Nvidia cutting prices of GTX 780 and 770

TBoti

With the latest kernel update of linux AMD cards got a performance increase of up to 50%

Also Linus Torvalds has famously given the finger to Nvidia, I don't see how Nvidia cards could be better for linux, especially if they are throttling the cards. They made and artificial bottleneck in their drivers so that their cards would not be able to run more than three screens, so as to "not compete with windows".

I am not saying that I don't like Nvidia cards, I love their cards in fact, they look good and their drivers are well designed in windows but I use linux too much to want just windows optimised stuff.

I cannot wait for the day when I can ditch windows.

Can't believe I have to explain this yet again...

Are you kidding? AMD's drivers are much worse than Nvidia's on GNU/Linux. The reason why Torvalds gave Nvidia the middle finger was not because their drivers are poor, it's that they are control freaks over their drivers and and therefore hard to work with (the original question for Linus was regarding Nvidia's support for Optimus on GNU/Linux, which was terrible and they basically said "no we're not going to do it"). However, their closed source drivers are much much better than anything AMD has on GNU/Linux, and they have recently started helping Nouveau with some documentation (not nearly enough if you ask me though).

As you can see in these benchmarks (on phoronix), even the 550 Ti from Nvidia runs circles around the Radeon 6950 thanks to the much better closed source drivers. Performance is more sane and what you'd expect when comparing the open source ones though, but AMD's open source drivers contains lots of binary blobs unlike Nouveau which kind of defeats the purpose.

Even with the recent 50% increase, AMD are still very far behind on GNU/Linux because their drivers are so poor.

Good news for us consumers. Bad news for AMD. If the GTX 780 and 290X costs the same then I don't really see any reason to recommend the 290X.

4k gaming

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

4k gaming

Nope not even for that. The 290X is not powerful enough for 4K gaming and 4K monitors are far too expensive. Future proofing doesn't work either so don't try to tell me "well you buy a 290X now and then wait until 4K becomes affordable" because that is not smart.

Today, the MSi Gaming OC card touched base at around the old price of the Asus Direct CU II 770 here in Norway. I was not expecting this much of a price cut, the 290x is now 1200 NOK (about £120 and a $203) more expensive with stock cooler than an aftermarket 780 in Norway. That's quite insane really. Does MSi have factories or distribution centres in Europe? I can't fathom how MSi do it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Nope not even for that. The 290X is not powerful enough for 4K gaming and 4K monitors are far too expensive. Future proofing doesn't work either so don't try to tell me "well you buy a 290X now and then wait until 4K becomes affordable" because that is not smart.

a 290x in crossfire is. a 780 in SLi does not. i did not say it was a smart purchase, but its not that bad

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Can't believe I have to explain this yet again...

Even with the recent 50% increase, AMD are still very far behind on GNU/Linux because their drivers are so poor.

Could you please get me some benchmarks. It would help me out a heap in deciding what graphics card to get for my build.

I have looked around but I can only find benchmarks for a 7950 and 680 comparison.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

a 290x in crossfire is. a 780 in SLi does not. i did not say it was a smart purchase, but its not that bad

So basically your argument is that if you are planning on spending 1000 dollars on a GPU, and 3300 dollars on a monitor then the 290X is a better buy. Yeah... You're right but I have never seen anyone ask for GPUs and monitors alone, with a 4300 dollar budget.

Could you please get me some benchmarks. It would help me out a heap in deciding what graphics card to get for my build.

I have looked around but I can only find benchmarks for a 7950 and 680 comparison.

The Phoronix article I linked to in my quote includes benchmarks for a lot of cards. Please note that this was before the ~50% upgrade in performance so you need to add that (I think the 50% was the maximum increase, and a lot of stuff didn't get that big of an increase so keep that in mind as well).

4k gaming

By the time 4K becomes a reasonable option for 95% of PC gamers we will be well beyond the 290x. That said, it is an easy recommendation for people looking into multi-monitor gaming simply because AMD actually gives a crap about it while Nvidia Surround is kind of meh.

So basically your argument is that if you are planning on spending 1000 dollars on a GPU, and 3300 dollars on a monitor then the 290X is a better buy. Yeah... You're right but I have never seen anyone ask for GPUs and monitors alone, with a 4300 dollar budget.

The Phoronix article I linked to in my quote includes benchmarks for a lot of cards. Please note that this was before the ~50% upgrade in performance so you need to add that (I think the 50% was the maximum increase, and a lot of stuff didn't get that big of an increase so keep that in mind as well).

i never said it was a good selling point. it just is one of the possibilities why you should want one.

By the time 4K becomes a reasonable option for 95% of PC gamers we will be well beyond the 290x. That said, it is an easy recommendation for people looking into multi-monitor gaming simply because AMD actually gives a crap about it while Nvidia Surround is kind of meh.

maybe. but right now. if you want 4k gaming. there is realisticly 1 option. the 290x

while I am an AMD fan. This is a pretty good move by NVIDIA. The 770 is still sort of in the same position, but the 780 is at a very good place. I would take a 780 right now over a 290x as long as AMD doesn't add any awesome game bundles included. I don't really care anyways, competition is always good. I already ordered a 280x and the worst that could happen is I could be missing out on a few percent performance loss or a few dollars which could have been spent better. In the real world, 5 fps or 30 dollars is not worth all this time arguing over which is the better option

I didn't expect this from Nvidia.  I expected the 780 to drop to $600 at best.  $500 is excellent.  That plus the new bundle makes it a very attractive card (especially considering Never Settle isn't in place for the R7/R9 cards yet).  Way to go.

Was hoping 770 would drop to $299 to go toe-to-toe with R9-280X, but I suppose $329 is close enough.  Shoot, it's a wonderful price considering that was a $500+ GPU less than six months ago.

I'm skeptical about 780-Ti though.  We'll see how it performs soon enough, but it couldn't possibly perform $200 better than 780, could it?

i certainly believe it can. Remember top end is usually 5-15% better than the next card in line. So you gonna pay a hefty premium for the boost, but thats what bragging rights are for :P

At the event in Montreal CEO said "Best video card we've ever made" I know thats just self-praising most likely, but if its a fully unlocked GK110 Meant for gaming, im pretty sure it would get the boost needed to justify the 150 premium over the 290X. Since Nvidia knows the 290X's opening benchmarks, they have to have confidence if price is set at $699, otherwise why would they make a fool of themselves?

The price of the MSI 770 TF OC is now down to €225 !!!!

Without tax this is $250 (for the US crowd) ;)

That is almost the same price a 760 would go for a week ago :D

This card is cheaper then the cheapest R9 280x.

This price has been confirmed by a retailer.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

if all you guys have to say is it runs cooler....your argument is invalid....you can't spin negativity on something when it is DESIGNED to run at a certain temp.

read the anandtech review in detail

and if you put a aftermarket cooler or block on then your only point is squashed...

I still love you tho :D  lol

its better if your card runs cooler because that means you get more overclocking headroom before reaching the cards max temps

for example if say the max temps on both 290x and 780 are 90*C...

if the 290x is running at 80*C stock clocks, and the 780 is running at 60*C stock

that means that you can overclock the 780 until it reaches 90*C, which is a 30*C headroom

while the 290x would only be able to turn up the clocks a very tiny bit before it hit 90*C, a 10*C headroom

obviously the 780 will be able to overclock 3 times as much as the 290x

of course it is not as extreme irl, this is just an example

but it still works the same way

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ive heard un confirmed rumors that 290x has bad over clocking. But even without that I see no need for a 290x..... now more expensive, less driver support, worse multicard support and amd has tried to fool us once by saying 290x will kill titans whats to say mantle isn't a bluff aswell?

Paintball meet up KD 7(8?)/1 + one capture 

dat duckface doe 

Holy crap, I just found an MSI TF GTX 780 for 450 euros!

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans