Nintendo reveals more specs for the Switch except for the ones that matter? That's not good....

AlTech
4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You wanna know something?

My phone might not be able to run Batman Arkham knight or Skyrim or GTA V. But the games it does play, it probably plays them at like 30 fps (or 60 in lesser demanding titles) at 720p. All whilst using Direct X 9 on a phone chipset.

Now tell me how the Switch's performance is acceptable and we should be praising our Japanese overlords.

Sorry to break it to ya but your phone isn't using DX9. Its more than likely using OpenGL, if its a newer model then it will support Vulkan and if its Apple its using Metal.

Even Windows Phone uses OpenGL as its primary GPU API.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

You wanna know something?

My phone might not be able to run Batman Arkham knight or Skyrim or GTA V. But the games it does play, it probably plays them at like 30 fps (or 60 in lesser demanding titles) at 720p. All whilst using Direct X 9 on a phone chipset.

Now tell me how the Switch's performance is acceptable and we should be praising our Japanese overlords.

because the switch, under the hood, is the same architecture as your phone, if it would me my guess to what's actually going on in the switch, it'll be a big arm thing when you plug it in the dock, and it'll be a very downclocked big arm thing to have a battery carryable by the younger half of nintendo's marketshare last a sensible amount.

and you're expecting big titles to run at twice the performance of your phone (running more phone-oriented games), with an acceptable battery life for a handheld which is WAY beyond what any phone can do on that performance level.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

because the switch, under the hood, is the same architecture as your phone, if it would me my guess to what's actually going on in the switch, it'll be a big arm thing when you plug it in the dock, and it'll be a very downclocked big arm thing to have a battery carryable by the younger half of nintendo's marketshare last a sensible amount.

and you're expecting big titles to run at twice the performance of your phone (running more phone-oriented games), with an acceptable battery life for a handheld which is WAY beyond what any phone can do on that performance level.

Not 100% accurate. AFAIK theres only 1 phone that uses a Tegra SoC in existence and even that is the lesser powered K variant. The Tegra X is used mainly in Nvidia Shield TVs, I don't know of anything else that uses it (until the Switch launches)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Not 100% accurate. AFAIK theres only 1 phone that uses a Tegra SoC in existence and even that is the lesser powered K variant. The Tegra X is used mainly in Nvidia Shield TVs, I don't know of anything else that uses it (until the Switch launches)

but it's all ARM at the base, in essence all where tegra differs from what's in all phones out there, is that nvidia tried to squeeze as much gaming performance out a low power platform as they could, adding their own secret sauce GPU to the mix and such. (not that nvidia adding their GPU means much different, because all phones have GPUs, and all phones are constrained by power draw)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Sorry to break it to ya but your phone isn't using DX9. Its more than likely using OpenGL

I'm pretty damn sure that Windows Phones use DirectX exclusively.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Even Windows Phone uses OpenGL as its primary GPU API.

And how have you come to that conclusion?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

He was talking about ARM. ARM is still ARM. It doesn't matter how much Apple or Nvidia mess with it. It's still ARM.

They are of the same architecture.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Which era of computing are you talking about how? Because back when Quake 3 was the shit, people were aiming for 60+ FPS too. That was at the time when "32bit color support!" was a major feature for graphics cards (like the Voodoo5).

That was in early 2000.

Way before that. Mid 90's, if I'm not showing my age too much, To put a date estimate, it was before FF7 PC, which looking up happened in '97. FF7 was the reason I finally bought a serious 3D card for the first time, as software rendering mode was in 320x240, and a 3D card enabled 640x480.

I'm not saying we should accept graphical quality of Pong, but certainly you can't fail a tablet/console for not being PCMR.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

@Master Disaster Even StackOverflow seems to agree with me on this. Trust me. I know what I'm preaching. You can make Direct X games for Windows (and Windows Phone) using templates Microsoft creates in Visual Studio. Why would they not do the same thing for OpenGL if that was supported?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13483179/can-i-use-opengl-es-in-a-windows-phone-8-app

Looking at prices and capacity of SD cards and MicroSD cards tonight it would have been nice to have SD support instead of MicroSD to get higher capacity at a better cost per GB.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

i dont freaking care what fps it runs at. i care the games are fun.

which is exactly the reason the most recent console on my shelf is an original wii, because the games were fun, and pretty much since then nintendo became seriously mehh for me, and the other two options started measuring dick size by shallow performance numbers.

besides, the original wii ran games at 24/30FPS, because guess what, that's what the TV its made to connect to runs at, never seen anyone complain about FPS on the original wii ;)

Plenty of people DO care though, and find them hard to look at. Graphics matter to most people who know what graphics are, especially on this forum...

Besides, no one complains about the wii because that's simply not true. I can't find any evidence of a 24/30fps lock on the wii. Please provide a source, I'll apologize if you prove me wrong.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

5 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Looking at prices and capacity of SD cards and MicroSD cards tonight it would have been nice to have SD support instead of MicroSD to get higher capacity at a better cost per GB.

I'd think they'd have done it to save space, would they not?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

18 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Plenty of people DO care though, and find them hard to look at. Graphics matter to most people who know what graphics are, especially on this forum...

Besides, no one complains about the wii because that's simply not true. I can't find any evidence of a 24/30fps lock on the wii. Please provide a source, I'll apologize if you prove me wrong.

the freaking port on the back of the wii is 24/30 depending on region. it's not voodoo :P

EDIT: this is gonna sound like a huge copout but i actually went to grab my wii to check... and the only controller i can find refuses to pair because its paired to my BT stick, and i'm not about to go trough pairing that thing again.

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

I'd think they'd have done it to save space, would they not?

and because micro SD is actually much more available, when excluding the extremely large sizes, which are probably out of reach of / dont apply to most of their marketshare.

.. would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the freaking port on the back of the wii is 24/30 depending on region. it's not voodoo

Then why did we have 50hz and 60hz options in games on the Wii if it was locked to 24/30?

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

45 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Some people are saying that Tegra X1 had a special SATA controller for developers....

either way having a mechanical drive in a portable device seems like a very bad idea to me. They are heavy, delicate (remember that kids are part of the audience for this) and slow. Maybe putting it in the dock could make sense though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

either way having a mechanical drive in a portable device seems like a very bad idea to me. They are heavy, delicate (remember that kids are part of the audience for this) and slow. Maybe putting it in the dock could make sense though.

and they would most likely use as much power as the rest of the device when on battery :P

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

have you played south park stick of truth? (i'm asking this in good hope seeing your avatar)

That is a rare exception in which it may be justified for the sole reason that the game is trying to emulate exactly a TV show that runs at 24fps. However, I felt very sick playing a lot of the game and would have vastly preferred it at 60 or higher.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

"High Framerates"? You must be new around here.

120 or 144fps is considered "High Framerates". 60fps is just acceptable, nothing more.

Sorry, I wrote my post poorly - I meant to say that high framerates such as 144fps are not new. There have always been counter-strike players hitting that 300fps for the best response time. And I meant that incidentally 60fps is not an achievement that requires new demanding hardware.

I completely agree, 60fps should be the accepted baseline. As it is in line with monitor refresh rates standard. It's not impressive that a game can run at 60fps, it should be the bare minimum.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

21 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the freaking port on the back of the wii is 24/30 depending on region. it's not voodoo :P

EDIT: this is gonna sound like a huge copout but i actually went to grab my wii to check... and the only controller i can find refuses to pair because its paired to my BT stick, and i'm not about to go trough pairing that thing again.

@Natsoup i stand corrected, composite supports 50/60Hz (and this is what the wii outputs), but here's the catch, it's interlaced, so you're only getting half a refresh each frame, essentially meaning you have either half the res (which means half of 480 or 576 lines) or half frequency (24/30), depending on which way you look at it.

i guess thats where the "off memory 24/30hz" comes from :P

to put it in readable terms:

- the system runs at 50/60hz but only needs to push half the "lines" (mind you, this is an analog signal, so it's lines)

- you're seeing all the lines, but they only refresh 24/30 times per second.

and i'm not about to do testing on the smoothness of this, because the scart inputs on my tv have a healthy second of delay.

3 minutes ago, treeroy said:

That is a rare exception in which it may be justified for the sole reason that the game is trying to emulate exactly a TV show that runs at 24fps. However, I felt very sick playing a lot of the game and would have vastly preferred it at 60 or higher.

no, rather, south park: stick of truth is an exception because it is an extremely slow paced game, with very little movement.

it's the sort of game where the higher fps numbers have really no benefit at all. if it was about nausea stick of truth is equally suceptible as any other similar style platformer, the difference between SoT and those titles where you so vastly prefer 60FPS is the speed of the game.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

no, rather, south park: stick of truth is an exception because it is an extremely slow paced game, with very little movement.

it's the sort of game where the higher fps numbers have really no benefit at all. if it was about nausea stick of truth is equally suceptible as any other similar style platformer, the difference between SoT and those titles where you so vastly prefer 60FPS is the speed of the game.

utterly wrong on every level... not even gonna respond to this.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

4 minutes ago, treeroy said:

utterly wrong on every level... not even gonna respond to this.

since it's actually partially on topic, i'd rather you do respond.

23 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

If this was true, then wouldn't the PS Vita have done better than the Nintendo 3DS, considering the PS Vita should technically be more powerful than the Nintendo 3DS?

20 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I completely agree, 60fps should be the accepted baseline. As it is in line with monitor refresh rates standard. It's not impressive that a game can run at 60fps, it should be the bare minimum.

Technically, doesn't the developer be the one that chooses what kind of frame rates that they would target? We all should know that the PS4(Xbox One sometimes) is capable of outputting 60fps, yet there are still many games launching that still are locked at 30fps. Hell, apparently the PS4 Pro doesn't necessarily play all games at 60fps, as it is still the devs that choose how it runs on the better console.

1 minute ago, dragosudeki said:

If this was true, then wouldn't the PS Vita have done better than the Nintendo 3DS, considering the PS Vita should technically be more powerful than the Nintendo 3DS?

Technically, doesn't the developer be the one that chooses what kind of frame rates that they would target? We all should know that the PS4(Xbox One sometimes) is capable of outputting 60fps, yet there are still many games launching that still are locked at 30fps. Hell, apparently the PS4 Pro doesn't necessarily play all games at 60fps, as it is still the devs that choose how it runs on the better console.

i know someone who just got two vita's for something like 100 buckaroo's, in full working order, appareantly they're still stunning little devices..

i think that would make sense, except you forget this is nintendo, and nintendo kinda has a vice on their platform, so i wouldnt be surprised if they have very strict regulations for what developers can and cant do.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i know someone who just got two vita's for something like 100 buckaroo's, in full working order, appareantly they're still stunning little devices..

i think that would make sense, except you forget this is nintendo, and nintendo kinda has a vice on their platform, so i wouldnt be surprised if they have very strict regulations for what developers can and cant do.

They're good devices, but not nearly as successful as the 3DS. If specs were the only thing that mattered, then according to that same logic, the PS Vita should have been more successful because it was more powerful.

Also, there are a couple of games that sometimes run past the 30fps on Nintendo 3DS. I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would say "30fps games only" when there are many games that reach higher rates (disregarding the stupid 3D feature).