make virtually no difference while gaming.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The vast, vast majority of games do not support or do not run well with dual CPUs, meaning you will be using one CPU for gaming. The individual cores on the E5 2670 are much weaker and slower, so it's going to have a pretty big impact on gaming. 

They're good for multi-threaded applications, but for games, which tend to use a maximum of 4 cores, they're not a good choice. 

Should I just go with a single 10 core xeon or 8 core xeon then? Or should I stick with the 5820k?

EDIT:

The 10 core xeon would be the e5 2630 v4

Should I just go with a single 10 core xeon or 8 core xeon then? Or should I stick with the 5820k?

5820k. Faster cores will help in gaming more than more.

Again, the high core count Xeons tend to have weaker and slower cores. They're good for things like editing, but just not for gaming. They're not designed with gaming in mind at all. 

If you want to game and edit, stick with the 5820K. If you just want to edit, the Xeon route is better. 

Just now, Unexas. said:

5820k. Faster cores will help in gaming more than more.

But i'm also doing a lot of rendering. It seems like 10 cores would be a good comprimise

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Again, the high core count Xeons tend to have weaker and slower cores. They're good for things like editing, but just not for gaming. They're not designed with gaming in mind at all. 

If you want to game and edit, stick with the 5820K. If you just want to edit, the Xeon route is better. 

Yeah, I guess so