Poll for LTT members in regards to their new thumbnails.

imreloadin

Do the new LTT thumbnails make you want to watch the video?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do the new LTT thumbnails make you want to watch the video?

• Yes, I wouldn't have watched the video otherwise.
    • No, the thumbnail actually made me NOT want to watch the video.
    • I was going to watch the video regardless of the thumbnail shown.

I've seen quite a few comments on the Youtube videos and even on several topics in these very forums in regards to LTT's choice in thumbnails for their videos recently so I decided to make a poll about it so the LTT crew has numbers on people's opinions towards them.

I hope this gives them some kind of statistic to go off of from the viewers that are on the forums to hopefully provide some insight in their decision making process.

I think a lot of people here in this forum are just having a culture shock because they didn't start this channel to have such kind of thumbnails with their faces on it. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, imreloadin said:

I've seen quite a few comments on the Youtube videos and even on several topics in these very forums in regards to LTT's choice in thumbnails for their videos recently so I decided to make a poll about it so the LTT crew has numbers on people's opinions towards them.

I hope this gives them some kind of statistic to go off of from the viewers that are on the forums to hopefully provide some insight in their decision making process.

When people make terrible thumbnails, I usually don't watch the video. I just wanted to see the level of cringe in that specific video and my cringe-o-meter was reading levels over 9000.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I think you're asking a biased sample.

Thing is that the people that are on the forum are the die-hards that will watch no matter what.

It's really about enticing people that wouldn't usually watch - the vide may show up on people's homepage and they will be more likely to click if the thumbnail draws them in.

Personally it doesn't bother me, whatever floats his boat. I think people are overreacting about the change - as they always do.

2 minutes ago, Mug said:

Thing is that the people that are on the forum are the die-hards that will watch no matter what.

Nope. If I feel that I shouldn't watch an LTT video, I won't.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. If I feel that I shouldn't watch an LTT video, I won't.

?

8 hours ago, Mug said:

It's really about enticing people that wouldn't usually watch - the vide may show up on people's homepage and they will be more likely to click if the thumbnail draws them in.

Personally it doesn't bother me, whatever floats his boat. I think people are overreacting about the change - as they always do.

See I think that they'd want to keep they're loyal base happy as if they don't and those people stop watching then who do they have left? The people who randomly view the video for whatever reason? I guess it just seems counter intuitive that they'd do something that makes 1/3 of their once loyal viewers stop watching, based off the pole results so far at least.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

See I think that they'd want to keep they're loyal base happy as if they don't and those people stop watching then who do they have left? The people who randomly view the video for whatever reason? I guess it just seems counter intuitive that they'd do something that makes 1/3 of their once loyal viewers stop watching, based off the pole results so far at least.

I doubt it would be as much as a third of viewers, more like an eighth may be put off.

Thing is the only change is the thumbnails, it's not that important.

When Linus first founded the channel, I'm sure you remember that it was all about unboxings and him giving his opinion on the features of products that weren't good enough to go on NCIX tech tips. When he changed to reviews and completely scrapped the unboxings, people were up in arms. People were even up in arms when he left his living room then when he left the kitchen. Thing is that the human brain is pretty conservative, it doesn't like change. People will complain when you change anything. I remember when the previous thumbnails were introduced. I thought that they were bad like you do. Thing is, people adapt, things change and at the end of the day, if it will make the community larger it makes sense to do it.

I'll still watch if the title has my attention, but the thumbnails alone are a repellent. 

22 hours ago, imreloadin said:

It won't give them much useful information. Thumbnails mostly draw in people who haven't watched the content before. By virtue of being on this forum we are obviously familiar with the content already.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

11 hours ago, Synix said:

Foreword: I usually never use any forums, but since for the first time I'm really unhappy about something LMG related and I'm not the only one, I had a feeling to search for a thread about this topic and leave my two cents.

I'm a long time fan now (way before the LMG days) and loved to see how everything evolved. I could've not imagined the LTT channel becoming what it is now, it's astonishing and just plain awesome. It's so great to see all your hard work and obsession for quality turning into top-notch, widely appreciated content while none of you guys ever became cocky or changed in any other bad kind of way.

Since you really care about your community, it's important for the audience to communicate with you. So let me say this: You became successful without going the "mainstream route", so please don't change that now. These "mainstream" thumbnails don't feel like you, that's one of the reasons why I really don't like them. Honestly, I would have never clicked any of your videos (with these thumbnails), if I didn't know you already. I avoid these kind of thumbnailed videos since they attract an immature audience. Yes, I know change is good, but please reconsider what you want your thumbnails to look like and what they should "say". Right now they say "Fuck yeah I'm so interesting, look at all these things and colors going on! Tech, action, surprise, unicorns, allthethings!".

Sure you won't lose watchers (me included) if you stick with these, as long as the content doesn't go in the same direction. I'm a fan of your good old caption thumbnails, but wouldn't mind them being replaced by something different, which makes sense.

TL;DR: Please target your target audience, not the greatest possible audience no matter what. That is not you.

PS: If that maybe all was just an experiment, you got me :P

Very well said. These thumbnails just don't fit IMO. Won't make me not watch, but... Still. I hate them.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

• 2 weeks later...

I have read some great opinions here and I agree, guys over LMG, my gosh, why? 

Has some market research told you this is a good idea, or is it just some sort of experiment? I just hope you know, what are you doing, but personally, I know this may sounds rude, but these new thumbnails are really making me not watching some of the videos...there are some, which are not that bad, but the vast majority of them is just embarrasing.

21 minutes ago, dropadred said:

I have read some great opinions here and I agree, guys over LMG, my gosh, why? 

Has some market research told you this is a good idea, or is it just some sort of experiment? I just hope you know, what are you doing, but personally, I know this may sounds rude, but these new thumbnails are really making me not watching some of the videos...there are some, which are not that bad, but the vast majority of them is just embarrasing.

Market research and overall views up. Basically theyve told their hardcore fanbase (this forum, basically, and a lot of old fans) to fuck off and theyre back to raking in newbies and the sub 12 year olds who find this shit entertaining.

- snip-

I didn't notice the new thumbnails until people here started complaining about them.

I usually don't really look at thumbnails anyway. I read the title of the video and decide based on that.

Couldn't care less what they look like. I don't remember if it's what I joined him to, but it just looks like Linus being Linus-y

I think this might be like my 4th or 5th post on the forum, I came here just to see what happened with the thumbnails and, as I saw this thread, couldn't resist the urge to dust off my account and tell how much I hate the new thumbnails. They're like your average let's play channel