Nvidia cutting prices of GTX 780 and 770

TBoti
On a different note:

People need to stop saying "just wait for". Just wait for the new drivers to fix this, just wait for the r series to come out, just wait for a non reference design, just wait for mantle.   Why don't you guys start comparing what exists today rather than making assumptions about future releases in order to justify silly comments.  If you want to "just wait for" then wait and don't comment until it is out. Right now one card is faster and one card is cheaper. There is not really much else to it other than personal preference which cannot be supported with a graph to convince others you are right. 

I completely agree. It's just assumptions and guesses and usually doesn't have any facts to back them up with, at all. That's probably why fanboys like those kinds of arguments so much, because you can't prove them wrong. Taking the 290X and the heat issues as an example. If person 1 says "the 290X is a really hot card" and then people go "wait for <insert unreleased and unannounced third party card here> it will be much better and performs this much better and cost this much less!". Person 1 can't argue against that because there is no proof against it, nor is there any proof to support the claims either. It's the whole "can you PROVE that Santa doesn't exist? No? Then he must exist!" argument all over... Nvidia fanboys are guilty of this as well, with for example the rumors about the Titan Ultra and the people who said it would crush AMD.

Try to not build hype over products, because you usually just end up making yourself disappointed. Bulldozer is a perfect example of this, and I have never been excited for a product launch after that fiasco. Fanboys make up their mind about a product before it is released. Smart people make their mind up after the product is released.

you are just making an assumption....which is wrong by the way.

lol

then stop typing like your mad.

I was staring at the 780 DCii last night and today, thinking about getting it. The price drop pretty much pushed that to a guarantee. The 290x is a great card and the non-X probably will be too, but not only is the X impossible to find, the only thing I've seen so far on watercooled temps is someone talking about 80c at load when overclocked. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I'm not taking the chance of pumping that kind of heat through my loop. I build loops to be efficient and quiet, what's the point of removing the loud stock cooler if I need to replace it with loud radiator fans to keep things cool? I'm already thinking about getting an 80mm 280 rad and a 60mm 360 rad to cool my system so I can look into even quieter fans.

Tom's hardware thinks that "maybe the company’s board partners will work some thermal magic and “uncork” some of Hawaii’s performance without compromising acoustics"

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Don't forget about eyefinity, 2 290Xs are way faster than 2 780s and even Titans in eyefinity.

And the 290X has a frame-pacing hardware implementation for both 4K and eyefinity.

You arent too bright at the moment are you?

If one 780 is equal then two would be equal. Since one titan is faster then two titans are faster.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

You arent too bright at the moment are you?

If one 780 is equal then two would be equal. Since one titan is faster then two titans are faster.

He is probably thinking about what you get for a certain amount of money. Two 290Xs doesn't cost that much more than one Titan. The Titan has the worst price:performance ratio of any card on the market though, so obviosuly not going to be as good value as the 290X (which by the way also has really poor price:performance compared to cards such as the 650Ti Boost, 270X and a few other cards).

Boo.. canada is taking to long on those price drops, I'm hoping tomorrow morning the prices will change.

He is probably thinking about what you get for a certain amount of money. Two 290Xs doesn't cost that much more than one Titan. The Titan has the worst price:performance ratio of any card on the market though, so obviosuly not going to be as good value as the 290X (which by the way also has really poor price:performance compared to cards such as the 650Ti Boost, 270X and a few other cards).

Ya but two 780s with aftermarket coolers are cheaper and or equal or better than two 290xs

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

This is pretty cool, doing a new build for a friend, timing could not have been better :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Ended up picking up a 780 Classified. $580 for the only high end 780 with a waterblock was just too good of a price to pass up. I can't believe I'm spending this much on a single GPU. It seems crazy to me. At one point I told myself I would never spend over $300 on any computer part, that has kind of vanished.

Ended up picking up a 780 Classified. $580 for the only high end 780 with a waterblock was just too good of a price to pass up. I can't believe I'm spending this much on a single GPU. It seems crazy to me. At one point I told myself I would never spend over $300 on any computer part, that has kind of vanished.

The crazy part of your story was you saying you'd never spend more than $300 on a computer part, sheesh.

I didn't expect this from Nvidia.  I expected the 780 to drop to $600 at best.  $500 is excellent.  That plus the new bundle makes it a very attractive card (especially considering Never Settle isn't in place for the R7/R9 cards yet).  Way to go.

Was hoping 770 would drop to $299 to go toe-to-toe with R9-280X, but I suppose $329 is close enough.  Shoot, it's a wonderful price considering that was a $500+ GPU less than six months ago.

I'm skeptical about 780-Ti though.  We'll see how it performs soon enough, but it couldn't possibly perform $200 better than 780, could it?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

The crazy part of your story was you saying you'd never spend more than $300 on a computer part, sheesh.

Back when I first starting having the money to do regular computer upgrades (right as the 8000 series from Nvidia came out) you could get great cards for around $300 and CPUs were still reasonably priced. I got a 8800GTS 320 when they first came out and until this year I managed to keep purchases around or under $300. Whether it was buying used/open box items or waiting for big price drops. I got two 9800GTXs for under $600 at one point and had a great (though loud as heck) SLI system. I managed to get a great deal on a 5970 and three Dell 1600x900 monitors and had an Eyefinity system only a couple months after it was introduced and everything came to well under $300 each. At one point I found a $500 HP 1920x1200 monitor (HP's highest end monitor at the time back when that was the highest res you could get on a LCD and still the best TN panel I have ever seen) for $300. For over half a decade I managed to keep to that rule and still get great hardware.

Back when I first starting having the money to do regular computer upgrades (right as the 8000 series from Nvidia came out) you could get great cards for around $300 and CPUs were still reasonably priced. I got a 8800GTS 320 when they first came out and until this year I managed to keep purchases around or under $300. Whether it was buying used/open box items or waiting for big price drops. I got two 9800GTXs for under $600 at one point and had a great (though loud as heck) SLI system. I managed to get a great deal on a 5970 and three Dell 1600x900 monitors and had an Eyefinity system only a couple months after it was introduced and everything came to well under $300 each. At one point I found a $500 HP 1920x1200 monitor (HP's highest end monitor at the time back when that was the highest res you could get on a LCD and still the best TN panel I have ever seen) for $300. For over half a decade I managed to keep to that rule and still get great hardware.

TBH your rule of thumb has me a little jelly. I can remember drooling over all of those cards running a x850 up until the 5xxx series, where my upgrade was a laptop. Those were the days.. Now I'm privileged enough even consider slapping a 2nd 780 for SLI, god I love this price drop.

I didn't expect this from Nvidia.  I expected the 780 to drop to $600 at best.  $500 is excellent.  That plus the new bundle makes it a very attractive card (especially considering Never Settle isn't in place for the R7/R9 cards yet).  Way to go.

Was hoping 770 would drop to $299 to go toe-to-toe with R9-280X, but I suppose $329 is close enough.  Shoot, it's a wonderful price considering that was a $500+ GPU less than six months ago.

I'm skeptical about 780-Ti though.  We'll see how it performs soon enough, but it couldn't possibly perform $200 better than 780, could it?

I'd wager that it would perform better than a 290X, at around ~10% faster. It is priced that way by Nvidia because they can! Even if the 'true' value is somewhere in the $600/$650 range.

Tom's hardware thinks that "maybe the company’s board partners will work some thermal magic and “uncork” some of Hawaii’s performance without compromising acoustics"

TH going for their PhD in Common Sense there, I see :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Good news for us consumers. Bad news for AMD. If the GTX 780 and 290X costs the same then I don't really see any reason to recommend the 290X.

This is where you are wrong.

I will still go for an AMD card simply because I will not give my money to a company that purposefully throttles linux drivers! Plus AMD cards just got a massive improvement with the Linux kernel.

(I don't give a damn about mantle until I see it running in linux with more than one game.)

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

This is where you are wrong.

I will still go for an AMD card simply because I will not give my money to a company that purposefully throttles linux drivers! Plus AMD cards just got a massive improvement with the Linux kernel.

(I don't give a damn about mantle until I see it running in linux with more than one game.)

See, I don't get that. The closed source Nvidia drivers are still much much better than the closed source AMD drivers on GNU/Linux. Even a mid-range Nvidia card performs better than a high end AMD card on GNU/Linux because of the far superior drivers. The "open source" drivers from AMD are better than the open source drivers for Nvidia though. I put "open source" in quotations for AMD because their "open source" drivers are filled with binary blobs, which kind of defeats the purpose of having them open source really.

So yeah, if you want to use GNU/Linux then I highly suggest an Nvidia card.

Just saved $140 on a 780 from Newegg after the pricecut. Been waiting and waiting and waiting between a 780 and a 290x, definitely glad I was patient.

ANNNDDDD since my purchase yesterday of a 780 for $520... Newegg raised the price on the same card to $560 today.... makes me even happier!

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

If I had the money I would up grade my computer to the 780 and get the Nvidia Shield. Sweet bundle.

Good news for us consumers. Bad news for AMD. If the GTX 780 and 290X costs the same then I don't really see any reason to recommend the 290X.

well the 290x still has an extra gb of vram which will help out when running 2560x1440 as well as 4k resolutions.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

well the 290x still has an extra gb of vram which will help out when running 2560x1440 as well as 4k resolutions.

Hooray for the two people with 4k monitors.

Hooray for the two people with 4k monitors.

one day I will have a 4k monitor....one day...lol

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

See, I don't get that. The closed source Nvidia drivers are still much much better than the closed source AMD drivers on GNU/Linux. Even a mid-range Nvidia card performs better than a high end AMD card on GNU/Linux because of the far superior drivers. The "open source" drivers from AMD are better than the open source drivers for Nvidia though. I put "open source" in quotations for AMD because their "open source" drivers are filled with binary blobs, which kind of defeats the purpose of having them open source really.

So yeah, if you want to use GNU/Linux then I highly suggest an Nvidia card.

With the latest kernel update of linux AMD cards got a performance increase of up to 50%

Also Linus Torvalds has famously given the finger to Nvidia, I don't see how Nvidia cards could be better for linux, especially if they are throttling the cards. They made and artificial bottleneck in their drivers so that their cards would not be able to run more than three screens, so as to "not compete with windows".

I am not saying that I don't like Nvidia cards, I love their cards in fact, they look good and their drivers are well designed in windows but I use linux too much to want just windows optimised stuff.

I cannot wait for the day when I can ditch windows.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.