Nvidia cutting prices of GTX 780 and 770

TBoti

Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. Where do you get your information? because it's not very good.

Have you been living under a rock???  Have you looked at any review beside linustechtips??

where do you get your information? fantasyland?  :P

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Good news for us consumers. Bad news for AMD. If the GTX 780 and 290X costs the same then I don't really see any reason to recommend the 290X.

It's even worse the GTX780 is now cheaper in europe xD

RTX2070OC 

Pfffft, the 780 will be cheaper than the 290X, and it runs cooler.

if all you guys have to say is it runs cooler....your argument is invalid....you can't spin negativity on something when it is DESIGNED to run at a certain temp.

read the anandtech review in detail

and if you put a aftermarket cooler or block on then your only point is squashed...

I still love you tho :D  lol

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

if all you guys have to say is it runs cooler....your argument is invalid....you can't spin negativity on something when it is DESIGNED to run at a certain temp.

and if you put a aftermarket cooler or block on then your only point is squashed...

Lol, I had 2 points. Anyways, though I know it is designed to run at 95C, it would be putting off a lot of heat. That may be okay for it, but not whatever it is exhausting on.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It is valid, because it already runs on its max wich gives no overhead for overclocking while you can get easy 300mhz more on every GTX780.

And it still will be cooler and quieter.

And now it's cheaper why should anybody buy a R9-290X right now I can't see any reason.

I already found a Asus GTX780 DirectCUII for 70€ cheaper then a R9-290X on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.de/ASUS-GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5-3072MB-384bit-DisplayPort/dp/B00DQ5E8DQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382967297&sr=8-4&keywords=GTX780

RTX2070OC 

Looks to be cheaper in the US as well. Initial reports indicated the 780 is coming down to $499.

Well you're pretty ignorant. You said you be slapping a cooling block on it and overclocking it. The 290x wasn't "designed to run at higher temps", it may handle high temps, and be clocked to them upon shipping, but the overall clock speed/price compared to 780, 780 will win. 290x is only ahead in games optimized for mantle or amd anyhow. & More games coming out are making use of physX. Just because you're an amd fan boy doesn't mean you can't objectively look at a comparison of two products based on price/performance.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTX 780 at $500? Yesssss, it should have been like that since it was released! I never supported a $650 flagship when previous generations were all $500, Good job Nvidia. [Although arguably the 780Ti is the new flagship... and it's fucking $700!]

It is valid, because it already runs on its max wich gives no overhead for overclocking while you can get easy 300mhz more on every GTX780.

And it still will be cooler and quieter.

And now it's cheaper why should anybody buy a R9-290X right now I can't see any reason.

I already found a Asus GTX780 DirectCUII for 70€ cheaper then a R9-290X on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.de/ASUS-GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5-3072MB-384bit-DisplayPort/dp/B00DQ5E8DQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382967297&sr=8-4&keywords=GTX780

its not valid because you guys are using things that are personal preference.....runs hotter??....sounds louder???  im talking about performance.....those issues are EASILY solved....and take those away....and you have nothing to give it a legitimate 1up...

now its cheaper you say???   well take off the price of retail BF4 and the 290x is in the range of the new lowered prices of the 780....

now....would I pay a few extra bucks to get new technology and features....damn right I would.  its a no brainer decision...

im no fanboy, I like both sides....just because I haven't had a NVidia car for years dosent mean anything.

in the end the only reason these prices are lowered is because the 290x has made a fool of the 780 in terms of pricing....so nvidias only option is to SLASH prices in order to compete....

they don't give a shit....there going to have all the fanboys buying a 780ti now....even tho most of you just bought a 780 in the last year....they are laughing at those people....and filling their pockets

I still love you tooooooo  lol

210 dollar cut on Overclockers.uk  :o I might just pull the trigger

Well you're pretty ignorant. You said you be slapping a cooling block on it and overclocking it. The 290x wasn't "designed to run at higher temps", it may handle high temps, and be clocked to them upon shipping, but the overall clock speed/price compared to 780, 780 will win. 290x is only ahead in games optimized for mantle or amd anyhow. & More games coming out are making use of physX. Just because you're an amd fan boy doesn't mean you can't objectively look at a comparison of two products based on price/performance.

im ignorant? lol

dude it was totally designed to run at higher temps lol

clocks/price??   the 780 was 650 and runs at 900mhz ish

the 290x is 599 and runs at 1000mhz    

we are not talking OC...yes we already know 780 oc more due to it have more headroom due to better cooling...

you are speaking jibberish lol

and its doesnt just win in optimized games....your incorrect again  do some reading man...

and im no fanboy lol @ you...I just use common sense

hmmz, msi gtx 770 twinfrozr 299€ ,gigabyte windforce and asus directcuII versions at 319 € over here, so tempting 

At 95*C it starts to throttle down... that's why saying "designed to run at 95*C" is invalid. AMD made it up.

If it didn't throttle at 95*C then you could argue it is designed to run at 95*C but in reality once r9 290x reaches the 95*C mark it starts to sloooooooooow dooooooooown.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

At 95*C it starts to throttle down... that's why saying "designed to run at 95*C" is invalid. AMD made it up.

If it didn't throttle at 95*C then you could argue it is designed to run at 95*C but in reality once r9 290x reaches the 95*C mark it starts to sloooooooooow dooooooooown.

And in PCper tests the card was running after a while constant 800-900mhz and not 1Ghz.

RTX2070OC 

Good move nVidia - release Shadowplay and cut prices almost at the same time. 

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

ive read about the throttling...but it only comes down like 100mhz at most if that...

so then its still neck and neck with the 780 comparing clocks....

if you have a well ventilated room or keep ambient temps down to a certain threshold, im sure you will avoid throttling... some of the reviews don't hit the 95c mark. 

amd made nothing up it is designed to run at 95c....remember the uber mode only is 55% fan speed....so the throttling can be avoided.

I've said this in every thread about the 290X vs. 780, "DON"T TALK ABOUT THE PRICE OF FLAGSHIP CARDS!"  When comparing flagship cards pricing will be high if the card is the best of the best (the Titan, as it still is and the 780 before the 290X).  Now that the 290X shows itself to be a competitor at a lower price than the 780, Nvida dropped the price.

So in Canada a 770 will still be $400? Thanks Canada tax

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Good news for us consumers. Bad news for AMD. If the GTX 780 and 290X costs the same then I don't really see any reason to recommend the 290X.

Games, superior compute performance and more VRAM xD that's prettty much it - tbh Shadowplay is quite tempting

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Please don't compare nvidia clocks to amd clocks. Their gpu's have different architecture, so the value of mhz doesn't matter. The only time you can compare the frequency of one card to another is when they are the same model. For instance the msi gtx770 to asus gtx 770.

This is super friggin awesome. 780 sli here I come.

Still is shitty about the 780ti price though. That is just too much. :( c'mon nvidia..... Drop it down.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I like the price for the 780, going to be interesting seeing how it compares to the R9 290, the 770 is still friggin expensive, especially when it only has 2GB of memory and BF4, Bioshock Infinite & Hitman Absolution require 3GB, this puts the 4GB 770 at $370-380 which is still very expensive.

Games, superior compute performance and more VRAM xD that's prettty much it - tbh Shadowplay is quite tempting

Don't forget Mantle and TrueAudio both of which are coming to BF4, the new Dragon Age, the new Mass Effect and a bunch of other games.

So in Canada a 770 will still be $400? Thanks Canada taxEDO

EDIT: Misread your post. Sorry!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Nvidia will make their bundles better as well. I think you get three AAA games with the 780 (don't quote me on that though) and 100 dollars off on a Shield. Not so sure about compute performance, depends on the application I guess. In some the 290X will be better, in some the 780 will be better. More VRAM is valid, but it won't be that useful for 95% of people, which doesn't run games at 2560x1600 or 4K.

ShadowPlay is interesting. Hopefully we will see applications take advantage of QuickSync though (like the new version of RivaTune and Action!), which would make ShadowPlay pretty redundant. Shadow Play seems to be far better as far as usability goes though.

Hopefully G-Sync will become a big thing which is another win for Nvidia.

There are rumors of an updated version of the AMD 280X coming this November/December though, which might shake things up a bit in the sub-500 market. We also got Mantle to look forward to which might be a big deal.

Really looking forward to the new few months to see how everything plays out. It's probably best to wait that long before buying anything as well, to make sure everything stabilizes.