The state of nVidia 3D Vision in 2024..

SimplyChunk

Hey peeps.  So I got an Asus ROG PG278QR a couple of years ago as a resolution upgrade from my BenQ XL2720T that I'd had from new from release.  I later learned (having long forgotten about it) that the Asus monitor was 3D Vision ready.  So..I vowed to at least dig out my 3D Vision kit from storage and have a muck around with it. 

PXL_20240526_095010844.thumb.jpg.c3e1b62b00c3ca6214ad41babb68285f.jpg

At least get it working to a fashion in the modern PC environment.  I did this with some moderate success the other night.  I had it working in GTA V (a 3D Vision compatible game) The battery is dead in the glasses unfortunately.   It also needed some trickery to get it to work in Windows 11.  You need VERY (like 2021) old nVidia drivers, you need the Transmitter drivers (also old a defunct), you need a free to use tool called '3D Fix Manager'  You also really need Windows 10 (though it was glitchy but working on Windows 11 sometimes it would work without issues other it wouldn't work at all)  It also doesn't work on 30 series or newer GPUs.  God Bless my 2070 Super again 

I got a lot of help here:

So that's where I got to.  Working, of sorts, in a single game, using ancient drivers and a dodgy bit of homebrew software keeping it all together 😄.  So currently I'm creating a Windows 10 ISO on a stick drive and I've cleared out my old 500GB Sata SSD to create a Dual boot between My main Windows 11 install and a Windows 10 one that I'll use just for sodding about with 3D Vision for the foreseeable future or until i get bored and put it all in storage again 😄.

I'll post updates as and when they happen 🙂  

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

its crazy 3d never took off... way better than any current ar/vr stuff...

sadly i cant help,  keep us updated though and good luck! ❤

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Currently posting from a fresh windows 10 install.  3D Fix Manager is installed and has installed the relevant drivers too.

image.thumb.png.0d9457038740098b3ff619686a1e9165.png

I also have the relevant page in the nVidia cOntrol pAnel 😄 

image.png.4b102ac47637e2c375fe8b6cc25767b4.png 

Look at this ancient control panel logo 😄

image.png.296514ee6a498b4a97fb4a0d10940ed2.png

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

23 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

its crazy 3d never took off... way better than any current ar/vr stuff...

sadly i cant help,  keep us updated though and good luck! ❤

Unfortunately, I never got to experience 3D except in a few movie theaters many years ago. Wasn't there a laptop recently that implemented a new 3D panel that doesn't even require glasses? (kind of similar technology to the Nintendo 3DS display) From what I've heard, Alex from LTT seemed to like it. Maybe 3D will make a comeback if this takes off. Who knows, once display manufacturers reach the full potential of HDR, this could be the next big thing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Unfortunately, I never got to experience 3D except in a few movie theaters many years ago. Wasn't there a laptop recently that implemented a new 3D panel that doesn't even require glasses? (kind of similar technology to the Nintendo 3DS display) From what I've heard, Alex from LTT seemed to like it. Maybe 3D will make a comeback if this takes off. Who knows, once display manufacturers reach the full potential of HDR, this could be the next big thing.

yeap, i remember that too (3d screen without need for glasses) but unfortunately i feel that train has left the station,  no one wants easy to use 3d anymore, and its supported by nobody. 

i did try it back then whenever i had the chance,  films, games, tv... and always was blown away how good it worked (especially in games i gotta say)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeap, i remember that too (3d screen without need for glasses) but unfortunately i feel that train has left the station,  no one wants easy to use 3d anymore, and its supported by nobody. 

i did try it back then whenever i had the chance,  films, games, tv... and always was blown away how good it worked (especially in games i gotta say)

Totally with you on the games front.  I remember my first experience with 3D vision.  I bought the Gen 1 glasses retail and a 19 inch 120Hz CRT from eBay for a pound at the time.  The first game I tried was San Andreas and it just adds a 'realism' thats not present on flat screens