Linus tech tips report card 2016/17

To the Linus Media Group Team

I guess this is a long time listener, first time caller situation. The recent changes to Linus tech tips have made me want to comment and reach out to the LMG team to let them know how they're doing from a long time viewer's perspective

First of all I want to congratulate what Linus and his team has achieved over the years, I've been watching LTT for probably around 5 years now and I've seen them progress from random outdoor unboxings to the bookcase set and from the iconic kitchen to the amazing office you guys have built. I'm sure many people on this forum and the millions of viewers you've gathered over the years on you tube appreciate what you have done for the community in terms of inspiring interest in the computer industry, creating entertaining tech related content and being a source of excellent LTT goofs and gaffs. 

I'm writing this post today because for the first time in my 5 years of watching I feel your team has changed parts of LTT in a way that goes against what I feel is the 'LTT identity', My intention is not to offend anyone who works on the content of the videos, I understand the incredible amount of work that goes into LTT and the fantastic drive your team puts into improving the content everyday. Any forum members who feel the same or have their own opinion are free to comment below, the more perspective we have as a community, the better the direction LTT will go in in the future.

Here are the points of change that don't seem to gel with what LTT should be.

1. Thumbnails
The idea of refreshing the thumbnails to a new style is an attractive one, however I find that they stand out less than the old huge white text on photo style. The new thumbnails look like they are suited for an 'indie' tech channel, and I feel less compelled to click on them. The biggest problem I have with the new thumbnails is that they're incredibly clickbait-ey and somewhat unpleasing to have show up in my sub feed.
Here is an example of a clickbait thumbnail

2017_01_09_14_05_25_Linus_Tech_Tips_You_

Watching the video you'll see that there was no water involved, Luke wore the lab coat for only 3 seconds of the video for the sake of the thumbnail. and the entire content of the video was just swapping a HDD for an SSD in a laptop.
Most of your viewers could see this thumbnail was completely off topic and misleading. 

Here is an example of an unpleasant thumbnail

30119cd912.png

Now I know this is meant to be some sort of a joke, but do you guys really think your viewers enjoy having images of Linus' crotch with a banana shopped into it popping up on their feed. I fancy myself as a mature person, and I frankly don't want to see such a crude thumbnail like that showing up. I ,however, don't mind if you pop these sort of jokes inside the video. 

(some of you may argue that theres worse stuff on youtube but we arent comparing LTT to those cancerous channels, we are comparing LTT to what LTT have done great before)

I think many of us would prefer if you switched back to the old style of thumbnails, it used to be a case of insta-click when i saw that iconic thumbnail, now I find i'm scrolling past these new videos without realising i'm missing a video from my favorite tech youtuber.

2. Video content

The first part of this pointer is in regards to the scripting of the videos, both Linus and Luke feel more like they're reading off a script, which i know they've always done but you can tell the scripts don't feel as natural as they could be. Linus doesnt really speak like himself when he's reading another persons script, and its very obvious when you see how Linus presents at CES vs the scripted office reviews. I find that linus is far more entertaining when he's relying on his natural presenting abilities rather than reading off a prompter and I'm sure other people feel this too due to the demand that linus bring back his old unboxing style or film more seasons of scrapyard wars because there's this charm that linus has when he's freeballing a video and that charm is what we all subscribed for. BTW I've thoroughly enjoy all the CES content this year so and I really appreciate the hard work that goes to covering that show. 

The second part is the strange content that been posted on LTT. The quality of the content in the video seems unfiltered, videos such the recent DIY Waterproofing video which was a fail was still posted and it just feels like
"oh we've already filmed it so we might as well post it" The only real Linus tech tip we got from those videos is to not do what linus does and we all know that already. But on a more serious note, the video wasn't that informative and I feel like I wasted 11 minutes. It would be greatly appreciated if the videos were somewhat curated so the viewers actually get something out of it.

This being said, the LTT team is still doing great content, all the CES videos, Weirdest $h!t you bought on amazon, macbook pro review and DIY desk PC are examples of the great content we know and love (they also happen to have more views) My point is that I wish the content would be consistently good and the team would leave out the less than informative videos.  

Asides from those two points, I think the team is doing a hell of a job. I'm not sure if anyone  on the team will actually see this message but hopefully the community agrees and the message gets somewhere.

Thank you for reading my post and perspectives, feel free to add your own points.

as much as I want to laugh at the idea of them getting a report card, the thumbnails have been bottom barrel clickboat shit. 
This isn't theRichest. 

LTT is supposed to be better than that. 

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

11 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

as much as I want to laugh at the idea of them getting a report card, the thumbnails have been bottom barrel clickboat shit. 
This isn't theRichest. 

LTT is supposed to be better than that. 

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

it lowkey looks cringe then again it drags me in because im one of the sad souls who gets affected by this shit :( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

it lowkey looks cringe then again it drags me in because im one of the sad souls who gets affected by this shit :( 

really? It drives me far away. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

21 minutes ago, sockeater said:

I fancy myself as a mature person, and I frankly don't want to see such a crude thumbnail like that showing up.

Oh how mature of you to make a fuss over a silly thumbnail.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm one of ltts stupid 13 year olds 

?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Honestly the thumbnails have been trolly but have actually captured to theme of the video very well. Further the quality of LTTs materials hasn't changed much, which is perfectly fine. Basing an entire book of a post on complaining about thumbnails seems like a huge waste of time.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

LTT_Thumbnails.png

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/815706362696998912

Seems like they don't really like it either, but have to "stick with it" because of the stupid youtube algorithm.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

Oh how mature of you to make a fuss over a silly thumbnail.

I always do private browsing so when I close it logs me out and I get a fresh session when I start, no targeted ads mostly. The thumbnails on the videos youtube promotes not only give me cancer, some of them break the content rules (community guidelines) and often are really disturbing/disgusting. Hell there was one that involved copious amounts of puss for a solid month there. 

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I'm one of ltts stupid 13 year olds 

?

At 23 I often feel like a creep here. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

LTT_Thumbnails.png

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/815706362696998912

Seems like they don't really like it either, but have to "stick with it" because of the stupid youtube algorithm.

youtube is cancer and I understand. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

good dont watch them anymore then, wont hurt them in anyway.

what works works, he is a businessman first. cant tell me you wouldn't do that too if you made you extra money.

and if you said you would well youll get left behind by the people who do what he does then youll have no money.

1 minute ago, Jamtoad said:

good dont watch them anymore then, wont hurt them in anyway.

There is no need for such aggression, he is just expressing his opinion in a fair way he doesn't need to be put down for that. You have different views to him and you need to accept that.

1 hour ago, jackson-taliana said:

There is no need for such aggression, he is just expressing his opinion in a fair way he doesn't need to be put down for that. You have different views to him and you need to accept that.

i guess i just dont care becase it doesn't affect me in anyway, the videos are still the same just the thumbnail is different 

i guess i just dont care becase it doesn't affect me in anyway, the videos are still the same just the thumbnail is different 

Then why are you even replying?

1 hour ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Then why are you even replying?

to tell him to stop watching if he's gonna be a crybaby. thought that was clear lol

to tell him to stop watching if he's gonna be a crybaby. thought that was clear lol

crybaby? What I saw was him expressing his feelings in a mature and peaceful way 

The thumbnails really have been bad, I doubt they will be losing viewers over it as much as it is a clear decrease in quality though.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, jackson-taliana said:

crybaby? What I saw was him expressing his feelings in a mature and peaceful way 

becase you cant see emotion in text, i could mean to be singing this to you and you dont know that.

becase you cant see emotion in text, i could mean to be singing this to you and you dont know that.

You can see awfully a lot of emotion through text, have you never role played in your life?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I believe they have become way to profit orientated and have dumped their past down the tube. They have become showbiz prostitutes who'll give up anything for bigger bucks.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

You can see awfully a lot of emotion through text, have you never role played in your life?

if you do stuff like /me cries, or using emoji yes  (kinda why they were created to express emotion over text)

so tell me what emotion i am meaning to portray in this text.

my favorite color is green.

1 hour ago, WhatComesAround said:

I believe they have become way to profit orientated and have dumped their past down the tube. They have become showbiz prostitutes who'll give up anything for bigger bucks.

people dont understand you kinda have to nowadays to stay relevant, if you post stuff that most people find boring they wont watch it, thats why clickbait exists

3 minutes ago, Jamtoad said:

if you do stuff like /me cries, or using emoji yes  (kinda why they were created to express emotion over text)

so tell me what emotion i am meaning to portray in this text.

my favorite color is green.

people dont understand you kinda have to nowadays to stay relevant, if you post stuff that most people find boring they wont watch it, thats why clickbait exists

You just answered me. No, you haven't ever roleplayed in your life.

Personal Desktop":

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

You just answered me. No, you haven't ever roleplayed in your life.

and you cant answer me becase im right,

and no i dont roleplay becase i dont need to pretend to be something else to be happy. I find people who roleplay are usally old creeps or people into weird shit like furries or bronies. just from my experience. im not hating either btw   

and you cant answer me becase im right,

and no i dont roleplay becase i dont need to pretend to be something else to be happy. I find people who roleplay are usally old creeps or people into weird shit like furries or bronies. just from my experience. im not hating either btw   

Don't get me wrong if you were polite and willing to I would probably show examples and explain how to however I won't stress myself over something you're already having a locked mind on it and just your very ignorant statement over "bronies" already quite frankly ensures that I'm not interested in wasting time in a vain attempt of changing your prejudice over it, have a good evening.

Personal Desktop":