Nintendo reveals more specs for the Switch except for the ones that matter? That's not good....

AlTech
2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

a 500GB HDD would be really welcomed.

HDD in a portable is not a great idea, especially if there is a lot of movement while it is spinning.

1 minute ago, MetEishYa said:

HDD in a portable is not a great idea, especially if there is a lot of movement while it is spinning.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

in a handheld? you're mad.

What? are you proposing that the Switch use a 500GB SSD instead?

Yeah lol no. Nobody would pay the price premium for that lol.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

48 minutes ago, Prysin said:

it costs around 26$ per 32G Toshiba NAND chip if you buy in 25 unit bulk... i cannot find the 1k+ bulk price, but looking at the price drop from 1 to 5 to 10 to 25 i'd bet 1k+ is no more then 18.somthing$ a chip.

It might be even lower than that.

The Samsung NAND flash memory found on the S7 is 32GB and comes in at a cost of $7.25. Rassweiler said: “Cost per gigabyte is becoming incredibly low in NAND flash, giving rise to higher mass storage and solid-state drive adoption rates. And we expect even greater price erosion in the future, as new flavors of NAND flash like Samsung’s 3D VNAND penetrate the market and get scale.”

50 minutes ago, porina said:

People of a certain age might recall the days when PC games struggled to even reach 30fps, fiddling with options to get it as good as you can at a decent framerate. That was good enough for everyone we thought at the time. Then 60fps happened. Then 120, 144fps, and ever increasing... Is 60fps the minimum acceptable these days? Why not more, or less? Some, but far from all games, may have some benefit from the higher refresh.

Which era of computing are you talking about how? Because back when Quake 3 was the shit, people were aiming for 60+ FPS too. That was at the time when "32bit color support!" was a major feature for graphics cards (like the Voodoo5).

That was in early 2000.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You do realise Nintendo still haven't officially confirmed what hardware they used in the Wii & Wii U, right. I mean we know because people have taken them apart but big N have never made any statement on the subject.

Expecting them to ever say what hardware they used for Switch is akin to expecting them to allow full frontal nudity in a game on a Nintendo platform. Its never going to happen.

For me what was more worrying was the severe lack of launch titles on the platform, in a 1hr 20m presentation 40 minutes was dedicated to games and only 2 of the games shown were confirmed to be launch titles. If the thing launches with only 2 games it is going to struggle.

Also anybody else notice the lack of a Wii U logo in the ZBOTW trailer?

The trailer was made for specifically for the event, which was about the Switch. Trailer you can find on the web now do include both Switch and Wii U logos at the end.

It's weird how few launch titles they showed, because there are more. They showed their own launch titles, two in total, which is the same amount as Wii and Wii U launched with. 
But Square Enix has announced 3 games for launch now after the presentation was over, so I expect there is more coming from 3rd parties that just weren't present at the presentation. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What? are you proposing that the Switch use a 500GB SSD instead?

Yeah lol no. Nobody would pay the price premium for that lol.

i'm saying it should have a sensible solution, a hard drive in a handheld isnt sensible for many reasons.

let's say skyrim is the largest game in terms of storage they'll put on there, that's 5GB, lets say the smallest one comes in at the size of a CD, around 700MB (now we're getting into huge guesswork, but i need to do something to make you not wish for a portable PS4 pro), and all games in between are spread averagely, ending up at just under 3 gigs per game on average.

how many games do you want on your freaking handheld?

4 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

But Square Enix has announced

they're not their own in-house titles, you know how nintendo is ;)

I am looking forward to the launch of the Switch, but it sure will be a while before I can actually get one. I never even got a Wii U.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

let's say skyrim is the largest game in terms of storage they'll put on there, that's 5GB, lets say the smallest one comes in at the size of a CD, around 700MB (now we're getting into huge guesswork, but i need to do something to make you not wish for a portable PS4 pro), and all games in between are spread averagely, ending up at just under 3 gigs per game on average.

how many games do you want on your freaking handheld?

at least 10, maybe 20....

and then at least 10GB of spare free storage for patches, OS updates and just keeping the drive in a good ish state.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I am looking forward to the launch of the Switch, but it sure will be a while before I can actually get one. I never even got a Wii U.

common suggestion for any kind of launch: sit it out at least long enough for the stores not to be overrun by people wanting to buy one anymore.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

common suggestion for any kind of launch: sit it out at least long enough for the stores not to be overrun by people wanting to buy one anymore.

And see what games there end up being, how the thing runs, if it has any issues.............

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

at least 10, maybe 20....

and then at least 10GB of spare free storage for patches, OS updates and just keeping the drive in a good ish state.

help me out here.. i'm actually trying to picture 20 wii titles...

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

And see what games there end up being, how the thing runs, if it has any issues.............

and dont bite into the bloated launch day pricing ;)

Just now, manikyath said:

and dont bite into the bloated launch day pricing ;)

And learn how to use it in the meantime, find best pricing, if it's something you want or need.........

1 hour ago, porina said:

The built in screen and battery life of the PS4 and XB1 are so much superior... if you're going to compare, at least try to make it somewhat like for like.

People of a certain age might recall the days when PC games struggled to even reach 30fps, fiddling with options to get it as good as you can at a decent framerate. That was good enough for everyone we thought at the time. Then 60fps happened. Then 120, 144fps, and ever increasing... Is 60fps the minimum acceptable these days? Why not more, or less? Some, but far from all games, may have some benefit from the higher refresh.

Hitting 60fps is certainly possible at any reasonably modern hardware level, but the question is at what visual quality? I don't associate Nintendo with extreme time sensitive reaction type gaming where higher fps can be beneficial. Of course people may choose to buy or not buy it for various reasons, but I'd bet that frame rate will not be a consideration for the overwhelming majority of people who are genuinely interested, as opposed to those who will rant about it but were never a serious consideration.

Since when has 60fps been exclusively for "Extreme sensitivity reaction" gaming?

I would sacrifice ALL visual quality for 60fps over 30fps.

And no, high framerates aren't "new". You don't need modern hardware to run 60fps.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

a 500GB HDD would be really welcomed.

but you'd need sata for that, right?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Since when has 60fps been exclusively for "Extreme sensitivity reaction" gaming?

And no, high framerates aren't "new". You don't need modern hardware to run 60fps.

have you played south park stick of truth? (i'm asking this in good hope seeing your avatar)

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

and you'd need more power to spin a drive while you're on the go than for example eMMC, which seems to be extremely popular for HP to put in their $200 shitbooks :P

1 minute ago, treeroy said:

"High Framerates"? You must be new around here.

120 or 144fps is considered "High Framerates". 60fps is just acceptable, nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Some people are saying that Tegra X1 had a special SATA controller for developers....

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

"High Framerates"? You must be new around here.

120 or 144fps is considered "High Framerates". 60fps is just acceptable, nothing more.

its a freaking low power handheld.

for a pc 60 is "acceptable", for a low power handheld, 60 is freaking high, expecting any kind of resolution.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Hopefully there will be a way to expand it, maybe with external storage.

Yeah storage is expandable with microSDXC cards.

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It might be even lower than that.

Which era of computing are you talking about how? Because back when Quake 3 was the shit, people were aiming for 60+ FPS too. That was at the time when "32bit color support!" was a major feature for graphics cards (like the Voodoo5).

That was in early 2000.

And back when I was stuck gaming in 16bit colours because of my Riva Vanta (I'm honestly not sure what's up with it. The drivers call it the Vanta/Vanta LT, it has the core clock speed of a TNT2 M64, and performs worse than a Riva TNT/Viper V550-which the M64 beats).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

$300 put it competing with the PS4 Slim. Hopefully the Switch will get all the app like Netflix etc and have a large array of multi media support.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its a freaking low power handheld.

for a pc 60 is "acceptable", for a low power handheld, 60 is freaking high, expecting any kind of resolution.

You wanna know something?

My phone might not be able to run Batman Arkham knight or Skyrim or GTA V. But the games it does play, it probably plays them at like 30 fps (or 60 in lesser demanding titles) at 720p. All whilst using Direct X 9 on a phone chipset.

Now tell me how the Switch's performance is acceptable and why we should be praising our Japanese overlords.

Go on, i'm listening...