Internet Archive announced a mirror archive in Canada amidst US surveillance concerns

The Internet Archive is a non-profit digital library whose mission it to bring "universal access to all knowledge"

The organization aims to provide free digital content to millions of users through their archive of books, movies and music

They also have archives of political ads which is commonly used in fact-checking claims made by politicians and journalists alike 

They also have an archive of web pages for those interested in going back in time to see articles of the past 

Internet Archive has decided to create a mirror in Canada in order to protect the content that they currently store in case the government decides to snoop on users and their content 

The recent US election has sparked concerns of increased US surveillance mirroring the current situation in the UK as of right now with Mass Surveillance looming the country 

On November 9th in America, we woke up to a new administration promising radical change. It was a firm reminder that institutions like ours, built for the long-term, need to design for change.

For us, it means keeping our cultural materials safe, private and perpetually accessible. It means preparing for a Web that may face greater restrictions.

It means serving patrons in a world in which government surveillance is not going away; indeed it looks like it will increase.

Throughout history, libraries have fought against terrible violations of privacy—where people have been rounded up simply for what they read.  At the Internet Archive, we are fighting to protect our readers’ privacy in the digital world.

The Internet Archive states that Reader Privacy is something they take very seriously and they would like to protect it at all costs 

So this year, we have set a new goal: to create a copy of Internet Archive’s digital collections in another country. We are building the Internet Archive of Canada because, to quote our friends at LOCKSS, “lots of copies keep stuff safe.” This project will cost millions. So this is the one time of the year I will ask you: please make a tax-deductible donation to help make sure the Internet Archive lasts forever.

I personally sift through the Internet Archive for old books and movies, and given its massive collection of political paraphernalia it's no surprise they'd like to keep it secure

Surveillance has become a much bigger issue in the digital age given that almost everything we do touches it at some level which comes with the concern of who can view it

Sources: Internet Archive, ArsTechnica

Wow. That is going to be expensive foe them, huh? If I understand this correctly wouldn't that mean a whole new data center?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Ummm...isn't Canada kind of going in the same direction with its....special.... Prime Minister?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

it needs to be outside of the countries that participate in the five eyes network. whatever laws protect us, our governments are allowing our neighbours to break them

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

29 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ummm...isn't Canada kind of going in the same direction with its....special.... Prime Minister?

Please.  Socially, our PM seems to be what some would say an "SJW".  I would take an SJW over Trump any day.  Shit I would cook Trudeau dinner and babysit his kids for free if he could keep Trumpmania out of this country.:P

I don't need tig bitted video game characters and people can have all the safe space they want.

*I think I am supposed to snap my fingers repeatedly here or something  :(

It may be too late, white supremacists have already been emboldened up here.  Placing 'Hey White People' posters around the city I live in.

33 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Please.  Socially, our PM seems to be what some would say an "SJW".  I would take an SJW over Trump any day.  Shit I would cook Trudeau dinner and babysit his kids for free if he could keep Trumpmania out of this country.:P

I don't need tig bitted video game characters and people can have all the safe space they want.

Hide contents

It may be too late, white supremacists have already been emboldened up here.  Placing 'Hey White People' posters around the city I live in.

Spoiler

I still don't get the logic behind people being "better" than another because of their genes.

We can go 1 better:
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-malcolm-turnbull-declares-himself-a-feminist-and-chokes-up-over-his-family-history-20160606-gpcp73.html

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I still don't get the logic behind people being "better" than another because of their genes.

We can go 1 better:
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-malcolm-turnbull-declares-himself-a-feminist-and-chokes-up-over-his-family-history-20160606-gpcp73.html

Shit, if he has a partially logical policy platform I could vote for that man.  I would actually try to find it, but it is sleepy time for me.  Maybe tomorrow.

I know the country they should do it in: Norway :D

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I now the country they should do it in: Norway :D

*know

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

*know

You didnt see anything :P 
(many times I dont look over what I have written before I post it, especially if its short)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Yes, Canada is a really bad place for it.

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

I know the country they should do it in: Norway :D

Scandinavian countries too.

4 hours ago, stconquest said:

Reveal hidden contents

I would rather take an idiot that never did or said anything racist or sexist, than have an actual sexist and racist that praises tyrants and ideologies that discriminate everyone that they are supposedly defending.

And yeah, fuck those "Hey white people" posters.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

2 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

But other Scandinavian countries already have some big international company with servers in their country :( Norway doesnt, yet at least, from my knowledge. :(

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Yes, Canada is a really bad place for it.

I would rather take an idiot that never did or said anything racist or sexist, than have an actual sexist and racist that praises tyrants and ideologies that discriminate everyone that they are supposedly defending.

And yeah, fuck those "Hey white people" posters.

No Canada is not a bad place for it, not for any reasons you state at least.

Can you back up your claims that Trudeau has said anything sexist or racist?  ...and please elude to the reasoning that determines the Trudeau administration discriminates against... everyone.  I have yet to be impressed by Trudeau, but the things you try to convince us of seem really "weird".

Trump recently registered eight companies in Saudi Arabia for projects there.  So it's okay to to business with tyrants, but not praise Fidel Castro (I think that is what you meant) for the parts Castro got right?  Things like overthrowing a US backed dictator, helping fight apartheid in Africa(Angola) and developing a robust medical industry in Cuba.  I know he ruled with an iron fist, he was a military dictator after all.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/trumps-middle-east-business-deals-raise-ethical-concerns

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

No Canada is not a bad place for it, not for any reasons you state at least.

With the high probability that the bill C-16 is going to become a law, it is highly possible that more laws restring free speech are going to be passed. 

Can you back up your claims that Trudeau has said anything sexist or racist?  ...and please elude to the reasoning that determines the Trudeau administration discriminates against... everyone.  I have yet to be impressed by Trudeau, but the things you try to convince us of seem really "weird".

Sorry, I meant SJWs, not Trudeau.

Trump recently registered eight companies in Saudi Arabia for projects there.  So it's okay to to business with tyrants, but not praise Fidel Castro (I think that is what you meant) for the parts Castro got right?  Things like overthrowing a US backed dictator, helping fight apartheid in Africa(Angola) and developing a robust medical industry in Cuba.  I know he ruled with an iron fist, he was a military dictator after all.

None of those things are ok. Castro was a tyrant who put LGBT people in forced labor camp (although, in 2010, he said that it was a "great injustice"), held political activists in jail, tortured prisoners and restricted freedom speech, expression and press. The health care improved from not treating a wound to putting a dirty rag over it.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

20 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

With the high probability that the bill C-16 is going to become a law, it is highly possible that more laws restring free speech are going to be passed. 

Sorry, I meant SJWs, not Trudeau.

None of those things are ok. Castro was a tyrant who put LGBT people in forced labor camp, held political activists in jail, tortured prisoners and restricted freedom speech, expression and press. The health care improved from not treating a wound to putting a dirty rag over it.

If you could be so kind as to state why a freedom of speech issue of this nature affects how well a data center will function.

In Canada, freedom of speech is not absolute.  Freedom of expression can be limited by the government, within reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_in_Canada

C-16:

This enactment amends the Canadian Human Rights Act to add gender identity and gender expression to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination.

The enactment also amends the Criminal Code to extend the protection against hate propaganda set out in that Act to any section of the public that is distinguished by gender identity or expression and to clearly set out that evidence that an offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on gender identity or expression constitutes an aggravating circumstance that a court must take into consideration when it imposes a sentence.

https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-16/

Based on this, what other limits of expression are you expecting beyond this one?

36 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Based on this, what other limits of expression are you expecting beyond this one?

Not respecting or criticizing made up genders and pronouns (they are more or less an idea with no real merit rather than something you have no control over (sex, sexual orientation etc.)) could be considered as a hate speech mainly because the law doesn't say what counts as gender identity or expression.

Spoiler

Retired:

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

But other Scandinavian countries already have some big international company with servers in their country :( Norway doesnt, yet at least, from my knowledge. :(

All the big cloud companies wanted servers on Norwegian soil but our backwards administration didn't give them the tax benefits that Sweden would.

Imagine every one of our 2156 mountains hollowed out for data centers. No natural disasters, permanently low temperatures all in the most unassailable location imaginable. But our politicians are idiots, especially the conservatives we have in government now. At least it looks like their reign is coming to an end as they currently can't seem to agree with eachother on the most petty issues.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

12 hours ago, stconquest said:

Reveal hidden contents

It always comes back to the age old question: Cucks or Keks?

On the real, i don't see Canada as being that much safer than the US in terms of surveillance. I'm not trying to make a case for my country at all either, i absolutely think it'd be wise to move operations but i mean Canada will kneel in a heartbeat i think. Especially with higher censorship laws there.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

Not respecting or criticizing made up genders and pronouns (they are more or less an idea with no real merit rather than something you have no control over (sex, sexual orientation etc.)) could be considered as a hate speech mainly because the law doesn't say what counts as gender identity or expression.

I really don't get it.  How do you disrespect a pronoun?

I see this law as something that is hard to take into court and even harder to prosecute... unless hateful comments are used as a prelude to a violent act or something.

If someone accidentally refers to a person as a him/her and gets that target's preferred gender wrong, it won't go to court.  It is all about context.  Precedence will dictate how this bill moves through the populous.  That precedence is not yet set.

Now my more pertinent question:  How does this affect the functionality of a data center in a harmful way.

51 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

It always comes back to the age old question: Cucks or Keks?

On the real, i don't see Canada as being that much safer than the US in terms of surveillance. I'm not trying to make a case for my country at all either, i absolutely think it'd be wise to move operations but i mean Canada will kneel in a heartbeat i think. Especially with higher censorship laws there.

The redundancy for my SSD is kept 4 ft from my PC.  It would not make any difference if I kept it 20 ft away.  It still can perform it's intended function.

Again, how do censorship laws here in Canada affect the data center's ability to do it's job?

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The redundancy for my SSD is kept 4 ft from my PC.  It would not make any difference if I kept it 20 ft away.  It still can perform it's intended function.

Again, how do censorship laws here in Canada affect the data center's ability to do it's job?

I'm not talking functionality, ask yourself why they felt compelled to create a mirror in Canada and you'll have your answer.

"If you ain't first, you're last"