Linus tech tips report card 2016/17

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Don't get me wrong if you were polite and willing to I would probably show examples and explain how to however I won't stress myself over something you're already having a locked mind on it and just your very ignorant statement over "bronies" already quite frankly ensures that I'm not interested in wasting time in a vain attempt of changing your prejudice over it, have a good evening.

you cant tell me its not true, you dont find maybe "normal" people doing stuff like roleplaying unless they are playing an RPG games. while yes its not only weird people doing it, it seems more weird people do it compared to "normal" people.

and im using the terms weird and normal just for my point so dont get into stuff about there is no normal and shit like that. becase im just using it to define people who do weird shit and people who dont do weird shit. becase yes no one is "normal" 

out of all the twitch streams I have been part of 80% of the people i saw using /me (to RP) had names like AnimeNekoKitty and stuff like that.

like I said im not hating, idc what people pick to jack off too, you do you baby boo 

(idk if you can tell by my text but im very calm and just talking right now, this is not an argumentative/hateful thing just a conversation)

Views are money. LTT is a business and they seem primarily concerned with concentrating on that aspect of what the channel has become. Thus, a large amount of vacuous click-bait.

The unfortunate consequence is that content and quality are dictated by whatever maximizes views, rather than any kind of creative vision or artistic dignity.

26 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

I believe they have become way to profit orientated and have dumped their past down the tube. They have become showbiz prostitutes who'll give up anything for bigger bucks.

Well wouldn't you be if your livelihood is literally your three YouTube channels? He has to take care of 3 kids mind you. If that is the direction the industry is going, he has to follow it or else the entire thing is going under.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Jamtoad said:

if you do stuff like /me cries, or using emoji yes  (kinda why they were created to express emotion over text)

so tell me what emotion i am meaning to portray in this text.

my favorite color is green.

people dont understand you kinda have to nowadays to stay relevant, if you post stuff that most people find boring they wont watch it, thats why clickbait exists

Not necessarily there are plenty of yters that create quality content with shitty equipment that show they don't have a deep pocket but the content is still watched and gets a lot of love. I think LTTMG is a case of a business going for quantity over quality, they became big but lost their sense of where they came from. This is very common with all kinds of business where they forget what they originated from which set them aside from everyone else and still can. Some businesses continue to keep their traditional way of doing things and they continue to prosper. Lastly, I'd like to point out that LTTMG has turned into a business, which I think ruined everything.

1 hour ago, WhatComesAround said:

Not necessarily there are plenty of yters that create quality content with shitty equipment that show they don't have a deep pocket but the content is still watched and gets a lot of love. I think LTTMG is a case of a business going for quantity over quality, they became big but lost their sense of where they came from. This is very common with all kinds of business where they forget what they originated from which set them aside from everyone else and still can. Some businesses continue to keep their traditional way of doing things and they continue to prosper. Lastly, I'd like to point out that LTTMG has turned into a business, which I think ruined everything.

can you show me some channels like that? the only ones i know like that are small channels in their own genre that have no big competitors,. like TheAfterPrsionShow, there is very little channels like his, and surely no big channels with millions of subs like his. and thats why he can get away with it. 

there as so many tech channels they need to do what they can do to get people to click on the videos.

Just remember, the customers come first.  We (the viewers) are their customers.  Regardless if you pay or not.  

Happy customers should come before more money.  
Because without happy customers, you probably won't be getting any money.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Just remember, the customers come first.  We (the viewers) are their customers.  Regardless if you pay or not.  

Happy customers should come before more money.  
Because without happy customers, you probably won't be getting any money.

You're confusing who the customer is and who the product is.  Sponsors are their customers.  We are the product.  That is how all media works from YouTube to your local newspaper.

Laws only govern the honest.

7 hours ago, Jamtoad said:

to tell him to stop watching if he's gonna be a crybaby. thought that was clear lol

So then you care.

9 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

You can see awfully a lot of emotion through text, have you never role played in your life?

i willing to bet he hasnt... but something tells me you've paraded around your house in some pantie hose and a fire hat more than a few times in your life ....

;)

1 hour ago, JCBiggs said:

i willing to bet he hasnt... but something tells me you've paraded around your house in some pantie hose and a fire hat more than a few times in your life ....

;)

Oh my boyfriend is even more into the ponies than I am, you'd be amazed the things he buys for me to wear sometimes xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I just got home from work, opened YouTube and was greeted by Linus and Luke staring at random stuff in the thumbnails. Then I closed YouTube and grabbed a book.

Please LTT-Team, go back to your own style. I (and if this thread is anything to go by) a lot of other people liked it so much better. Your views may be increasing at the moment, but you are annoying a lot of long-time subscribers, people who watch every.single.video you have uploaded in all those years. And I think all those views account for more that all the "clickbait views" you seem to be getting recently

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Honestly I kinda hope they quit doing these new styled thumbnails or at least dial back the video names to something reasonable. I'm pretty sure most of their increase is just in people seeing the clickbait and then don't care about the actual content.  I know at least for myself I've been watching far less of their videos lately because I hate rewarding clickbait and their recent titles and thumbnails don't give me the idea that the video will be quality and professionally done.

1) Meh I really don't care but whatever you say

2) They have a lot of new writers it seems, but not really many more presenters. It's fairly evident that Linus and Luke can't really sit down and write scripts it's not their task anymore and while adding some "ad lib" spaces for them on the script might help, I think they need to risk it more and train more people on the staff to be presenters. We know Taran is capable, Brandon and Ed are also not totally cringe and Berkel could help out outside of channel super fun so just those 4 could add a lot more variety to the mix.

That's the end of my $0.02

-------

Current Rig

-------

i don't even look at the thumbnail i just read the title. my 1 cent, the thumbnails are not click bait at all or even close.

tldr= ltt is trash? 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I totally agree with the clickbait style thumbnails and titles as they have gotten worse recently. I get it that's the current trend with youtube but it just makes them look "unprofessional", for a lack of a better word.  I don't understand the need to present themselves like Buzzfeed when their videos are clearly better that that.

As for video content sometimes being inconsistent, I think this is partially the product of having to produce videos for 3 channels. Plus their main channel has at least 1 new video uploaded everyday. That's a pretty hefty workload. Sometimes quality may suffer a bit when you have to worry about quantity. However, their hands are sort of tied as part of being a relevant youtuber is to have new content on a consistent basis. Also, keep in mind that the more videos they upload, the more ad spots they can offer to potential sponsors, and these built in ads are where the majority of the income comes from.

It's amazing to see how much LTT has grown from its humble beginnings inside Linus's garage to currently having their own studio in a multi-unit warehouse.  The channel has shifted away from its roots where they do unboxings/building guides/actual in-depth reviews to a more broader, generalized approach, with a more mainstream appeal.  Personally, I likes his older videos better.  I find myself not watching his new stuff on a more frequent basis as sometimes I find it to be shallow.  Maybe the analytics speak otherwise, but some of the new videos just don't appeal to me. I guess I'm in the minority

Gotta love how defensive people get when someone says something bad about Linus. But what's even more fun is seeing all the horrible excuses people come up with.

Baww stop being butthurt! You're overreacting! You're immature

The OP very calmly explained what he thinks and brought up several things he dislikes with the new videos. The only ones who are butthurt here are the ones who get mad at OP for expressing how he feels in a mature way, and explaining what he would like to see change.

You know, constructive criticisms.

A real fan is someone who cares about the direction the channel is heading, and is willing to voice his/her concerns. A terrible fan is the type who just licks someone's ass and agrees with everything.

Who would you want to have as your friend?

Person 1, who tells you to put the keys and get in his car instead. You're drunk and getting in the car to drive home is a terrible idea.

Or person 2, who sees his drunk friend get in the car and instead of stopping him just goes "OK everyone, nobody try and stop him. We should all support his decision to drive when drunk. Anyone who tries to stop him is a butthurt hater".

He is a business first

Being a business does not mean you have no integrity and should only care about making money. There is this great quote from one of the chiefs/founders/whatever of Amazon.

A book publisher asked him why they allowed negative reviews on their website, because an item with lots of negative reviews will most likely not sell that well. The response was something along the lines of:
"We are not in the business of selling books. We are in the business of satisfying our customers".

I completely agree with that statement. You should prioritize pleasing your viewers first, not making money. Making money comes naturally if you provide a good product or service.

Too bad Linus' content has been complete garbage for a long time now, so he goes for quantity instead.

It's the current trend. He has to do it to stay relevant.

You know, just doing what everyone else does makes you dull and boring. Besides, this entire "argument" is based on the assumption that the channel has to grow, and growing the channel is so important that it is worth sacrificing the quality of the channel.

Fuck that. I'd rather have a small channel which makes good content, than a large one that produces cancer buzzfeed-tier content.

Why are you, the viewers, concerned by the size of his channel anyway? It's not like Linus is paying you, so what you should care about is how good the content is and not how much money the content makes.

Don't know about you, but these thumbnails made me unsubscribe from LTT. The only reason why I hadn't already done so was because they occasionally had a good video, and being subscribed didn't bother me (could just ignore their videos). Now however, I am actually embarrassed to have their videos show up in my feed.

On 1/9/2017 at 2:55 AM, acturisme said:

You're confusing who the customer is and who the product is.  Sponsors are their customers.  We are the product.  That is how all media works from YouTube to your local newspaper.

No, we aren't the product.  We are the customers.  The sponsors are also customers.

But the sponsors realize due to the many viewers (customers) LTT has, they can pay for advertisement in hopes of gaining more customers for themselves.

It's no different than Apple or Samsung paying Walmart to feature their products in the electronics section. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 1/8/2017 at 11:32 PM, Jamtoad said:

good dont watch them anymore then, wont hurt them in anyway.

what works works, he is a businessman first. cant tell me you wouldn't do that too if you made you extra money.

and if you said you would well youll get left behind by the people who do what he does then youll have no money.

no need to be aggressive about it, truth is most channels that drives a large group, including me away, and really brings others in with a  negative impression. I cannot tell you how many comments and dislikes I see based on thumbnails and misleading titles. Yes, it increases views. LMG has to ask themselves- quantity or quality of views? Do the want more revenue and traffic int he short term but lost respect in the long term? Keep in mind it's not just ads they run, when they back a sponsor's product, do the viewers trust their endorsement? 

I guess this really increased their views big time as someone on this tread mentioned, I don't have the numbers but if they're sticking with it, it must be working. I understand it's a business decision, he's got a lot of employees, and they can't just do whatever they want and then proceed to light the place on fire and leave, a la Tech Syndicate. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch