The NDA is up and the reviews are in! The Intel i7 7700k and i5 7600k are officially here!- Reviewer Roundup

FourCorners
1 hour ago, FourCorners said:

I doubt there is much iGPU improvements. The iGPU still won't beat AMD's APUs and certainly won't replace a dedicated GPU any time soon

the Intel® HD Graphics 630 in Kaby lake can hardware decode 10bit video - H.265/HEVC Main10, also VP9

and so far, it's the only thing allowed to decode NETFLIX UHD video streams due to HDCP 2.2

So here's what I've gathered so far:

1. Clock for clock, same performance as skylake, as I predicted.

2. TIM is bad. At the same voltage and clock, skylake runs 5-6 degrees cooler. Really, Intel?

3. Voltage wall is further away. We are seeing 5GHz OCs under 1.35v. 

4. vCore now depends on the motherboard, and adds a whole other layer to finding the right motherboard; ugh, as if it wasn't hard enough.

It seems that, after a delid (once again, why do we need to do this Intel), the 7700k will be a pretty good overclocker. Still it costs more, and there isn't really any reason to upgrade to it. I will be recommending Kaby lake to new builders however. 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

So barely any improvement, again... At least now I know if I need to buy a new PC in the near future(if my current one dies), I will just get the "older" 6700k instead of the 7700k, since it will most likely be cheaper by then.

Really hoping AMD shakes things up with Zen. It's ridiculous how there's barely been any "big" improvement since 2011.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, FourCorners said:

*As of creating this thread, LTT has yet to post their videoright at the 12pm EST NDA lift

Intel probably didn't send them one after they told people they don't need a 6950X for Crysis xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

So here's what I've gathered so far:

1. Clock for clock, same performance as skylake, as I predicted.

2. TIM is bad. At the same voltage and clock, skylake runs 5-6 degrees cooler. Really, Intel?

3. Voltage wall is further away. We are seeing 5GHz OCs under 1.35v. 

4. vCore now depends on the motherboard, and adds a whole other layer to finding the right motherboard; ugh, as if it wasn't hard enough.

It seems that, after a delid (once again, why do we need to do this Intel), the 7700k will be a pretty good overclocker. Still it costs more, and there isn't really any reason to upgrade to it. I will be recommending Kaby lake to new builders however. 

Vcore has been dependent on motherboard with Skylake as well lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At the same time Qualcomm managed to improve performance (~30%) and power consumption (~40%) in the latest Snapdragon. :/

phone cpu = / = desktop cpu

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

7 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At the same time Qualcomm managed to improve performance (~30%) and power consumption (~40%) in the latest Snapdragon. :/

Irrelevant comment.

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

And what are most people using nowadays? Phones + tablets + laptops or desktops? 

Laptops tend to use cutdown desktop processors. Fix your analogy.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

My analogy is correct. Nowadays they use cutdown desktop processors because mobile ones were not up to the job, but mobile ones are getting better much faster than desktop ones. 

Umm... No, lol. Not on any x86 OS anyways. The Atom lineup has been retired for a reason, and nobody buys Chromebooks anymore. Your snapdragon v Intel analogy isn't working, and for good reason. You can't compare apples to oranges.

So, if you want Linus' review, you gotta pay 5$?

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

Umm... No, lol. Not on any x86 OS anyways. The Atom lineup has been retired for a reason, and nobody buys Chromebooks anymore. Your snapdragon v Intel analogy isn't working, and for good reason. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Atom got rebranded as Core X, and the new name largely hasn't stuck. For the most part, Atom is still used for tablets, compute stick style dongles, netbooks, and even low end server boards.

5 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Qualcomm's best processor doesn't even come close to touching a 4th gen mobile i3 in terms of real world performance, let alone something along the lines of the 4770K, 6700, 6700K, 5775c, 7700K, 6600K, or even my meager 4460 build.

Qualcomm is playing catch up, and they'll never surpass Intel or AMD processors of the same time period.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

You shouldn't have been disappointed. Haswell vs. Skylake was like this, except with a larger gap between the two (and other things like power consumption and thermals and 28nm vs. 14nm)

Haswell was 22nm. Not 28nm.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, Magnetorheological said:

Let's hope AMD can get it together and push Intel to do more in the near future (or even surpass Intel, though I really don't see that happening, to be honest).

hmm i think intel hitting a wall in ipc has nothing to do with AMD. Intel spends loads on R&D already. AMD putting out a solid product does not mean that intel will suddenly work magic...

Once Zen launches the days of Intel having a massive IPC advantage will be over for good. They may still have a better overall product but i think we will never again see a huge IPC advantage for either IHV. Both will probably hit a natural wall and continue with incremental IPC improvements. Sandy bridge and Zen may remain the last big IPC revolutions...

Of course there are other things that will progress faster such as adoption of newer instructions, higher clockspeeds, more cores, better IGPUs, better efficiency etc.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

hmm i think intel hitting a wall in ipc has nothing to do with AMD. Intel spends loads on R&D already. AMD putting out a solid product does not mean that intel will suddenly work magic...

Once Zen launches the days of Intel having a massive IPC advantage will be over for good. They may still have a better overall product but i think we will never again see a huge IPC advantage for either IHV. Both will probably hit a natural wall and continue with incremental IPC improvements. Sandy bridge and Zen may remain the last big IPC revolutions...

Of course there are other things that will progress faster such as adoption of newer instructions, higher clockspeeds, more cores, better IGPUs, better efficiency etc.

It doesn't guarantee anything, but at least by AMD being competitive again, it may push Intel's R&D a bit harder to make more significant improvements generation over generation than what is being offered currently. Such is the nature of competition, and having it is much better than not when it comes to technology and innovations.

Competition is good actually.

One side winning over the other (and potentially "killing" the other competitor) means abuse from the winning competitor. Higher prices than usual *cough*Intel* cough*NVIDIA*

FYI @nicklmg said that there was miscommunication of the embargo date. The video should come out from LTT tomorrow.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

When a company has a monopoly over the market, with no competition and also has publicly stated that its primary target is into mobile chips... Was this really so ground breaking??? 

1 hour ago, AndrewBit said:

When a company has a monopoly over the market, with no competition and also has publicly stated that its primary target is into mobile chips... Was this really so ground breaking??? 

Exactly. I don't see why anybody is excited anymore about any desktop Intel CPUs anymore except for Xeons and i7 Extreme editions.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

23 hours ago, FourCorners said:

Didn't the Broadwell chips like the 5775c use Iris Pro graphics, the thing that Intel seems to have completely forgot about? 

They didn't forget Iris Pro, it's Apple exclusive apart from the 2nd and 3rd highest bins

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I see the benches and i feel like this is the biggest ripoff intel has ever pulled and no ones calling them out for it apart from the consumer themselves.

13 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

I see the benches and i feel like this is the biggest ripoff intel has ever pulled and no ones calling them out for it apart from the consumer themselves.

It's not a ripoff if you didn't pay for it. It also comes with new (not exactly game-changing) features. I am starting to question the sense of entitlement that most consumers seem to have when they look at hardware. "WHAT? NO ADDITIONAL CORES?!?!" "NO IPC GAINS?!?!" "NO SOLDER ON THE BARE DIE?!?!?". Come on people, be reasonable. If you honestly expected IPC gains, you were simply not paying attention. 

What you get is a slightly more efficient chip, potentially higher overclocks (yet to be 100% confirmed), and better battery life from the improved Turbo Boost. This is all on top of the other platform features we knew about months ago. If that doesn't entice you to buy their product, then don't buy it. Just don't complain about it as if something was owed to you, and not delivered. You owe a brand nothing as a consumer, and the same can be said otherwise. 

On January 3, 2017 at 0:01 PM, Princess Cadence said:

I am actually glad Skylake is surviving the 7th gen just fine, I don't have endless money for these  nearly yearly releases xD

By the way why hasn't LTT made a video about this yet? Intel didn't bother to send'em reference CPUs?

Yeah I like that I won't feel some super strong urge to run out and buy a new i7.  

Though I might get a 7th gen i5 for a itx build I've been wanting to do. 

15 hours ago, MageTank said:

It's not a ripoff if you didn't pay for it. It also comes with new (not exactly game-changing) features. I am starting to question the sense of entitlement that most consumers seem to have when they look at hardware. "WHAT? NO ADDITIONAL CORES?!?!" "NO IPC GAINS?!?!" "NO SOLDER ON THE BARE DIE?!?!?". Come on people, be reasonable. If you honestly expected IPC gains, you were simply not paying attention. 

What you get is a slightly more efficient chip, potentially higher overclocks (yet to be 100% confirmed), and better battery life from the improved Turbo Boost. This is all on top of the other platform features we knew about months ago. If that doesn't entice you to buy their product, then don't buy it. Just don't complain about it as if something was owed to you, and not delivered. You owe a brand nothing as a consumer, and the same can be said otherwise. 

How dare you bring logic into this.

We want moar corez! We want all the Jiggahertz!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.