First Zen CPUs to be called SR7, SR5, SR3 and starting at US$220

goodtofufriday

you had one job AMD 

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

So a chip that runs hot at speed?

also the faster you OC the more power efficient it is.  if we are being accurate as well

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

11 minutes ago, AkatsukiKun said:

I think in general, let's say a Skylake 6core costs $600, with a ~10% IPC over broadwell with the previous 6core costing 550. That's a 8.4% price increase for about 10% performance increase.

AMD would need to at least slot themselves at say  cheaper than 550 for them to get a good price.

But at a really low price, the boards would need to cost higher than their Intel equivalent to bring up to par or at least lower to make them more enticing.

250+250=500 (CPU and Board AMD) compared to 550+180=730(CPU and Board Intel)

I'm assuming that SR is within a margin of +/- 2% of Broadwell in real world performance. Not factoring in clock for clock, TDP, or heat.

Skylake IPC increase over Broadwell was like 1-3%. 

7 minutes ago, Eroda said:

you had one job AMD 

also the faster you OC the more power efficient it is.  if we are being accurate as well

I was referring to how hot the SR-71 was when flying at supersonic speeds :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

So AMD is doubling down on the claim of 6900k performance for 300 bucks, apparently?

http://www.tomshardware.de/zen-summit-ridge-sr7-sr5-sr3,news-257364.html

"The first chip [...] will have 8 cores and 16 threads. AMD partner Maxsun released new Details.

The new chips will reportedly not only be able to keep up in terms of core- and thread-count, but also with the performance of Intel's high performance Core i7-6900k (for example in Cinebench) [...] the Chinese are confirming rumors that the price will be around 300 $.

[...]

Clocked at 3.15 GHz, with a 3.3 GHz turbo, the chip will supposedly be able to be easily overclocked to 4.2 GHz. With LN2 cooling, 5 GHz should be reachable (TN: is that really anything worthy of mention?).

Maxsum also gave a release-date: The chips are supposed to hit the shelves on the 17th of January 2017, a week after CES."

I don't buy it... I mean if it turns out to be true then I most certainly will, but they just have to exaggerating here.

If they don't deliver to these claims (assuming that whoever is putting this info out there isn't just pulling it out of their arse), people will be pissed, even if the chips still end up being really good.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

On 11/17/2016 at 6:10 AM, TheRandomness said:

So some people are bitching about the 3, 5 and 7 names, what about the R3/R5/R7 SSDs? R5/R7 GPUs? AMD has been using these numbers for quite a long time. Does no one realise that these are probably code names and they wouldn't name CPUs these? I mean, 5 different CPUs named SR5 would be stupid. 

Lets see i5 :6400,6500,6600,6600k

Its not stupid

On 11/17/2016 at 3:17 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm not so sure choosing 3/5/7 is good for them, or simplify things for consumers: It may simplify things if and only if they also imitate Intel in terms of what 3, 5, and 7 means, which I hope they don't. But if that's the case, then yes, at least it will be a little helpful. It won't change the fact that i3/i5/i7 is terrible anyway, as it has no link to the characteristics of the product whatsoever (other than assuming higher number = better) until you learn the mapping (they could be called iA/iB/iC all the same).

I prefer their existing FX scheme, where the first number is the number of cores, and try to improve it so that all of it conveys some quick information. I do think they did a good job with their GPUs, although you still need to get the code once to understand it.

Just think what if the SR7 chip  performs similar to an i5?

On 11/17/2016 at 7:07 AM, ARikozuM said:

Might as well make AMD explode...

If you put an amd processor inside a  Samsung  phone  it would be a  great  heater (and  would  blast)

5 hours ago, Urishima said:

So AMD is doubling down on the claim of 6900k performance for 300 bucks, apparently?

http://www.tomshardware.de/zen-summit-ridge-sr7-sr5-sr3,news-257364.html

"The first chip [...] will have 8 cores and 16 threads. AMD partner Maxsun released new Details.

The new chips will reportedly not only be able to keep up in terms of core- and thread-count, but also with the performance of Intel's high performance Core i7-6900k (for example in Cinebench) [...] the Chinese are confirming rumors that the price will be around 300 $.

[...]

Clocked at 3.15 GHz, with a 3.3 GHz turbo, the chip will supposedly be able to be easily overclocked to 4.2 GHz. With LN2 cooling, 5 GHz should be reachable (TN: is that really anything worthy of mention?).

Maxsum also gave a release-date: The chips are supposed to hit the shelves on the 17th of January 2017, a week after CES."

I don't buy it... I mean if it turns out to be true then I most certainly will, but they just have to exaggerating here.

If they don't deliver to these claims (assuming that whoever is putting this info out there isn't just pulling it out of their arse), people will be pissed, even if the chips still end up being really good.

Im gonna keep my hopes low on overclocking, but on the rest i think reality will be close to rumor

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 11/17/2016 at 7:43 AM, Dabombinable said:

GTX 480.....

Does anyone  remember  it?

On 11/17/2016 at 7:51 AM, Demonking said:

all of them sound like cars to non tech people. Yo man i'm getting the new SR7 this Christmas. Huh Chevy got a new model car out ? No i'm talking about the new Zen CPU. 

Why  not have sr9,sr7,sr5,sr3 

On 11/17/2016 at 8:13 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

Samsung should try car industry 

Agreed

3 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Im gonna keep my hopes low on overclocking, but on the rest i think reality will be close to rumor

Lets say AMD can give 80percent of perf.of a 6900k ...at$300 that is huge Price to perf also it would force  Intel to finally start  working and/or  drop their prices (Fyi  it would be like getting a 6850  for the price of a6600k)

17 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

i was referring to how the sr71 became more efficient the faster they flew due to the ramjet effect

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM, jman629 said:

Lol SR7, SR5, SR3...I7, i5, i3. Way to copy. Makes it easier for us consumers though. 

In before rx 1180ti ;)

1 hour ago, Scitesh said:

This is a good idea. AMD would be able to show what the best pairings are between their GPU's and CPU's.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

They put out some performance numbers for the A8-9600 "Bristol Ridge" socket AM4 APU, compared to the Intel Core i3-6100 "Skylake" processor. The A8-9600 was shown to be faster in most tests. So the SR7,SR5,SR3 must be way faster than an i3-6100

On ‎18‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 3:21 AM, Brian McKee said:

To people wondering about a Zen dual core, I'd be shocked if ANY processor from the Zen or APU lineup are dual cores.

most likely mobile ones , 2c4t or the low end (am1 replacements) chips

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On ‎18‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 2:28 PM, MMKing said:

Your local retail shop may have as many as 25 computers

local stores cash registers are still all Pentium 4 or some even Pentium 3 ,those things run forever and do the job just fine , in the future an AIO SOC systems will replace them ( think raspberry pi ) no need for desktop components in those usecases

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

local stores cash registers are still all Pentium 4 or some even Pentium 3 ,those things run forever and do the job just fine , in the future an AIO SOC systems will replace them ( think raspberry pi ) no need for desktop components in those usecases

I almost scored a register powered by a 386 from a local store recently (one of those cheap shops, that seem to go in and out of business all of the time). It was actually running OS/2 (which used to be found running in a lot of ATM-and while being completely stable for years on end as well).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

59 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I almost scored a register powered by a 386 from a local store recently (one of those cheap shops, that seem to go in and out of business all of the time). It was actually running OS/2 (which used to be found running in a lot of ATM-and while being completely stable for years on end as well).

Dang that would of been pretty awesome to mess with

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Dang that would of been pretty awesome to mess with

I mainly wanted it for OS/2, I've already got a 386 board that only has cosmetic damage, and still posts

PMSL

I  saw a  machine  with i7 920  for INR 6k ($80ish)  on local classifieds   only to find some one had  already  bought it :(

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

hubba bubba ! 

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I've already got a 386 board that only has cosmetic damage, and still posts

i have a 486 board (sadly ded) and a 486 DX4-100 (anyone want that :P ? ) 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

hubba bubba ! 

i have a 486 board (sadly ded) and a 486 DX4-100 (anyone want that :P ? ) 

I only need a working 486 VESA motherboard-I've got a TI DX4-100+stock cooler.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I only need a working 486 VESA motherboard-I've got a TI DX4-100+stock cooler.

shame , i think that board had a vesa bus , i havent tossed it yet so i can check 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

shame , i think that board had a vesa bus , i havent tossed it yet so i can check 

Let me guess, the barrel battery killed it? Because that's what happened to my soldered-on 486SX 25 and 286. And they are what damaged the 386's motherboard since it was the only one to have a battery pack instead of the optional barrel battery. And the VESA bus would mainly be for my Trident video card-I don't even know if its working, although my I/O card from the 386 is, trying to manage its 8 IR on my Intel SE440BX-2 was fun.....

PMSL

On November 21, 2016 at 0:53 AM, TheRandomness said:

So a chip that runs hot at speed?

And expands at speed :P

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Don't believe rumours surrounding AMD, half of them are planted to raise false expectations and make people disappointed when they see the reality, even if that reality would have been good enough without the fake hype. 

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

On 11/21/2016 at 11:22 AM, Scitesh said:

Lets see i5 :6400,6500,6600,6600k

Its not stupid

Except it is. What is i? iGPU? Whatever it is, what the hell is 5? Five what? Then 6, for 6th (5th? Are there relevant Mainstream 5XXX?) generation. Then 400, 500, 600, all meaningless, other than "higher, better". Then K for unlocked. One out of six is meaningful, the one denoting the generation. The rest is "higher is better, somehow".

On 11/21/2016 at 6:05 PM, Scitesh said:

Nah, Z4, Z6, Z8 all the way: i doubt they will iterate Zen 9 or 10 times, so: ZA-BCD it is:

A for cores

B for generation

C for gigahertz

Z6-135: Zen architecture, 6 cores, 1st iteration, 3.5GHz base clock

Z8-340: Zen architecture, 8 cores, 3rd iteration, 4.0GHz base clock

And even for people who don't know the code, "higher is better" still applies, even in a more systematic way.

Replace Z for something else (maybe A?) for APUs, i.e., when iGPU is present. Or add a "g" at the end. Done.

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Except it is. What is i? iGPU? Whatever it is, what the hell is 5? Five what? Then 6, for 6th (5th? Are there relevant Mainstream 5XXX?) generation. Then 400, 500, 600, all meaningless, other than "higher, better". Then K for unlocked. One out of six is meaningful, the one denoting the generation. The rest is "higher is better, somehow".

Nah, Z4, Z6, Z8 all the way: i doubt they will iterate Zen 9 or 10 times, so: ZA-BCD it is:

A for cores

B for generation

C for gigahertz

Z6-135: Zen architecture, 6 cores, 1st iteration, 3.5GHz base clock

Z8-340: Zen architecture, 8 cores, 3rd iteration, 4.0GHz base clock

And even for people who don't know the code, "higher is better" still applies, even in a more systematic way.

Replace Z for something else (maybe A?) for APUs, i.e., when iGPU is present. Or add a "g" at the end. Done.

I  guess  they should go with a3 (for apus)  And yes I  have  seen people fall for higher its better  cliche and  then SR5,7,9  so SR  does have some meaning  also I guess i5 stands for  market standpoint/target  consumers

3)  budget aka price

5) consumer aka price/perf

7)  prosumer aka  performance

They also have unwritten

1) Pentium (ultra  budget)

9)(high end)Xeons

Also the  odd no's  only has a psychological effect that drives the thought of much greater  performance

(Look at the product stack of any  company)

Say

I5 6400

I6 6600k

And

I7 6700k

Suddenly the psychological difference  between 6600k  and 6700k  seems diminished 

Welcome to the world of marketing