Intel - Credit Card sized PC

Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-unveils-intel-compute-card-credit-card-sized-compute-platform/

Intel introduces their new portable credit card sized PC on CES 2017.

The Intel Compute Card has all the elements of a full computer, including Intel SoC, memory, storage and wireless connectivity with flexible I/O options so hardware manufacturers can optimize for their particular solutions – from interactive refrigerators and smart kiosks to security cameras and IoT gateways. Device makers simply design a standard Intel Compute Card slot into their device and then utilize the best Intel Compute Card for their performance and price needs. This reduces the time and resources needed to design and validate the compute block and helps speed up innovation to bring the power of intelligence into an ever wider range of devices.

Intel is working with a wide range of partners who share our vision that the Intel Compute Card could significantly change the way they and the rest of the industry design and productize a wide range of solutions in the near future. These partners are working to develop products that can take advantage of the simplified design, ease of serviceability and user upgradeability of the Intel Compute Card. Intel is proud to be working with leading global partners, including Dell*, HP*, Lenovo* and Sharp*, to bring this vision to reality. In addition, Intel is working with a range of regional partners who are all looking to bring unique solutions to their respective markets. These early partners include Seneca Data*, InFocus*, DTx*, TabletKiosk* and Pasuntech*.

The Intel Compute Card will be available in mid-2017 and will come with a range of processors options, including the latest 7th Gen Intel® Core™ processors.

compute-card-2x1-300x150.jpg

This looks sweet. Hopefully this will be able It does run full Windows like the Intel Stick except if this has USB Type-C (which I think it will) then it will make even better and nice pocket PC you can take everywhere with you. (Maybe it will even fit in the wallet? Altough it looks like it is quite a bit more thicker than credit card).

EDIT:
There is video of it on BBC website which I cant link in this topic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38515472

EDIT 2:

Looking at the video some basic specs can be seen there.

Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-7Y30 CPU 1.00GHz  - 1.61GHz

4GB RAM

Looks like this will require docking station which allows for the better I/O and the PC itself has no I/O besides the docking ports.

(Too bad if it really must be docked... I was hoping for more portable solution I can take everywhere with me). Lets hope for a portable version with USB Type-C which in my opinion would make a lot more sense and options for usability.

EDIT 3:

Posted by user @Space Reptile

https://newsroom.intel.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/01/intel-compute-card-fact-sheet.pdf

What about I/O? Will it need a dock? (maybe I missed something?)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

What about I/O? Will it need a dock? (maybe I missed something?)

First sentence in the quote.

I suspect that USB Type-C will be what makes this possible as I cant see anything else that could fit in that form factor... definitely no RJ45 :D

Also go check that video I edited on the bottom of the original post on the BBC website.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

First sentence in the quote.

I suspect that USB Type-C will be what makes this possible as I cant see anything else that could fit in that form factor... definitely no RJ45 :D

But how do you power it, output video, audio, input data, and all that through that port alone? (don't really know much about Type C, noobness to the max)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

But how do you power it, output video, audio, input data, and all that through that port alone? (don't really know much about Type C, Inoobness to the max)

USB Type-C allows you to send/receive video, power and data trough single port at the same time. Also it is compatible with Display Port and Thunderbolt.

I wonder if they will be as crappy as the compute stick

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I wonder if they will be as crappy as the compute stick

I edited the topic as I found more information. This looks to be aimed at totaly different market than the Intel Stick as this will require docking station.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I edited the topic as I found more information. This looks to be aimed at totaly different market than the Intel Stick as this will require docking station.

I read through the intel release. Looks to be iot related. Problem I see is USB c. Any iot that uses this will require a USB chipset. I don't know if iot providers will want a hub for networking and display purposes. Compute sticks have shown they are good at acting as electronic posters and billboards for stuff delivered through web pages. Iv used one as a desktop and it was a crap experience. I know McDonald's uses compute sticks to drive their menus at my old local shopping mall coz when they crashed they were displaying ubuntu command line with network error messages

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

That's not credit card size.

it will be overpriced and will thermal throttle, most likely

also .. dongles ... fucking dongles

Raspberry Pi (3) exists already

9 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

That's not credit card size.

Size looks like yes, thickness no.

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it will be overpriced and will thermal throttle, most likely

also .. dongles ... fucking dongles

Raspberry Pi (3) exists already

Depends on what CPU they will use but from the specs in the video it is this CPU

https://ark.intel.com/products/95449/Intel-Core-m3-7Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-2_60-GHz-

with reduced boost to 1.61GHz from 2.6GHz so instead of 4.5W TDP it will maybe have something like 3W ??

And of course.. I dont expect price to be low :D Lets at least hope it will have enough storage and not just 32GB/64GB.

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Depends on what CPU they will use but from the specs in the video it is this CPU

https://ark.intel.com/products/95449/Intel-Core-m3-7Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-2_60-GHz-

with reduced boost to 1.61GHz from 2.6GHz so instead of 4.5W TDP it will maybe have something like 3W ??

And of course.. I dont expect price to be low :D Lets at least hope it will have enough storage and not just 32GB/64GB.

the Pi2 draws 4.1W peak - the whole unit under load

can't find concrete data on Pi3

according to this, it's 3.7W on 100% load: https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/power-consumption

Well that makes mITX look huge.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Unbenannt.PNG

neat

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Oh you mean a raspbe                     ...

What's funny is I think Intel is banking on many, slower, networked systems to take over computing jobs versus fewer, monolithic systems.

Which is what bit Cray in the rear in the mid 90s. Nobody wanted to buy a Cray-3 when it was more cost efficient to buy several, slower and cheaper system boards and hook them together.

5 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Unbenannt.PNG

neat

Can you post source please? ;)

This isn't a consumer market product. This is a product aimed squarely at those who manufacture products for consumers.

With this you can easily make pretty much anything "smart" without having to bother with large chunks of the hardware internals yourself.

Sure, there will be some consumer sales (for purposes besides just upgrading your smart fridge and the like) but those are no where near the primary market.

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

this is pretty fuckin neat

imagine: loads of desks with just docking stations, monitors, mouse and kbs. 

show up to work, and just sit down, grab your lanyard and compute card and dock and go.

eliminates the PCs being stolen or data being compromised after hours as well. 

idk