Enthusiast vs standard i7s

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
2 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

But why 1151? STRM stated that 2011v3 had better power phase designs; how would a platform with worse power phase design beat the better one in OC? Can someone explain? Thanks!

It's hard as shit to get a 10-core CPU to 5 GHz while it's not at all unheard of to get a 6700k to 5 GHz. You need a larger quantity and higher quality power phases for an X99 chip to hit crazy clocks. You can actually find Z170 boards with killer power phase designs like the Z170M OC from Asrock however.

Hello, everybody! So, what's the exact difference between an i7 on, for example, z1151 vs 2011-v3? I don't seem to get it; is it just the extra pcie lanes? Also, if I were to create a high-end build with hard overclocking, which platform would be better, and why? Thank you! 

an i7 on LGA 1151 maxes out at 4 cores 8 threads. i7s on LGA 2011-v3 max out at 10 cores 20 threads. You also get way more I/O on 2011-v3.

I used to be quite active here.

Hello, everybody! So, what's the exact difference between an i7 on, for example, z1151 vs 2011-v3? I don't seem to get it; is it just the extra pcie lanes? Also, if I were to create a high-end build with hard overclocking, which platform would be better, and why? Thank you! 

"Z1151" - Think you mean Z170 or LGA 1151 xD

You get more PCI lanes, better power phase designs (basically required to run those heftier chips), generally more features, more cores, generally poorer single-threaded performance compared to a top-of-the-line consumer grade unlocked i7, and bragging rights.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, adithyay328 said:

Depends what you are doing it for. While non enthusiast chips might have less cores/threads and less cache, they are cheaper and unusually have better single-core performance over their high core count brothers. If you are using your CPU for multi reader applications and video edition for example a i7 6800k/ i7 6950X or something extreme like that would be better, for gaming go for i7 6700k. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

an i7 on LGA 1151 maxes out at 4 cores 8 threads. i7s on LGA 2011-v3 max out at 10 cores 20 threads. You also get way more I/O on 2011-v3.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you get more pcie, more ram, and more core. If you don't know why you need 2011-3, get 1551.

Ok, so I was partially correct. However, like I asked, if my build was water cooled(which is the plan) and I want to OC it hard, which platform would be the best bet for me?

Ok, so I was partially correct. However, like I asked, if my build was water cooled(which is the plan) and I want to OC it hard, which platform would be the best bet for me?

id go 1151.

1 minute ago, Cyndre1033 said:

Depends what you are doing it for. While non enthusiast chips might have less cores/threads and less cache, they are cheaper and unusually have better single-core performance over their high core count brothers. If you are using your CPU for multi reader applications and video edition for example a i7 6800k/ i7 6950X or something extreme like that would be better, for gaming go for i7 6700k. 

LOL worse single thread on lower end, my god what did dey do....

Just now, adithyay328 said:

Nothing. You sacrifice clock speed in order to get more cores and maintain stability.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

You got it backwards, worse single core on high end

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You get more PCI lanes, better power phase designs (basically required to run those heftier chips), generally more features, more cores, generally poorer single-threaded performance compared to a top-of-the-line consumer grade unlocked i7, and bragging rights.

LOL z1151, you right man, I got confused there. And again, OC support in terms of mobos on each platform? Which is better for OC?

Kaby Lake is best for overclocking, and those are only on LGA 1151 (Z170/Z270 chipsets) for now.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Nothing. You sacrifice clock speed in order to get more cores and maintain stability.

Gotcha

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Kaby Lake is best for overclocking, and those are only on LGA 1151 (Z170/Z270 chipsets) for now.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id go 1151.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

But why 1151? STRM stated that 2011v3 had better power phase designs; how would a platform with worse power phase design beat the better one in OC? Can someone explain? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

You got it backwards, worse single core on high end

Yeah sry, kinda sleepy right now, can't think as well I normally do. Still, that seems interesting to me.

because you need less power, so you don't need as much power on the board.

Becasue you can upgrade to KAby lake in fact I would wait either for zen or wait a week for KAby LAke and z270

My life

I think he is talking about the enthusiast chip

I currently play PUBG, help me get chicken dinner xD

5 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

However, like I asked, if my build was water cooled(which is the plan)

Buy the absolute best CPU that you can afford. Make a build with a 5820K or 6800K on X99 and then a 6700K on Z170 build and compare the two. From what I hear doing upgrades on a custom water-cooling build sucks unless you're using flex tubing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It's hard as shit to get a 10-core CPU to 5 GHz while it's not at all unheard of to get a 6700k to 5 GHz. You need a larger quantity and higher quality power phases for an X99 chip to hit crazy clocks. You can actually find Z170 boards with killer power phase designs like the Z170M OC from Asrock however.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

depends on what sort of performance you're aiming to get from that OC...

sometimes it's just for a high number on a leader board no one really cares about.

Other times it's to get a faster stable multi-core clock to render video in less time while staying in a budget...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

because bigger chip essentially means lower clocks, this is why the extreme OC folks disable cores to gain more clock speed.

also, you could probably gladly OC 2011v3 beyond what 1151 offers, its just that intel has standards in terms of out the box power consumption (looking at the FX9590 users here) and the people going for 6 or 8 (or even 10) core processors usually have a workload that wont notice those few hundred MHz difference over the extra cores.

Gaming = Z170/270

Production and other professional work = X99

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

depends on what sort of performance you're aiming to get from that OC...

sometimes it's just for a high number on a leader board no one really cares about.

Other times it's to get a faster stable multi-core clock to render video in less time while staying in a budget...

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

because bigger chip essentially means lower clocks, this is why the extreme OC folks disable cores to gain more clock speed.

also, you could probably gladly OC 2011v3 beyond what 1151 offers, its just that intel has standards in terms of out the box power consumption (looking at the FX9590 users here) and the people going for 6 or 8 (or even 10) core processors usually have a workload that wont notice those few hundred MHz difference over the extra cores.

3 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Gaming = Z170/270

Production and other professional work = X99

Thank you all! You guys explained it in a great way that's understandable to me. STRM explained the entire 10 core 5ghz vs quad core 5hz thing to me. And yes, I am planning to do pretty frequent editing and rendering on this PC. I think I'm going with x99 so that I can render faster with more cores, thank you all!