Nvidia cutting prices of GTX 780 and 770

TBoti

Nvidia will make their bundles better as well. I think you get three AAA games with the 780 (don't quote me on that though) and 100 dollars off on a Shield. Not so sure about compute performance, depends on the application I guess. In some the 290X will be better, in some the 780 will be better. More VRAM is valid, but it won't be that useful for 95% of people, which doesn't run games at 2560x1600 or 4K.

The Nvidia Bundle & 100$ off shield is US only, which makes it almost irrelevant.

im ignorant? lol

dude it was totally designed to run at higher temps lol

clocks/price??   the 780 was 650 and runs at 900mhz ish

the 290x is 599 and runs at 1000mhz    

we are not talking OC...yes we already know 780 oc more due to it have more headroom due to better cooling...

you are speaking jibberish lol

and its doesnt just win in optimized games....your incorrect again  do some reading man...

and im no fanboy lol @ you...I just use common sense

The price was dropped, & you were talking about watercooling with a gpu block and overclocking the gpu. Therefore the 780 would have higher oc speed, run cooler, and be cheaper.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The price was dropped, & you were talking about watercooling with a gpu block and overclocking the gpu. Therefore the 780 would have higher oc speed, run cooler, and be cheaper.

The 780 doesn't overclock higher, PCPers R9 290X was overclocked to 1100mhz, that's just 10mhz under the 780.

And this was done on the stock cooler.

Also don't forget Mantle which is going to be important for BF4, and more memory, 4GB vs 3GB.

Keep in mind the R9 290 is also coming at $449 and it's going to be as fast as the 780, AMD still has a dark horse in its track....

The Nvidia Bundle & 100$ off shield is US only, which makes it almost irrelevant.

The Shield is only available in North America (as far as I know) so they might change that as it gets launched in other countries. Even if they don't, the US is a huge market so saying that it's irrelevant is not fair.

The 780 doesn't overclock higher, PCPers R9 290X was overclocked to 1100mhz, that's just 10mhz under the 780.

Please... Don't compare 1MHz on a 290X against 1MHz on a 780... That's simply not how it works. The 780 overclocks better which is why Linus' tests showed the 780 beating the 290X when overclocked, and other sites shows the 290X beating the 780 at stock.

Don't forget Mantle and TrueAudio both of which are coming to BF4, the new Dragon Age, the new Mass Effect and a bunch of other games.

Oh right TrueAudio. Nvidia has PhysX and that new lighting though. We will see how support for all these new things are and which ones has the biggest impact on games.

Please... Don't compare 1MHz on a 290X against 1MHz on a 780... That's simply not how it works. The 780 overclocks better which is why Linus' tests showed the 780 beating the 290X when overclocked, and other sites shows the 290X beating the 780 at stock.

Wait wait wait, you're saying the 780 overclocks better, but don't want to compare overclocks ? that doesn't make any sense !

The 290X has a typical boost clock of 940mhz, the 780 has a typical boost clock of 990mhz (according to Anandtech).

PCPer's 290x was overclocked to 1100mhz, that's a 17% increase.

Linus's 780 was overclocked to 1110mhz, that's a 12% increase.

Techpowerup's 290X was overclocked to 1145mhz, a 21% increase.

The 780 does NOT overclock better, Linus/Slick either had a bad overclocker which happens sometimes, or they couldn't figure out the new Powertune overclocking method.

yes but this whole argument is about @ stock....not what you can do after....the overclocking argument is besides the point...and we will deal with that soon...

the dropped prices are left out as they just did it today in order to undercut amd....therefore we're talking about what the original prices were (not spending extra on things like a waterblock...I say that just to counter the "it cant oc at all" bs).  Like I said take off retail price for bf4 and your back in the same range of the price drops.

and you don't think once a waterblock is on the 290x that it wont overclock more and stay much cooler?  you think its still going to run 80-90 with a waterblock??   c'mon

780 ocs more because it has a better cooler....so it has the headroom, while the 290x has the same generic cooler as the past generation(s), which gives it no or very little headroom to oc as its already reaching its thermal limit.

get rid of the thermal barrier and its going to overclock just as well or better  (but this is where the silicon lottery comes in on a individual basis)

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Please don't compare nvidia clocks to amd clocks. Their gpu's have different architecture, so the value of mhz doesn't matter. The only time you can compare the frequency of one card to another is when they are the same model. For instance the msi gtx770 to asus gtx 770.

that's totally true can't compare cuz its different architectures, they are not equal.....I was only was saying that because it was brought up already....and to generalize things and make a point...

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Oh right TrueAudio. Nvidia has PhysX and that new lighting though. We will see how support for all these new things are and which ones has the biggest impact on games.

That's Nvidia PR, there is no "new lighting" AMD already implemented Global Illumination in Dirt Showdown more than a year ago which is the first game ever to use global illumination.

AMD will also implement in-game physics with Mantle.

DiRT Showdown is the world’s first game to use Global Illumination while it also supports Advanced Lighting via Forward+ Rendering, High Definition Ambient Occulation (HDAO) and Contact Hardening Shadows.

http://www.techspot.com/review/546-amd-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition/page7.html

My 780 has been running at 1240mhz for over a month. Evga ftw acx cooler.

Just throwing it out there. But really it is too early to factor 290x clocks into any kind of debate. Wait for aftermarket coolers and more consumers to have the cards.

At the end of the day with all of this...everyone wins. Amd and nv fans alike.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

That's Nvidia PR, there is no "new lighting" AMD already implemented Global Illumination in Dirt Showdown more than a year ago which is the first game ever to use global illumination.

http://www.techspot.com/review/546-amd-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition/page7.html

Lol thanks for pointing that out, i thought GI was an Nvidia thing ever since their conference -_-" Fuckin nonsense

Just throwing it out there. But really it is too early to factor 290x clocks into any kind of debate. Wait for aftermarket coolers and more consumers to have the cards.

^This

Comparing a Stock 290X against top-of-the-line aftermarket OC 780 is plain stupid, talk only when the same comes for the 290X

Couldn't agree more. Regardless of which card is "better" the competition is what drives inovation ahead and the prices down.

Makes It really interesting. But at the moment I'm more inclined to go with the 290x because of better performance in high resolution game rendering. Eyefinity probably has a better experience on a 290x than surround on a GTX 780 I think

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

holy shit, I almost bit the dust and ordered the 290x in the morning at work but i realized that i forgot my debit card at home. now it's a 780 for me please. ordering as soon as i get home. 

I guess i gotta thank AMD for this. 

plus, fuck having to deal with a 95C card in my tj08

More VRAM is valid, but it won't be that useful for 95% of people, which doesn't run games at 2560x1600 or 4K.

95% of people don't buy 290Xs or 780s.

holy shit, I almost bit the dust and ordered the 290x in the morning at work but i realized that i forgot my debit card at home. now it's a 780 for me please. ordering as soon as i get home. 

I guess i gotta thank AMD for this. 

plus, fuck having to deal with a 95C card in my tj08

How about you wait till the market settles down and AMD maybe drops the prices on the 290x too, maybe not too likely, but possible. +Wait for aftermarket coolers for the 290x.

I don't like that statement. It's misleading. Linus showed a reference 780 vs a reference 290x. Adjectives matter: a months down the line when non-reference 290xs come out, they should overclock better.

I couldn't recommenced a $100 reference NVidia cooler just so you can overclock your card and get a few more FPS. Now with the price drops... That's a different story.

PS -- When someone says 780 or 290x, I see non-reference cards also (basically the silicon, as that doesn't change from card to card, a cooler does). Because the reference 290x has such a poor cooler, the reference 290x doesn't overclock well. Granted this is a huge minus for AMD, just about every other reviewer can see past that mistake and not be so shortsighted (Like Tom's Hardware, giving an Elite award).

PPS -- A card that is capable of running at 95C, that's got to be good build quality (another plus for AMD).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

95% of people don't buy 290Xs or 780s.

Granted, the 95% number that Lawlz used was a guess, probably. So therefore, your 95% number isn't that valid either.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

PPS -- A card that is capable of running at 95C, that's got to be good build quality (another plus for AMD).

NVIDIA has stated before that video cards can run at 100 degrees C constantly with no issues.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I want price cuts on the 760 :(

Granted, the 95% number that Lawlz used was a guess, probably. So therefore, your 95% number isn't that valid either.

Not really a guess, you can check it out on Steam's hardware survey.

I was making a point, saying ridiculous things to prove something wrong makes you lose credibility ( not you, LAWLZ)

NVIDIA has stated before that video cards can run at 100 degrees C constantly with no issues.

That's great! I've seen some comments from people (hopefully not you) complaining about the 290x build quality.

plus, having to deal with a 95C card in my tj08

The reference cooler is a blower design; this means you'd have to deal with the temps mostly outside your case (compared to most aftermarket coolers).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

The only way to determine how much heat the 290x actually generates is to wait for aftermarket coolers and compare a 780 and a 290x with the same cooler. You can obviously can get these numbers by power consumption and rule of thump, but a 290x constantly running @1000mhz boost clock is going to be pretty beastly(as seen by the pcper review). The actual overclocking headroom of these chips won't be determined by a few reviewers. You have to wait till a bigger amount of people get those cards and it can be determined by numbers how these cards overclock.

Prices are now dropping on Newegg (USA).

Aftermarket coolers still come at a slight premium. Prices ranging from $499 to $549.

I would expect even lower prices come around christmas. :D

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X