Nintendo reveals more specs for the Switch except for the ones that matter? That's not good....

AlTech
On 1/13/2017 at 1:28 AM, treeroy said:

2 hours battery life is f*cking terrible for a supposed "portable" console

full charge. why, 3d, full volume and nonstop playing. so doesn't bug me.

Nothing to see here, move along

8 hours ago, Pyrii said:

I dunno if it's been mentioned here, but yesterday there were some articles pointing out that the Joycon Grip included with the console doesn't allow for USB charging of the Joycons, instead you have to buy a "JoyCon Chargin Grip" (£25 etc) that allows for this feature. The "JoyCon Grip" that comes with the console is just a simple plastic Joycon Holder.

You can still charge the Joycons on the Switch itself and they have a 20hour battery life. So you can call it adding to the list of complaints if you want. I think it's nitpicking. I really couldn't care less that there's only one out-of-the-box way to charge the two controllers they included.

19 minutes ago, RikvE said:

Nope. Zelda confirmed 900p30. Now that is terrible 

When I posted that comment almost a week ago I thought it was 60fps. Since then it has become clear it's running at 30fps. In any case it's running games better than the Wii U did while undocked. You can compare that to a PC or a PS4 if you want and call it terrible. But given it's a portable device I'll compare it to tablets, phones and portable consoles and think the opposite. That way both of us can be correct. 

Also every other first party game at the event was running at 60fps. Including Mario Kart which was doing it at 1080p in split screen while docked. Given this is the only way to play Nintendo first party games? I think its hard to complain too much. Nintendo seems to be targeting 60fps. Far from terrible

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Just now, RikvE said:

Nope. Zelda confirmed 900p30. Now that is terrible 

Lets be fair here-the Xbone and Pisspoor struggle to manage even that consistently.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Lets be fair here-the Xbone and Pisspoor struggle to manage even that consistently.

But Zelda isn't (at least imo) up to the same quality as AAA titles. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But Zelda isn't (at least imo) up to the same quality as AAA titles. 

Graphically - No

Gameplay wise it seems like it will far exceed the average AAA title.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Graphically - No

That's really subjective :/ 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

On 01/13/2017 at 9:29 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I think this is kind of what they meant.....

2.5 hours of battery for games like Skyrim OR up to 6 hours for games like Mario Kart etc.

If loading screens are anything like the playstation or Xbox you'll get maybe an hour of actual playtime in skyrim if the battery is only going to last two and a half hours.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

11 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

If loading screens are anything like the playstation or Xbox you'll get maybe an hour of actual playtime in skyrim if the battery is only going to last two and a half hours.

The loading times should be a lot better-no shitty 5400RPM laptop HDD+optical disc.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Graphically - No

I was referring to graphically since there was a comparison made to come/ps4 running at similar resolutions/framerates.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, cesrai said:

That's really subjective :/ 

Yes, but my opinion > everyone who disagrees :P

The new Zelda game looks great if you ask me. Both visually and gameplay wise.

I wish it would be 60 FPS and higher resolution, but I don't think it will matter that much if you sit down and enjoy the game.

I mean, Ocarina of Time might be my favorite game of all time, and that ran at 320x240, 17 FPS.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I was referring to graphically since there was a comparison made to come/ps4 running at similar resolutions/framerates.

Yeah I know. I just wanted to say that graphics aren't everything (and it wasn't really directed at you either).

I prefer the cartoony style of Zelda over gray/brown shooters like COD and BF though.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I mean, Ocarina of Time might be my favorite game of all time, and that ran at 320x240, 17 FPS.

I played a PS2 game, that I used to love, recently, and it looked so bad I lost all interest after a few minutes.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I played a PS2 game, that I used to love, recently, and it looked so bad I lost all interest after a few minutes.

Well then either the game wasn't good due to the gameplay, or your a graphics snob, could also be a game that aged like crap though nintendo with the exception of N64 titles has pretty much avoided that by using stylized graphics. (most ps2 games still look fine to me and I emulate them so....)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wish it would be 60 FPS and higher resolution, but I don't think it will matter that much if you sit down and enjoy the game.

That comes down to the individual and what you're accustomed to. When I was 14 and playing one of the first 3D action games ever made, I could sit down and "just enjoy the game." I hadn't had the next 18 years of gaming experiences yet, and I didn't have a near-infinite library of PC games also competing for my attention. And even then, I remember being fully aware of the fact that Ocarina of Time felt more sluggish than the 2D games on SNES and Genesis, even if I didn't fully understand or care why.

To me, a $299 console + $49 game (+ putting up with all the extra Nintendo ecosystem nonsense) is too much to ask for an action RPG in 2017 that may not even maintain 30 FPS according to some accounts. I'm going to be voting with my wallet on this one, and I'll just hope it gets a re-release in another console generation or two.

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Did anyone provide sauce for the 900p 30fps claims? Because I don't see any, and no sauce equals no argument in my mind.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-and-wii-u-differences-outlined

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

Thanks for the sauce, interesting that this is the case it makes me think they kept render distance very far given that the stylized graphics should help some with performance, maybe boss battles were to much to keep stable given Nintendo's propensity toward leviathans as bosses.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Thanks for the sauce, interesting that this is the case it makes me think they kept render distance very far given that the stylized graphics should help some with performance, maybe boss battles were to much to keep stable given Nintendo's propensity toward leviathans as bosses.

I don't know… in retrospect it seems like it shouldn't have been so surprising. Apparently Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (neither of which I've played) ran at 30 as well, even their re-releases. I'm actually unsure there has ever been a 3D Zelda game that ran at 60 FPS.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:45 AM, AluminiumTech said:

it is! You need good hardware and game developers to optimize their games to get the performance!

Great optimizations cannot save bad hardware.

Good optimization can and has saved bad hardware. Look at the original Doom. The processors of the time had a difficult time rendering 3D graphics and the developer, id Software, was able to get very appealing 3D graphics using a 2D plane.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Good optimization can and has saved bad hardware. Look at the original Doom. The processors of the time had a difficult time rendering 3D graphics and the developer, id Software, was able to get very appealing 3D graphics using a 2D plane.

Not to mention I wouldn't even call it bad hardware, its not super powerful but clearly the battery and thermal restrictions of the form factor played a role in that, and given how the form factor is the main reason I want one I think it was a good decision (since why would I want a PS4 for example when PCs do the same things without online fees or steam sales/emulation)

On 1/13/2017 at 8:17 AM, AluminiumTech said:

a 500GB HDD would be really welcomed.

And then you drop the tablet and the platter flies out like a saw blade...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

On 1/13/2017 at 8:45 AM, manikyath said:

and you'd need more power to spin a drive while you're on the go than for example eMMC, which seems to be extremely popular for HP to put in their $200 shitbooks :P

The amperage required to spin the drive to operating speed would probably knock out more than a few minutes of game-time since the bulk of the draw is just spin-up. Kind of how a light bulb requires more energy to turn on than to maintain.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

The amperage required to spin the drive to operating speed would probably knock out more than a few minutes of game-time since the bulk of the draw is just spin-up. Kind of how a light bulb requires more energy to turn on than to maintain.

idunno man, between running my laptop off a hard drive or off an SD card makes a pretty nice difference in battery life.

and the power draw isnt only spinning the drive, there's quite a bit of power going into clunking that head around as well.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:45 AM, AluminiumTech said:

it is! You need good hardware and game developers to optimize their games to get the performance!

Great optimizations cannot save bad hardware.

Tell that to Mario Kart 8 and Gran Turismo 4.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Tell that to Mario Kart 8 and Gran Turismo 4.

mario kart 8 is the game that made me stop and "recalibrate" when i realised the kind of hardware it was running on.

short summary:

- 2GB ram, of which one dedicated to OS functions, one GB dedicated to the game, shared between cpu and gpu.

- 45nm tri-core PowerPC, with a total of a whopping 2MB of cache

- 40nm AMD GPU, with a whopping 32MB eDRAM

EDIT: i wanna add, these specs are still "unconfirmed", in case someone is still crying that nintendo isnt measuring meat size against other consoles with their switch.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

mario kart 8 is the game that made me stop and "recalibrate" when i realised the kind of hardware it was running on.

short summary:

- 2GB ram, of which one dedicated to OS functions, one GB dedicated to the game, shared between cpu and gpu.

- 45nm tri-core PowerPC, with a total of a whopping 2MB of cache

- 40nm AMD GPU, with a whopping 32MB eDRAM

Yeah, despite the weird issue where it drops a frame every second or so (which I've never noticed), it not only runs fucking rock solid, it looks the part too.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, despite the weird issue where it drops a frame every second or so (which I've never noticed), it not only runs fucking rock solid, it looks the part too.

i've only seen it on livestreams, but for the amount of shyte going on on screen, i'm amazed even that experience is as smooth as it is, we have $2000 servers crapping their pants trying to encode a game running on a potato xD