AMD have released a tool which converts Nvidia's CUDA code to portable C++ code which works on both Nvidia and AMD cards!

goodtofufriday
15 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

True. I mean they are putting Radeon tech in new Intel CPUs apparently.

That's a rumor with no source. It's just an OC3D (OCN?) editor claiming it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Yeah. Apparently.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

56 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Barcelona and Mullins say hi.

I feel like I should know what you're talking about, but I'm afraid I don't. What do you mean?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

7 hours ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

I know but what I'm saying is that the US might have similar competition laws?

They do, but enforcement isn't consistent, and more times than not, they still act as one company.

And although I'll probably get flak for this, I don't think government has any right to split up a company only because it became a monopoly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

35 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They do, but enforcement isn't consistent, and more times than not, they still act as one company.

And although I'll probably get flak for this, I don't think government has any right to split up a company only because it became a monopoly.

I think that they should probably actively encourage new competition to appear but splitting a company is sketchy.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Just now, Joe_MacDougall said:

I think that they should probably actively encourage new competition to appear but splitting a company is sketchy.

I agree. Splitting the company doesn't really work either. They just assume two monopolies that don't interfere with each other and often act as one company anyways.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Which for the record, it could be nothing more than free sync implementation. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I feel like I should know what you're talking about, but I'm afraid I don't. What do you mean?

AMD caught flat-out lying and suffering legal consequences.

58 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Which for the record, it could be nothing more than free sync implementation. 

I doubt it. AMD's FreeSync is just a front-end name for Adaptive Sync on AMD graphics technologies. Intel can implement that on its own.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nvidia is good and all that but they can shove it up their "places". Proprietary shit is screwing up games for quite some time now.

I don't understand really what this means but it sounds beneficial? :ph34r:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

For a few reasons:

1. Whether we want to believe it or not, CUDA seems to be a more efficient GPGPU Compute language, which leads into:

2. CUDA is pretty much the "go-to" Compute language, and finally

3. CUDA is exclusive to NVIDIA - and they have not given AMD licenses required to compute CUDA code on AMD hardware

So AMD has found a good work around: A code translator that takes raw CUDA source code, and converts that code into raw C++ source code, which can then be compiled into an OpenCL application/service/whatever.

Part of the reason why CUDA is more efficient than OpenCL is due to it's popularity. More people use it and so it naturally evolves to a better product over time because of it. If we were to compare the very first iteration of CUDA to what OpenCL is now I can't say which would better but it would be closer than current CUDA.

What OpenCL needs to get better is people to use it, fine tune it, submit feature improvements etc.

A code translator is a very good move to get people to step in to the realm of OpenCL, if you then only have to optimize what has been converted that can be much less work than doing all of it from scratch. But if there isn't good support from AMD, the hardware people need, partnerships in place with server manufacturers then the whole effort is moot as people wouldn't move to OpenCL as why would you if you are going to stay on Nvidia hardware.

If Nvida controls CUDA they can counter this they so chose to, plus I highly doubt it will have a 1 to 1 efficiency so why would you want to get a Radeon card if you planned to use CUDA, it isn't going to be the choice made by companies who use the technology hence who is this trying to sell products to?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 hours ago, Prysin said:

no. Because AMD isnt the one running or modifying the code. The tool is used by people who already owns the license. All AMD allowed them to do, is to "quickly" rewrite the code they already wrote themselves.

unlike Nvidia who tried to make that X86 translator in hardware. And that is something else

Okay this is an explanation I understand, thanks.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

If Nvida controls CUDA they can counter this they so chose to, plus I highly doubt it will have a 1 to 1 efficiency so why would you want to get a Radeon card if you planned to use CUDA, it isn't going to be the choice made by companies who use the technology hence who is this trying to sell products to?

If I could compile every Java program in the world to C++, I would, because C++ is faster, more lightweight, and more stable.

Language matters both in programmer productivity and program performance. It's exactly what AMD is acknowledging with this. CUDA is easy to program in compared to OpenCL, even OpenCL 2.1.

16 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Isn't that illegal without AMD having a license?

there was talk about them having acquired the cuda license

amd is a clever girl , time for stuff to get ported over

AMD FLEX DEMO WHEN

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

18 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

-snip-

AMD isn't using CUDA, they've just released a porting tool. Nothing illegal there.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

If I could compile every Java program in the world to C++, I would, because C++ is faster, more lightweight, and more stable.

Language matters both in programmer productivity and program performance. It's exactly what AMD is acknowledging with this. CUDA is easy to program in compared to OpenCL, even OpenCL 2.1.

I'm aware C++ is great however I'm not seeing how this will translate into additional money for amd atm, maybe their are enough people who like the concept of converting to C++ but from my understanding CUDA development is more so used in a corporate/engineering setting.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

I'm aware C++ is great however I'm not seeing how this will translate into additional money for amd atm, maybe their are enough people who like the concept of converting to C++ but from my understanding CUDA development is more so used in a corporate/engineering setting.

It means the custom code made on CUDA can now easily be used on any hardware, which means that a company can buy AMD hardware now when they get money for more hardware or upgrade versus needing to account re-writing code into the cost of switching. this all relies on that the AMD counterpart card has a better price/performance. It basically give companies the option to buy AMD if they have a lot of code made for CUDA.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

23 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

i wouldnt see why it would be.

14 hours ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

It depends on the nature of the market. You'll find company splitting or, much more often, rejections of merger proposals (i.e., two companies becoming one) in markets that are (close to) "natural monopolies". That is, markets were the fixed investment cost is so large that the market cannot have more than one (or n) profitable companies. Usual examples are land telephone, electricity, etc, where the cost of building the infrastructure to supply all costumers is so high than no other company could build its own network and expect to stay alive (unless it becomes a monopoly itself). The trend in recent years, especially in landlines, has been to force the original monopolist to rent the infrastructure to any company willing to at a fixed, regulated price (so it can't keep competition away by saying "OK, you can use it, but every minute costs... one million dollars!"). That way, multiple operators can exist, although there still is a single infrastructure provider.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

(so it can't keep competition away by saying "OK, you can use it, but every minute costs... one million dollars!")

The UK has finally started to crackdown on OpenReach for this who rent the infrastructure out to ISP's but charge extreme amounts for other companies to use the ducting to provide their own lines. Whilst this is still an issue at least now Openreach are being forced further away from their Parent ISP BT

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

and on the CUDA point, good for AMD ! But like Apple, Nvidia always find a way to make something else that seems essential to the future of humanity further down the line and make that proprietary :(

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:35 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

how so? It translates c++ into cuda nothing illegal about it. If licence to use cuda is needed than that would fall to the user.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´