Nvidia cutting prices of GTX 780 and 770

TBoti

Will the price of 760s and potentially 7970s come down soon?

I don't think prices for 7970(280x) are going to drop, they are a bargain already.(If you mean real 7970's, I don't think so, they are already almost unavailable in the shops I normally use and most of the time they are more expensive then the 280x's.)

I hope this instigates some price wars.

Why do these threads always turn in AMD this, Nvidia that, rife with assertions and ignorance from both sides of the fence...

Everybody who bought a 290x is regretting it. I'm sorry if you bought a 290x. I really am

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: EVGA 660 SC - Awaiting Gigabyte 770 HOF MOBO: Asus p8z77-V Pro PSU: Corsair CX600 - Awaiting Corsair RM850 Storage: 750GB Seagate SSHD + 500GB HDD - Awaiting 250GB Samsung 840 EVO RAM:  16GB ( 4x4GB ) Crucial BallistiX Sports - Awaiting Crucial BallistiX Tracer 16GB Kit Case: NZXT Phantom - Awaiting Undecided Upgrade CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

lol if I bought a 290x I'd be boned.

What are you talking about, the 290X is still the fastest GPU out there and you can do Eyefinity/multi-monitor & 4K gaming on it since you have 4GB, something you can't do on the 780.

And it supports hardware frame-pacing in both eyefinity & 4K so you can do crossfire for added performance.

scatter-99th-780cuts.png

http://techreport.com/news/25570/nvidia-cuts-gtx-770-780-prices-primes-gtx-780-ti-for-11-7

Everybody who bought a 290x is regretting it. I'm sorry if you bought a 290x. I really am

You see what I'm saying...

Prices on the 770 & 780 WILL come down, right now is the worst time to buy a 780 or a 770, wait for the price drops.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69156-buying-a-gtx-770/#entry948248

Wait wait wait, you're saying the 780 overclocks better, but don't want to compare overclocks ? that doesn't make any sense !

The 290X has a typical boost clock of 940mhz, the 780 has a typical boost clock of 990mhz (according to Anandtech).

PCPer's 290x was overclocked to 1100mhz, that's a 17% increase.

Linus's 780 was overclocked to 1110mhz, that's a 12% increase.

Techpowerup's 290X was overclocked to 1145mhz, a 21% increase.

The 780 does NOT overclock better, Linus/Slick either had a bad overclocker which happens sometimes, or they couldn't figure out the new Powertune overclocking method.

Sigh... All I said was that you can't just say "well the 290X ran at a higher MHz so therefore it is better at overclocking!". Percentage like you're showing now is a much better indicator, but you're still ignoring that performance does not scale linearly with frequency increase. Some architectures gain more per MHz than other. Also, with the new throttling the 290X has the card might say it runs at one MHz, but then clocks itself down to another when you actually run programs.

95% of people don't buy 290Xs or 780s.

You are missing my point. What I meant out of the people who are buying a ~500 dollar GPU, only a very small percentage of them will actually need all that memory bandwidth, since it will mostly be useful at extremely high resolutions which most people don't use.

I don't like that statement. It's misleading. Linus showed a reference 780 vs a reference 290x. Adjectives matter: a months down the line when non-reference 290xs come out, they should overclock better.

I couldn't recommenced a $100 reference NVidia cooler just so you can overclock your card and get a few more FPS. Now with the price drops... That's a different story.

PS -- When someone says 780 or 290x, I see non-reference cards also (basically the silicon, as that doesn't change from card to card, a cooler does). Because the reference 290x has such a poor cooler, the reference 290x doesn't overclock well. Granted this is a huge minus for AMD, just about every other reviewer can see past that mistake and not be so shortsighted (Like Tom's Hardware, giving an Elite award).

PPS -- A card that is capable of running at 95C, that's got to be good build quality (another plus for AMD).

So many things wrong in this post...

I don't like that statement. It's misleading. Linus showed a reference 780 vs a reference 290x. Adjectives matter: a months down the line when non-reference 290xs come out, they should overclock better.

I couldn't recommenced a $100 reference NVidia cooler just so you can overclock your card and get a few more FPS. Now with the price drops... That's a different story.

Those are not out yet. We have no idea how well they will perform. This whole statement is based on nothing but assumptions. Even if the card itself will be cooler, it still produces the same amount of heat, which might affect your other components. Twist the truth however much you want, but the fact is that the 290X is a really hot card, and produces a lot of heat. I think it's funny that I had exactly the same conversation with Nvidia fanboys trying to defend the ridiculous heat output of the GTX 480 a few years ago, and back then I had full support from AMD fanboys. Now when the roles are versed, my supporters are also reversed even though I am saying the exact same things...

Heat = bad.

Not sure why you're implying that I was recommending the 780 at 650 dollars when the 290X was out. I never did. Hell I even said something along the times of "that performance at that price is worth the higher heat output and power consumption".

PS -- When someone says 780 or 290x, I see non-reference cards also (basically the silicon, as that doesn't change from card to card, a cooler does). Because the reference 290x has such a poor cooler, the reference 290x doesn't overclock well. Granted this is a huge minus for AMD, just about every other reviewer can see past that mistake and not be so shortsighted (Like Tom's Hardware, giving an Elite award).

Reviews are not based on assumptions. When a reviewer see that the card produces a lot of heat they will say it produces a lot of heat. They are not there to sugarcoat everything and say "well with this unknown, yet to be released card we have not tested yet it will be great, so go but the 290X : D". The 290X is a really hot card. All 290Xs you can currently buy are really hot, really loud and uses a lot of power. That's the cold hard truth. Your arguments doesn't hold water right now. They will when the reference cards are out and have been tested, but right now they are nothing more than speculation based on no real facts whatsoever.

PPS -- A card that is capable of running at 95C, that's got to be good build quality (another plus for AMD).

How is that a plus? A ton of graphics cards can handle that kind of heat. That the card can operate under normal circumstances does not mean it is high quality, it means it is passable quality at least. If the 290X couldn't handle 95 degrees, and the card would run at that under normal circumstances then it would be a huge minus for AMD. I don't understand your logic at all. It's like saying my Volkswagen Golf is a good car because it doesn't collapse under it's own weight. "The wheels can handle over a ton of weight so therefore it is good!".

Just to be clear, I think the 290X is a really good card at 550 dollars (not as much now that the 680 has dropped in price), but your reasons as to why it is good are completely illogical and/or based on speculations.

What are you talking about, the 290X is still the fastest GPU out there and you can do 4K gaming on it since you have 4GB, something you can't do on the 780.

scatter-99th-780cuts.png

http://techreport.com/news/25570/nvidia-cuts-gtx-770-780-prices-primes-gtx-780-ti-for-11-7

And how many people are currently gaming at 4K? Even then a single 290X is not really enough for 4K unless you are OK with <30 FPS, which i doubt anyone here is.

Just saved $140 on a 780 from Newegg after the pricecut. Been waiting and waiting and waiting between a 780 and a 290x, definitely glad I was patient.

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

And how many people are currently gaming at 4K? Even then a single 290X is not really enough for 4K unless you are OK with <30 FPS, which i doubt anyone here is.

Don't forget about eyefinity, 2 290Xs are way faster than 2 780s and even Titans in eyefinity.

And the 290X has a frame-pacing hardware implementation for both 4K and eyefinity.

So many things wrong in this post...

I thought you were going to stop here. I'm glad you didn't. I hate it when people do.

Those are not out yet. We have no idea how well they will perform.

I agree, they are not out. But logically, they will perform better.

If you insist on data:

The reference R9 270x has a very similar cooler to that of the reference R9 290x. Based on this review, the stock cooler keeps the card at 78C.

The MSI R9 290x HAWK is a non-reference cooler. Based on another review, the HAWK cooler keeps the card at 70C.

That's a 10% improvement. Apply the same concept to the 290x. You should see similar improvements to clocks (I agree, we don't know for a fact, but it would be illogical to think otherwise).

Even if the card itself will be cooler, it still produces the same amount of heat, which might affect your other components. Twist the truth however much you want, but the fact is that the 290X is a really hot card, and produces a lot of heat. I think it's funny that I had exactly the same conversation with Nvidia fanboys trying to defend the ridiculous heat output of the GTX 480 a few years ago, and back then I had full support from AMD fanboys. Now when the roles are versed, my supporters are also reversed even though I am saying the exact same things...

Heat = bad.

Not sure why you're implying that I was recommending the 780 at 650 dollars when the 290X was out. I never did. Hell I even said something along the times of "that performance at that price is worth the higher heat output and power consumption".

I agree with you heat is bad. People seem to be fine with overclocking (which gives higher temps most of the time). I was trying to imply LTT and TTL were recommending the 780 over the 290x; I'm sorry for the confusion.

Reviews are not based on assumptions. When a reviewer see that the card produces a lot of heat they will say it produces a lot of heat. They are not there to sugarcoat everything and say "well with this unknown, yet to be released card we have not tested yet it will be great, so go but the 290X : D". The 290X is a really hot card. All 290Xs you can currently buy are really hot, really loud and uses a lot of power. That's the cold hard truth. Your arguments doesn't hold water right now. They will when the reference cards are out and have been tested, but right now they are nothing more than speculation based on no real facts whatsoever.

I'll give you that one. I still think they are reviewing the whole lineup of future 290xs. Otherwise, an overclocked 780 would beat the 290x down (as seen with LTT and TTL benchmarks), and the 290x wouldn't receive such high honors.

How is that a plus? A ton of graphics cards can handle that kind of heat. That the card can operate under normal circumstances does not mean it is high quality, it means it is passable quality at least. If the 290X couldn't handle 95 degrees, and the card would run at that under normal circumstances then it would be a huge minus for AMD. I don't understand your logic at all. It's like saying my Volkswagen Golf is a good car because it doesn't collapse under it's own weight. "The wheels can handle over a ton of weight so therefore it is good!".
I was simply venting over a comment I read on a review stating that the 290x has bad build quality. It is a plus that your Volkswagen Golf doesn't collapse under it's own weight. If it did... you wouldn't buy it.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

How about you wait till the market settles down and AMD maybe drops the prices on the 290x too, maybe not too likely, but possible. +Wait for aftermarket coolers for the 290x.

I've been waiting for long enough, i was supposed to upgrade back in July but i waited for AMD. NOW that everything is out, 780 makes more sense. But i'll wait for the 290 reviews to come out and see how well it performs and how hot it gets. Hopefully by the end of this weekend i'll make a decision. and i'm not waiting for non reference 290x cards because

- we don't know when they'll come out (rumours say december)

- i have a very small case, i don't want heat getting dumped inside it, i want a card that runs moderately cool and quite with a blower type cooler, and so far it seems the 780 satisfies that criteria.

It's time to say good bye to my good old 5870, it has served me well. 

Oh it's even better than I thought!  I've seen one price drop on 770s, and most other 770s are still more than $400, even in their price drop advertisments!

Go Canada!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

and i'm not waiting for non reference 290x cards because

- we don't know when they'll come out (rumours say december)

- i have a very small case, i don't want heat getting dumped inside it, i want a card that runs moderately cool and quite with a blower type cooler, and so far it seems the 780 satisfies that criteria.

Both Linus & Elric said their non-reference 290Xs are coming this week.

Price cuts only announced today so it'll be a week or three before I see any cheaper 780s out here in Winnipeg. However I'm going to wait a bit and see if any reviews of the 290x under water cooling surface.

Either way we get titan level performance from cards less than $600.

I'm hoping people don't jump too earlier because I've seen the NCIX prices and most of them bundle with shield is still pre-cut prices.

i couldve ha d a 780 T.T

I'm kind of mad too... D:

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

its not valid because you guys are using things that are personal preference.....runs hotter??....sounds louder???  im talking about performance.....those issues are EASILY solved....and take those away....and you have nothing to give it a legitimate 1up...

now its cheaper you say???   well take off the price of retail BF4 and the 290x is in the range of the new lowered prices of the 780....

now....would I pay a few extra bucks to get new technology and features....damn right I would.  its a no brainer decision...

im no fanboy, I like both sides....just because I haven't had a NVidia car for years dosent mean anything.

in the end the only reason these prices are lowered is because the 290x has made a fool of the 780 in terms of pricing....so nvidias only option is to SLASH prices in order to compete....

they don't give a shit....there going to have all the fanboys buying a 780ti now....even tho most of you just bought a 780 in the last year....they are laughing at those people....and filling their pockets

I still love you tooooooo  lol

well isnt someone obnoxious...

As expected... now it doesn't make any sense to go 290X unless you plan on going 4K watercooling two of them...

That's great! I've seen some comments from people (hopefully not you) complaining about the 290x build quality.

Wasn't me. But AMD does need a better fan. Too loud.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

well isnt someone obnoxious...

you are just making an assumption....which is wrong by the way.

lol

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

I hope this instigates some price wars.

Why do these threads always turn in AMD this, Nvidia that, rife with assertions and ignorance from both sides of the fence...

Because fanboys a re fanboys and people treat intel, Nvidia and amd like sports teams.  You can't let facts get in the way of your team being the best.

The reality of the situation is that both companies produce cards that will allow you to play and enjoy games.  You might be a bit shitty if you had to suffer the frame issues of amd or the driver issues nvidia had a little while ago, or maybe the heat issues with the 480 or even the amd system crashing drivers. But as you can see it is not one sided.

On a different note:

People need to stop saying "just wait for". Just wait for the new drivers to fix this, just wait for the r series to come out, just wait for a non reference design, just wait for mantle.   Why don't you guys start comparing what exists today rather than making assumptions about future releases in order to justify silly comments.  If you want to "just wait for" then wait and don't comment until it is out. Right now one card is faster and one card is cheaper. There is not really much else to it other than personal preference which cannot be supported with a graph to convince others you are right. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.