Why an IHS? Why not soldered

This is a simple question..... Why do they have an ihs? considering most coolers function better when delidded....is it due to the expectation people will apply the cooler wrong and distroy the cpu? Another question.... why do they not solder every IHS as it has a massive temperature decrease verses no soldered. Why not give an option without an ihs? Like look at water cooled video cards...no ihs and if you can dissapate the heat you can keep ur card stable at like 35c in a really powerful card 

Sec

I'll find my post explaining it all and post it here

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

This is a simple question..... Why do they have an ihs? considering most coolers function better when delidded....is it due to the expectation people will apply the cooler wrong and distroy the cpu? Another question.... why do they not solder every IHS as it has a massive temperature decrease verses no soldered. Why not give an option without an ihs? Like look at water cooled video cards...no ihs and if you can dissapate the heat you can keep ur card stable at like 35c in a really powerful card 

The notion that coolers work better when delidded isn't accurate, and der8auer wrote a very informative article on why IHSs are not soldered.

http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

17 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

For the question of soldering over thermal paste. Money, it costs more to solder it.

For most chips thermal paste is fine.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

@Shadow_Storm56

Start here and keep reading, there's boatloads of posts explaining it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, SLAYR said:

Money, it costs more to solder it.

That's not it, according to the source. I invite you to read it

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Money, it costs more to solder it.

Has nothing to do with money, soldering small chips can destroy them, and even if they survive the process, it can destroy them later down the road due to heating and cooling.

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The notion that coolers work better when delidded isn't accurate, and der8auer wrote a very informative article on why IHSs are not soldered.

Really? because graphics cards have no IHS and they stay way cooler water cooled..... then again i guess they are designed different. I guess that makes sense that soldering can hurt....but geez somthing as powerful as the 6700k gets soooo hot even on water but if you have what i have now the 6850k i can clock it as hard as i can safely go and get very much lower temps....just because it is soldered. I shall read some of the articals later 

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ok i see why soldering can be bad, especially on smaller cores.... but why not have no ihs? just thermal paste right to the core... same as a gpu. I assume there is a reason 

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Really? because graphics cards have no IHS and they stay way cooler water cooled..... then again i guess they are designed different. I guess that makes sense that soldering can hurt....but geez somthing as powerful as the 6700k gets soooo hot even on water but if you have what i have now the 6850k i can clock it as hard as i can safely go and get very much lower temps....just because it is soldered. I shall read some of the articals later 

Some GPUs do have an IHS, some don't, I suspect it's a matter of whether the IHS is needed to spread the thermal load (as chips become more dense, cooling it with direct contact becomes harder and an IHS can help with that).

Don't take my word as gospel, I am quoting the article

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Ok i see why soldering can be bad, especially on smaller cores.... but why not have no ihs? just thermal paste right to the core... same as a gpu. I assume there is a reason 

I thunk it might be a protection measure, GPUs ship with the cooler already installed, but naked CPUs might get damaged very easily.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

This is a simple question..... Why do they have an ihs?

Integrated heat spreaders are on every CPU on the market aside from some SoCs.

considering most coolers function better when delidded

That's due to using better thermal interface material (TIM) versus what they're using.

....is it due to the expectation people will apply the cooler wrong and distroy the cpu?

No.

Another question.... why do they not solder every IHS as it has a massive temperature decrease verses no soldered. Why not give an option without an ihs?

The IHS is the intermediary between the core and the heatsink to spread force and allow more efficient cooling of the CPU's cores.

Like look at water cooled video cards...no ihs and if you can dissapate the heat you can keep ur card stable at like 35c in a really powerful card 

They still have an IHS. This is due to air being a less efficient medium for cooling versus water.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

CPUs have a smaller surface area compared to the GPU

the IHS is there to increase the surface area and to protect the die

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Integrated heat spreaders are on every CPU on the market aside from some SoCs.

That's due to using better thermal interface material (TIM) versus what they're using.

No.

The IHS is the intermediary between the core and the heatsink to spread force and allow more efficient cooling of the CPU's cores.

They still have an IHS. This is due to air being a less efficient medium for cooling versus water.

No but like a water cooled cpu can still hit in the 70's when overclocked...but a max overclocked gpu will rarely hit 40c so why? 

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

No but like a water cooled cpu can still hit in the 70's when overclocked...but a max overclocked gpu will rarely hit 40c so why? 

Depends on the workload and the build. My CPU and GPU are usually both around the 68C mark. The CPU is also smaller which contributes to the loss or transfer of heat.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

10 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Most gpu makers don't plan on people taking apart their cards it voids the warranties for most gpus, but for cpus people can change out the coolers, there was a time were cpu came without an IHS and if you tightened the cooler down too much it chipped the corners, and broke the chip, the only reason for the IHS on the cpu is to protect the die.

As for soldering the IHS vs thermal paste, it cost a lot less for the company to buy thermal paste then to buy indium, nickel, gold, and a few other metals, apply them and do all this.

3222900A-99D2-4A3A-B7AC-4E9584A45130-212-0000000A7E33B3B0_tmp.png

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Does anyone know that the original reason for the IHS was to protect the die.

-アパゾ

1 minute ago, APasz said:

Is this a question or statement?

The type suggests question, but the punctuation suggests statement.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, APasz said:

Literally mentioned it right before your post.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Is this a question or statement?

The type suggests question, but the punctuation suggests statement.

Both a question and statement.

-アパゾ

The only chipset with a IHS is the X38 and X48. Does it use TIM or Soldered is another question.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list