Optimum to deploy fiber capable of 10 Gbps internet to all customers

PillowSmoke

The United States’ fourth largest cable provider is making a big expansion into fiber. Altice USA — the owner of Optimum, Suddenlink, and Lightpath — intends to build out fiber connections to “all” Optimum customers and “most” Suddenlink customers within five years, beginning in 2017.

The fiber connections are supposed to be capable of delivering internet at up to 10 Gbps. It’s not clear, or necessarily even likely, that Altice intends to offer those super-fast speeds right off the bat, but the intention seems to be offering somewhat faster speeds soon and much faster speeds down the road.

Altice USA CEO Dexter Goei tells The Wall Street Journal that this is being viewed as a long-term investment. “We know that there will be applications and demand for further bandwidth going forward, whether that is in two, three, four, or five years,” he said.

Although there's alot to be accomplished, it still great that companies like these are stepping up and pushing the game. The pricing is going to be wary though, probably with a service like this we're looking at maybe several hundred to a few thousand dollars a month, laying infrastructure is gonna be a difficult task.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13799148/altice-usa-optimum-suddenlink-10gbps-fiber-rollout

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

10Gbit? I haven't touched 1 Gigabit, except in the lab computers at my campus. I have 1Gigabit in my neighbourhood to the apartment's link or w/e you call it that's connected by the wall outside. Just need to tear the cables inside and replace them. Too bad Bell is just plain slow in getting work done here.

Got 10gig here in chattanooga, too bad it adds 270 to the bill though. I'm fine with 1 gig for now. What sucks is the cable companies are fighting to keep the fiber optic providers from expanding coverage. Because they don't want anyone competing with the ogopoly the cable companies have worked to setup.

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

And a 1TB data cap

Actually, Optimum doesn't have a data cap.

BTW: I'm so looking forward to this since Optimum is one of the ISPs that serves the town I live in.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

And a 1TB data cap

When i was with them for two years (till I pirated too much and got it cut off) I did not have a cap at all. Maybe it's because in L.I NY we only have two major providers, Optimum and Verizon. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

45 minutes ago, MysteryMii215 said:

Actually, Optimum doesn't have a data cap.

BTW: I'm so looking forward to this since Optimum is one of the ISPs that serves the town I live in.

Whats the other ISP? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Dat feel when you have Optimum. Hopefully this hits my area (1-1.5hr north of NYC) within a couple years and is reasonably priced. Maybe tiers like 500Mbps and 1Gbps will be priced fairly well with 10Gbps in the picture.

I was getting 300mb on my iPhone in the Seattle public library, and that is the fastest I have used.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Wow, just wow.

You lot should count yourselves lucky! I've just moved my family to Malysia and the best I can get speed wise is 30Mb! Even when I was in the UK I could only get 38Mb and that was on BT's 'So called' fiber network (Note they class fiber as FTTC, not FTTH).

And I'm here stuck with this:

5841732379.png

And there are people that have it even worse (1MB down), NBN plz. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Hopefully they make good on the promise. 

My isp promised to have 1gig rolled out in all their markets by the end of this year. 

So far its not looking good.  i think their decision to adopt docsis 3.1 in the places that don't yet have  fiber lines is what's delaying things

As much excitement as thie creates,  all i need is a connection capable of streaming 1080p video with low latency 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

US: increasing broadband speeds to the point your HDD cant even handle it and u need m.2 ssd

UK: lets block adult entertainment websites ! Peasants dont need more than 10Mbps....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

5 hours ago, Thony said:

US: increasing broadband speeds to the point your HDD cant even handle it and u need m.2 ssd

UK: lets block adult entertainment websites ! Peasants dont need more than 10Mbps....

They're gonna add data caps next for everyone! you wait.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

11 hours ago, rn8686 said:

And I'm here stuck with this:

5841732379.png

And there are people that have it even worse (1MB down), NBN plz. 

*Sydney*

Well, there's your problem!

-------

Current Rig

-------

16 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

Whats the other ISP? 

Verizon Fios

3 hours ago, MysteryMii215 said:

Verizon Fios

in Long Island? 

47 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

in Long Island? 

Nah, I'm from NJ.

14 minutes ago, MysteryMii215 said:

Nah, I'm from NJ.

It sucks right? only have two choices.