[update2]Razer laptop prototypes stolen at CES

Bsmith

One must wonder, how the fudge can they just walk out, with 2 laptops, without being caught. Well here is 1 method...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 1/9/2017 at 3:16 AM, Jamtoad said:

or someone's reverse engineering 

There's really nothing to reverse engineer about the laptop though...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

On 9.1.2017 at 1:35 PM, AluminiumTech said:

In China and Hong Kong, stealing is highly looked down upon

its not stealing , its copying , thats an honor right? 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

In completely unrelated News: Thermaltake is soon to announce their new 3 screen laptop and projector system.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

On 1/9/2017 at 7:35 AM, AluminiumTech said:

In China and Hong Kong, stealing is highly looked down upon. It's a really big crime for them :(. It's not something someone would do lightly.

Not stealing designs. It's the home of legal retardation in terms of stealing designs. 

What were the security doing there?? Stuffing themself with donuts and coffee or what??

Anyway, I don't feel sorry for a scum like Razer.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

7 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

What were the security doing there?? Stuffing themself with donuts and coffee or what??

How exactly is Razer scum.....

And even the best security in the world will miss something when you have so much foot traffic over such a long period of time. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

29 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

How exactly is Razer scum.....

And even the best security in the world will miss something when you have so much foot traffic over such a long period of time. 

In that case slap an RFID inside the units and set up readers at every exit of the building... :dry:

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

In that case slap an RFID inside the units and set up readers at every exit of the building... :dry:

Just fit Samsung Note 7 batteries into the prototypes. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Or just at the exit to the room...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Who ever stole it, you bet they will release a 3 screen monitor laptop or something.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I bet you $1 nothing was actually stolen and this was all a marketing ploy. Even if they "catch the person(s) who did it", I'm still under the impression this stuff wasn't actually stolen. There's no fookin' way someone was able to just take those things and walk out with them.

6 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

its not stealing , its copying , thats an honor right? 

5 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Not stealing designs. It's the home of legal retardation in terms of stealing designs. 

In countries like China and Hongkong there is a difference between stealing and copying, the idea of "intellectual property" does not exist there, idea's are free to be copied and improved. taking a physical object/device without permission however is indeed unthinkable there, not even the government does it when it comes down to taking houses from people, they have to leave willingly, otherwise building plans are adapted to the person not moving out and they build around that house.(that seriously happens every now and then)

5 hours ago, CTR640 said:

If you have ever been part of any security related matter then you know it's not as easy as it sounds, people don't see 360 degrees and cant pay continuous attention to everything that moves on a busy showfloor, not even in front of a set of TV monitors.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

would be a great idea, the organization(CES) would need to cooperate with it though.

24 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I bet you $1 nothing was actually stolen and this was all a marketing ploy. Even if they "catch the person(s) who did it", I'm still under the impression this stuff wasn't actually stolen. There's no fookin' way someone was able to just take those things and walk out with them.

mentioned before and by far the worst idea ever for marketing. things like this as "marketing" are more likely to backfire, besides what are they trying to sell here? their name? that's already widely known, just like their products.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

11 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

mentioned before and by far the worst idea ever for marketing. things like this as "marketing" are more likely to backfire, besides what are they trying to sell here? their name? that's already widely known, just like their products.

Microsoft had the concept for what Razer is calling Project Ariana YEARS ago, yet now most people are probably just now hearing about it. There were concepts for what Razer is calling Project Valerie, and now more people are just now hearing about that idea. Both projects from Razer that aren't original ideas at all. It's free marketing gold. It's a controversy that someone was able to steal these units at CES of all places. People are talking about it, media outlets are writing articles about it.

They are trying to sell whatever they can with their name on it. They've now convinced people that Project Valerie and Ariana are Razer's original ideas, which they're not.

Just like how Budweiser continues to pay millions and millions of dollars for NFL advertisements, despite that name already being synonymous with sports and drinking - if you don't know anything about alcohol, you go into a gas station and most of what you'll see are Budweiser, a couple other popular brands and then everything else*. Everything else* will look like "cheap off brand stuff" to you. How could Budweiser afford all of that marketing if they weren't any good, right? (Wrong).

It's the same concept. The buzz got started with these two concept products that Razer made and they'll probably actually be able to bring at least one of them to the market since people who didn't pay attention to CES will know about these two products - Razer will be able to gauge, for free, how well these products would sell if they made them available for purchase.

6 hours ago, Bsmith said:

-- more likely to backfire --

5 hours ago, Kloaked said:

-snip-

To add to this, I also don't really see how it could backfire. Let's say it was all a marketing ploy and Razer got discovered....who would actually give a shit? Surely far less people would care (for more than a quarter of a millisecond) that Razer "lied" than the number of people that only heard about it because of the thefts. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

37 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

To add to this, I also don't really see how it could backfire. Let's say it was all a marketing ploy and Razer got discovered....who would actually give a shit? Surely far less people would care (for more than a quarter of a millisecond) that Razer "lied" than the number of people that only heard about it because of the thefts. 

Well it would seriously hurt the brand imo.  They would have a reputation for pulling a big scheme and lying

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

27 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well it would seriously hurt the brand imo.  They would have a reputation for pulling a big scheme and lying

"oh it dint got stolen after all , it just fell behind the sofa" *laughtrack* *freezeframe* *seinfeild theme*

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

"oh it dint got stolen after all , it just fell behind the sofa" *laughtrack* *freezeframe* *seinfeild theme*

Yeah, no, I don't think it would go over like that.  If there's one thing the internet as a whole is known for, it's hating companies with an undying passion.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:00 PM, dragoon20005 said:

check CCTV footage will take hours

You can check it at 5x speed though :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Stuff gets stolen all the time from everywhere. All you can do is get better security and try to catch the person. Don't know why so many people are talking about this so much.

2 hours ago, Paranoid Kami said:

Stuff gets stolen all the time from everywhere. All you can do is get better security and try to catch the person. Don't know why so many people are talking about this so much.

That sounds like something someone who stole the prototype would say....

/s :P 

I think because:

• it's surprising, given that this shouldn't have been possible, even with poor security
  • it's well publicized
  • it makes no sense since afaik the "prototypes" didn't actually have any unique or new tech in them, they were just basically visual models
  • perhaps other reasons I'm forgetting...

I think it has been all figured out

15941169_1236895699721439_4995592113317921029_n.jpg

OP Anton Ivars

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

*Accidental Double Post removed*

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

7 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

I think it has been all figured out

15941169_1236895699721439_4995592113317921029_n.jpg

the image doesn't work. Repost it pls.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),