[update2]Razer laptop prototypes stolen at CES

Bsmith

Would be funny if the ones that were stolen were just barely functional enough to pass for the show and in reality the person who stole it basically got a paperweight.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

Would be funny if the ones that were stolen were just barely functional enough to pass for the show and in reality the person who stole it basically got a paperweight.

I would suspect the driver support for the prototypes is akin to slapping your boss on the arse and asking for a pay rise.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Probably a paperweight with just enough drivers to run a video of the gameplay :)

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

Just now, JackHubbleday said:

Probably a paperweight with just enough drivers to run a video of the gameplay :)

I think the same, even still, let us give for a moment that the 3-screen laptop was fully functioning laptop.  The moment they format it good luck getting proper driver support.  

Also, I imagine the hardware ID is logged. As will be the MAC address.  It's just an ornament really.  Notwithstanding the longevity of the hardware given it was just a prototype meant for demo at CES.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

4 minutes ago, Kierax said:

-snip-

Would be nice if it could serve as an external monitor ehe  :L

Groomlake Authority

Is this even that complex... I mean laptop with 2 screens on the sides. It doesn't take a genius to copy it. Razer laptops are on the market pretty long too, so it's not about internals. Makes no sense to me. 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

1 minute ago, Ekst4zy said:

Is this even that complex... I mean laptop with 2 screens on the sides. It doesn't take a genius to copy it. Razer laptops are on the market pretty long too, so it's not about internals. Makes no sense to me. 

I agree, either some small time company really wanted the design to copy.  Or it was some opportunistic thief (most likely) who saw a chance to have a sweet laptop.  

I just don't see it being any of the "press" there to showcase CES and the items from the manufacturers, this is their career, to risk it for what amounts to a Razer Blade with 2 extra 4K screens is just not worth it.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

I agree, either some small time company really wanted the design to copy.  Or it was some opportunistic thief (most likely) who saw a chance to have a sweet laptop.  

I just don't see it being any of the "press" there to showcase CES and the items from the manufacturers, this is their career, to risk it for what amounts to a Razer Blade with 2 extra 4K screens is just not worth it.

Maybe... Collectors value? I mean it's the only one.  Also, it might never be an actual product. 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Ekst4zy said:

Maybe... Collectors value? I mean it's the only one.  Also, it might never be an actual product. 

And the first time someone aware of its history spies it in someone's collection, only needs one tweet.. just not worth it.  It feels like an impulsive "want-take-have" type scenario without any planning or forethought of the issues which will arise afterwards.

Just my gut instinct tbh.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

And the first time someone aware of its history spies it in someone's collection, only needs one tweet.. just not worth it.  It feels like an impulsive "want-take-have" type scenario without any planning or forethought of the issues which will arise afterwards.

Just my gut instinct tbh.

Isn't it the same with stolen paintings tho?  

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Ekst4zy said:

Isn't it the same with stolen paintings tho?  

I'd imagine the kind of person who stole this is the type who wants to use it daily.

It's not the first three screened laptop ever conceived, just one of the first i believe to be put together.  However surely any value of uniqueness goes out of the window if Razer puts the concept into production.  

35 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Hahaha, Linus picked a bad time to joke about stealing. 

To be fair, it was way before razer noticed their prototype was stolen. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Tell that to quite literally every car they copy which their court system allows them to do. Car makers have stopped trying to fight it since every time they take it to Chinese court they lose on the grounds the car has a different name so not coping case dismissed.

Personal stealing is hugely frowned upon, corporate stealing is the norm.

most of the cars look like someone discribed it down the phone though 

I lurk a lot

36 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I think the same, even still, let us give for a moment that the 3-screen laptop was fully functioning laptop.  The moment they format it good luck getting proper driver support.  

Also, I imagine the hardware ID is logged. As will be the MAC address.  It's just an ornament really.  Notwithstanding the longevity of the hardware given it was just a prototype meant for demo at CES.

Surely has tracking software built into OS and maybe a physical tracker too

Its not like they dont steal from customers *cough* $500 for GPU case *cough*

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

57 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

It's the mechanical part where, who ever stole it can reverse engineer and copy it. A example will be the workings of a keyboard.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

@SteelSeries yet another successful attempt to twart Razer.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

25 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

Surely has tracking software built into OS and maybe a physical tracker too

they where just dummy units on the show flaw the only thing that worked was the screens ie no OS

I lurk a lot

26 minutes ago, peej said:

they where just dummy units on the show flaw the only thing that worked was the screens ie no OS

that was my earlier argument but they would still have tracking software and/or hardware in 

28 minutes ago, Johners said:

It would be interesting to know what prototypes were stolen.

The projector and the triple screen laptop, idk the names

6 minutes ago, JackHubbleday said:

The projector and the triple screen laptop, idk the names

Not calling 'bs', but do we have concrete sources yet?

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

with the amount of cctv at the show the level of stupid to even attempt to five finger discount anything is astronomical, i give it a day, two at most until they know exactly where the prototype is.

Man, that sucks. I'm sure it would qualify as industrial espionage though, so quite serious.

Someone says it could be Linus, but he would have dropped it on the way out. And to whoever stole it: It's razer, it will break within a month.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro