New MacBook Pro outsold every competing laptop in just five days – Slice Intelligence

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I approve of this message.

xD

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

6 hours ago, iTzPrime said:

I actually buy Macbook Pros to save me money.

Well WTF you might ask? Well I use Logic X most of the time and a mixture of Final Cut and Adobe Premiere. 

On windows, the only alternative that comes close to Logic X (IMO) is ProTools (it is better than Logic X), and on the video side it is the Avid Media Composer. Adobe Premiere doesnt cut it alone to replace Avid Media Composer, but compared with Final Cut i come pretty close. 200$ and 300$ license vs 900$ and 1400$ licenses. i dont mind the 300$ that people say the Apples are overpriced (i need Adobe CC anyway for PS, Lighroom and Illustrator, so i don't accounted that ino the price, cause i would take that even with the Avid solutions).

That is the point most people are missing why Apple's hardware is cheaper in the long term if you're trying to use the least number of Avid/Adobe product lock-in hell, the Apple tax of OS+software support is voting with your wallet.  A large number of Mac users also own PCs/use Boot Camp to use Windows-only Corel software or gaming too. I haven't gamed on a Mac since Civilization 4.

From 2003 to now, I've saved $90,000 by using a Mac over Windows--never had extended downtime from a botched Windows Update, avoiding the post-Adobe Creative Cloud transition, avoiding Pro Tools/upgrade treadmill, etc.

I'm sure there is also a crowd of LTT members who hate people like myself who pay for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation & Server and Oracle Solaris "Support Contracts"--both are just as important as Apple for maintaining a 99.9% uptime B|  (I don't use Windows for mission critical tasks, I once had a Solaris database server running 5yrs without a reboot until the OS was EOL, it was a sad day since it was Sun Microsystems-era Solaris install before the Oracle rebranding)

Among laptops, the MacBook line is among the best balanced out there. Solid middling performance, excellent battery and build quality, not to mention weight and display. While one would be quite dumb to buy one solely for intensive tasks (you've a desktop for that, right?) it can certainly make do in a pinch. With the Radeon GPU, the MacBook can even take on gaming with some degree of competency. 

While a MacBook wouldn't ever replace my desktop, if I was away from home and felt the itch for some gaming, a MacBook would do well enough until I returned, and certainly better than most Windows laptops sold.

The Pro moniker, however, should die already. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, Chasem121 said:

Apple fans still have no concept of what makes a good computer.

More news at 5.

I was a Windows user for over 20 years before switching over to the Apple ecosystem out of sheer frustration, and I haven't looked back since. I would say I have a pretty good concept of what makes a good computer for me

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Among laptops, the MacBook line is among the best balanced out there. Solid middling performance, excellent battery and build quality, not to mention weight and display. While one would be quite dumb to buy one solely for intensive tasks (you've a desktop for that, right?) it can certainly make do in a pinch. With the Radeon GPU, the MacBook can even take on gaming with some degree of competency. 

While a MacBook wouldn't ever replace my desktop, if I was away from home and felt the itch for some gaming, a MacBook would do well enough until I returned, and certainly better than most Windows laptops sold.

There seems to be a lot of people who don't quite get this.  There are people here who don't understand at all that some of us (the ones who are not iSheeps) choose to buy a MacBook because we want a portable computer that's our away-from-powerful-desktop tool.  And MacBooks are among the sleekest, thinnest, lightest laptops out there.  Were there any really thin ultraportables before the MacBook Air?  Some people here say go buy a Lenovo, Dell or HP workstation if you want a workstation... but a lot of those machines are thicker, heavier and defeats the purpose of buying a lightweight portable laptop.  Not to mention that those non-Apple workstations have just about the same capabilities as a MBP, and they out perform a MBP only when they're sitting on a desk at home/office connected to all the extra peripherals that are not portable.  For example, I don't see the point in buying a HP Zbook or Dell Precision workstation with a Quadro GPU when the screen on the laptop itself is not 10-bit with 100% AdobeRGB gamut.  If I want a machine with a Quadro GPU, I have my desktop connected to a true 10-bit monitor.  Not to mention those workstations themselves can cost almost as much as a MBP if not more.

And some people prefer using OSX over Windows, so until there are non-Apple laptops that can natively support OSX (I don't mean hackintoshs) the laptops from Apple are our only options.

9 hours ago, abazigal said:

I was a Windows user for over 20 years before switching over to the Apple ecosystem out of sheer frustration, and I haven't looked back since. I would say I have a pretty good concept of what makes a good computer for me

I'm pretty much the same here.  Now if I ever need Windows when I'm away from my desktop, I either use VMs or take remote control of the desktop through my MBP.  I don't really see much point in buying Windows based laptops that are almost un-upgradeable if they're as thin as a MacBook and if they are upgradeable they are also usually bigger and heavier when I have a desktop that's custom built and easier to upgrade when more horsepower is needed.  The MBP is my portable workstation that lets me do some work away from the desktop.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

26 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

There seems to be a lot of people who don't quite get this.  There are people here who don't understand at all that some of us (the ones who are not iSheeps) choose to buy a MacBook because we want a portable computer that's our away-from-powerful-desktop tool.  And MacBooks are among the sleekest, thinnest, lightest laptops out there

I get your point. Same goes when you buy an iPhone. People will call you and iSheep. But the thing is I don't want carrier crapware, delayed software updates and constant lag and stutter on a phone. When Apple advertises 10 hours battery life, it gets to 10 hours or more. Promises of long battery life on Windows laptops are depressing. Just look at the Surface Book i7 which claims 16 hours of battery life but when tested, it only lasted 11 hours. To be fair, 11 hours is a very good battery life but Microsoft shouldn't falsely advertise just to get people to buy it. It makes me think that Windows 10 has so much stuff running in the background that most laptops running it have crappy battery life.

Also, I rarely had the problem of burning palm rests on my old MacBook Air 2011. With those crappy Windows laptops I used during college, I can't put my laptop on my thighs to type for long or else it gets hot. That's why I'm not convinced with the LTT video below because he's more likely using a laptop with unoptimzed hardware and software.

Besides, which laptop is more likely to have a higher resale value after a year and a half? A Dell XPS 13 or a MacBook Pro 13"? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm not convinced with the LTT video

I don't agree with a lot of LTT stuff [period]. :)

They produce videos that are informative and teaches some things to people, but not everyone is IT oriented that they will understand what LTT is saying is only the beginning or basics or generic.

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Besides, which laptop is more likely to have a higher resale value after a year and a half? A Dell XPS 13 or a MacBook Pro 13"? 

Yep, and we understand that Apple (like any other company) does not make perfect products.  But compared to many competitors they do make reasonably good products.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

12 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

There's a big problem with these 2 videos.  Not all 4K footage from different cameras are made equal.  A 4K video from a camera like a GoPro is going to be completely different from a 4K ProRes or CinemaDNG RAW file(s) from a camera like a BlackMagic cinema cameras.  File sizes and bit rates are going to be completely different and while an ultraportable might be able to handle GoPro 4K footage, it will have serious trouble with 4K ProRes, DNxHR, CinemaDNG RAW files.

And that first video on 4K with an ultrabook... at the 1:03 mark when he screams "This is LTT", wow f**king annoying audio distortion because it peaked so much during recording...

Being a tech, I find there is a huge difference between Mac and PC users. PC users tend to purchase and machine that fits their needs and and personality. Much more customizable for the user. Mac users just but a Mac regardless of use. Almost every college student I see has one, and uses it for email and FB. They upgrade because it's uncool to have the older MacBook Pro. It's all based on Generation. Just like Phones. Marketing pushes the consumer to desire the newer product regardless of any practical reason.

Great for Apple,  garbage for the consumers. For anyone skeptical of Apple pricing,  a 200 dollar pair of Beats by Dre that gets sold by Apple,  I can purchase for ~90 bucks.  I get charged 5% store cost...... Great job Apple. Another brand for the mindless drones.

RIP Steve Jobs.

tmp_26347-867cb018c4011c88ac392cab4a2b9dc15b7f175d97ab83df3251d53d83fd2f48695846409.jpg

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Being a tech, I find there is a huge difference between Mac and PC users. PC users tend to purchase and machine that fits their needs and and personality. Much more customizable for the user. Mac users just but a Mac regardless of use. Almost every college student I see has one, and uses it for email and FB. They upgrade because it's uncool to have the older MacBook Pro. It's all based on Generation. Just like Phones. Marketing pushes the consumer to desire the newer product regardless of any practical reason.

Great for Apple,  garbage for the consumers. For anyone skeptical of Apple pricing,  a 200 dollar pair of Beats by Dre that gets sold by Apple,  I can purchase for ~90 bucks.  I get charged 5% store cost...... Great job Apple. Another brand for the mindless drones.

RIP Steve Jobs.

tmp_26347-867cb018c4011c88ac392cab4a2b9dc15b7f175d97ab83df3251d53d83fd2f48695846409.jpg

Wait what? Most people who are not techies, just buy pc without even looking at any specs. With Apple you know that you get a product that has a certain quality, so a lot of non tech oriented people buy these.

And tech people buy what they need. I need a Macbook, because i save thousands of dollars not having the need to purchase avid products (logic, finalcut, premiere and reaper much cheaper). Also i like programming much more on a Macbook, because of the Command Line.

You are generalising way too much. Sure Beats are overpriced, but they are certainly the headphones that look the best, and if you listen to pop, edm or hip hop, they are not that bad. Sure compared to other headphone companys like Sennheißer, AKG they sound much worse.

I really dislike the misconception most techies have about "normal" people. They dont care if something has the best specs or is better than something else. They enjoy the whole experience. Meaning look, usability and price.

Beats are not good, but they look awesome and you know what you get. the same applies to Macbooks. They might not have the best specs or have the best price-performance ratio, but they give you a certain package and even non-techies know what they get for it. And a huge amount of people dont game on their pc or laptop. A lot game on their smartphones or on their console. 

On 11/12/2016 at 1:37 AM, Mark77 said:

Very few people actually buy laptops for their graphics processing prowess. 

And the Apple notebooks should be compared to Dell's business class machines, not the XPS. 

With no SD card reader, or any usable port at all, this Macbook doesn't compare great :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 11/12/2016 at 7:23 AM, hey_yo_ said:

4. Customer Care Service 

Do other OEMs provide extended warranty coverage like AppleCare Protection Plan that provides global repair coverage and extended warranty up to three years?

LOL, that's a joke right? You haven'r watched any of Louis Rossmans video's have you? They have terrible customer care/

Yours faithfully

13 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

LOL, that's a joke right? You haven'r watched any of Louis Rossmans video's have you? They have terrible customer care/

No. They actually have excellent customer service. If you pay for the three year warranty it will cover everything other than accidental damage (like all other warranties), but unlike most other companies, Apple's customer support speaks english and is quick and easy to deal with. If you don't pay for the extended three year warranty, then you just get that service for the first year. And then after your warranty period, you can still get great customer support, you just have to pay for it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

No. They actually have excellent customer service. If you pay for the three year warranty it will cover everything other than accidental damage (like all other warranties), but unlike most other companies, Apple's customer support speaks english and is quick and easy to deal with. If you don't pay for the extended three year warranty, then you just get that service for the first year. And then after your warranty period, you can still get great customer support, you just have to pay for it. 

In some places, Apple warranty by default is 2 years.  Not just 1, as they also have to conform to local laws.  At first I thought it was 1 year where I live, but when I had to replace the damaged screen on my MBP a few months after the first year of owning it, they replaced it for free.  The replacement would've cost me $800 otherwise.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

In the EU we get mandatory 2 year warranties for that kinda thing, and the care being in Europe has be very multi national (French, English and German to name just a few) Unfortunately they begrudge the law and basically blame it all on the user, so while legally they have to, they really do make you buy that piece of shit guarantee that the thing will break in 3 years, don't support that kinda fuckery guys. 

Yours faithfully

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:23 AM, hey_yo_ said:

4. Customer Care Service 

Do other OEMs provide extended warranty coverage like AppleCare Protection Plan that provides global repair coverage and extended warranty up to three years?

Dell certainly does with the business 3-year warranties on the Latitude laptops.  Additionally, 'Completecare' takes care of literally everything except the battery -- drop your Dell in a pool or accidentially drop it on concrete and break it, and Dell will ship you a new one.   Pretty sure AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

51 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Dell certainly does with the business 3-year warranties on the Latitude laptops.  Additionally, 'Completecare' takes care of literally everything except the battery -- drop your Dell in a pool or accidentially drop it on concrete and break it, and Dell will ship you a new one.   Pretty sure AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

Except the screen, because they are fragile and slippery phones.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Mark77 said:

I dunno, Apple replaced the screen on my MBP for free and I damaged it by dropping it onto the tiled floor of my hotel room one night.

4 hours ago, Mark77 said:

Does Dell provide global coverage? AppleCare does though. Besides, which feels more premium? A flimsy Dell XPS 13 because of polycarbonate plastic or the rigid and sturdy MacBook Pro because of anodized unibody Aluminum enclosure?

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Does Dell provide global coverage? AppleCare does though. Besides, which feels more premium? A flimsy Dell XPS 13 because of polycarbonate plastic or the rigid and sturdy MacBook Pro because of anodized unibody Aluminum enclosure?

Which feels more premium giant bezels or a beautiful bezel-less display? There are pros/cons to both. 

I personally do prefer the aluminum body. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 11/12/2016 at 1:49 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

It's a mobile workstation (the 15 inch with the dGPU).  A mobile workstation doesn't need to have the power of a desktop, it's meant for people who are more often away from their home/office desktop or because they are more on the road cannot afford to have a powerful desktop.

I think you misunderstand what the Macbook Pro is. It is by no means a mobile workstation, that's taken up by the multi-thousand dollar Thinkpads. Mobile workstations are meant to totally replace powerful desktop computers. Macbooks just aren't powerful enough. My laptop has more raw horsepower than the best Macbook Pro (not saying it's better though, totally different class of laptop.)

Also, mobile workstations should have more than 2 USB ports.

On 11/12/2016 at 1:23 AM, hey_yo_ said:

With the few exceptions like the new Dell XPS 13 and the new Surface Book i7, Windows laptops can't match MacBook battery life. More often than not, you have to pay more for a extra premium Windows laptop just to get close to what Apple had for years.

I disagree. My girlfriend's Macbook Pro 2014 can barely Skype for 2 1/2 hours before it's about to die. My Inspiron 15 7559 gets about that much, and it's a gaming laptop. If I'm just watching YouTube, this thing will go for hours (as long as I pay attention to the brightness, keyboard lighting ect.)

I used to be quite active here.

19 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I disagree. My girlfriend's Macbook Pro 2014 can barely Skype for 2 1/2 hours before it's about to die. My Inspiron 15 7559 gets about that much, and it's a gaming laptop. If I'm just watching YouTube, this thing will go for hours (as long as I pay attention to the brightness, keyboard lighting ect.)

Either you're lying or your girlfriend has a crappy defective unit. Try harder. 

27 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I agree with @hey_yo_, something must be going on there. My 2013 rMBP with a trashed battery (with 1900 cycles on a battery rated for 1000 cycles) gets more than that even now, let alone when it was new/getting 100% capacity. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I think you misunderstand what the Macbook Pro is. It is by no means a mobile workstation,

For the stuff I do on it, the 15" MBP I own is a mobile workstation for me.  Also, the 2016 version comes with a workstation GPU, not a consumer gaming GPU like previous models.

And no, I wouldn't consider mobile workstations to be true replacements for desktops.  A powerful mobile workstation might have the horsepower of a desktop workstation that costs 2/3 of the price, but if we look at price matching on a 1:1, a desktop workstation that costs as much as the mobile workstation will have more horsepower.

It's analogous to how a (for the sake of argument) how a GTX 980 desktop is more powerful than a GTX 980m mobile version.

I've looked at all the mobile workstations from Lenovo, Dell and HP.  While you can opt to buy them with workstation GPUs (Quadro and FirePro/Radeon Pro), the screen on the laptops are not that much better than the screen on a MBP.  Similar sRGB and AdobeRGB gamut coverage with small differences.  And the prices of those workstations are similar to the MBP when you configure them to have similar specs.  The Lenovo is a bit cheaper, but the ones from Dell and HP are the same if not more expensive than the MBP.

By the way, I only consider the 15" MBP with a dGPU to be workstations, MBPs without a dGPU I consider them productivity machines.

35 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

My girlfriend's Macbook Pro 2014 can barely Skype for 2 1/2 hours before it's about to die.

This is either a bit of an exaggeration or she is doing other things at the same time as she uses Skype.  I've managed to work with Adobe Premiere on my older 15" MBP 2012 (first generation rMBP, I currently use a 2015 model) with the power cable unplugged for at least 3 hours.  The 2015 model I use now has a slightly improved battery life with a similar work load.

46 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Also, mobile workstations should have more than 2 USB ports.

Also why should it have more than 2 USB ports?  It's a mobile rig for someone who needs to do some work when he/she is away from home/office where their powerful desktop is left behind.

I'm not going to be sitting in my hotel room, restaurant, tent, jeep with external monitors, keyboards, speakers, external drives, etc. plugged in.  At most I'll have just one portable external drive for backing up data and perhaps my phone.

The MBPs have minimum 4 ports, it used to be 2x USB and 2x Thunderbolt and in the 2016 version it's now 4x Thunderbolt 3/USB-C.  OK the HDMI, SD card reader and power adapter ports are gone... but if it's a machine that's meant to be portable and used on the road, you'd gotta be silly to want to connect so many extra devices that you need those ports.

And when you arrive back at your home or office, there is actually a sort of docking station you can have every other external device connected that you can plug to the MBP.  I have the Belkin Thunderbolt dock at home.

belkin-thunderbolt-express-dock-10024713

Of course, you or anyone else is free to choose to buy a mobile workstation from Lenovo, Dell, HP and any other brand if their laptops meet your requirements.  For me, the rMBP from Apple is the perfect portable workstation.