New MacBook Pro outsold every competing laptop in just five days – Slice Intelligence

On 11/12/2016 at 3:37 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

thats ok I won't try to teach you something you won't understand.

The question is, are MacBooks actually overpriced when you consider the hardware they include, not only specs but also materials used, such as the amazing track pad and screen?

I understand the performance per dollar argument that comes with PC vs. Mac, but it feels somewhat like comparing apples and oranges, or a Ford Focus RS (Fast, cheap) vs a Lexus (not very fast, but very comfortable and luxurious in comparison). 

8 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

The question is, are MacBooks actually overpriced when you consider the hardware they include, not only specs but also materials used, such as the amazing track pad and screen?

The 13" Base model, no (it's priced around the XPS 13).

The 13" OLED model, it depends how much you value the touch bar (but it's basically $300 for the touch bar).

The 15"? It depends how much you value the touch bar, but it's $2400~ for the Mac vs. $1850 for the XPS 15. 

Although, recent reports show the battery life lacking on the OLED models, which imo really hurts the value of them relative to the competition.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The 13" Base model, no (it's priced around the XPS 13).

The 13" OLED model, it depends how much you value the touch bar (but it's basically $300 for the touch bar).

The 15"? It depends how much you value the touch bar, but it's $2400~ for the Mac vs. $1850 for the XPS 15. 

Are there other laptops with OLED screens?

Just now, OptimisticRealist said:

Are there other laptops with OLED screens?

the touchbar, not the screen. (although the 2016 MBPs have one of the best laptop screens available)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

the touchbar, not the screen. (although the 2016 MBPs have one of the best laptop screens available)

Well, personally I would not get a Mac. It is very expensive and I just prefer Windows 10. I would never change my iphone. It is actually getting sluggish now, 6+. 

However, my dad is a Mac freak and he bought a crazy one a few years back, with 1tb SSD memory. However, the battery is sort of broken now and needs a repair of $400! It shuts off when it reaches 40%...He will get a new one and give that one to me, I'll probably use it to learn Swift and such.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:02 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

So aside from buying Apple hardware, how should anyone who prefers using OSX get access to OSX?

They shouldn't. They should learn to now bitch and just use Linux or Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 2016-11-14 at 1:59 PM, Master Disaster said:

4B) Funnily enough, for a similar price as the MBP you can get the Dell XPS 15 which comes with an I7 6700HQ (4C/8T), 32GB RAM, a 512GB NVMe SSD, a GTX960m 4GB and a 4K Display.

4C) Even looking at Workstation laptops, the Dell Precision 15 5510 comes with an Intel I5 6300HQ (4C/8T), 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD and a Quadro M1000M 2GB GPU. On top it comes with 2 USB3, 1 USB3.1 Type C, an SD card Reader, WiFi, Bluetooth and a TPM and its still cheaper than the MBP. Oh, and they also chuck in a USB Type C to Ethernet adapter, FOR FREE!

My point is very simple, Apple are con artists committing legal robbery every time they sell a machine. The mark up they put on things is so far off its genuinely laughable. When you can save 200% off the price of an "upgrade" simply by buying it yourself its time to start asking questions about the companies ethical standards. They practice planned obsolescence on an astronomical scale, in fact something you say is a positive is far from it. Their control over hardware and software means they can flat out not support something simply because they choose not to and its very anti consumer.

The fact people know someone does something has no bearing on whether said thing is the right thing, ethical or even legal.

There are definitely points where you get more value in competing systems, but you're still making some classic mistakes: assuming that just a few things determine the sum total of whether or not a PC is worth the money.

Let's look at that XPS 15, for example.  Yeah, it's great that you get 32GB of RAM, a larger SSD, dedicated graphics and a 4K display.  For some people it will be the better choice.  But how long does it last on battery, for example?  Engadget says 5h25 for a video test, which is terrible next to the 10-11h the new MacBook Pros get.  How fast is the XPS' SSD?  Half as fast.  Is the display accurate to digital cinema levels, and can it drive two 5K displays?  Nope.  Does it have a fingerprint reader?  No.

And then there's the things surrounding the computer itself.  Can you take it into a first-party store and get it fixed with nothing more than the basic warranty?  When you call phone support, are they based in your part of the world, and will they do more than just read from a script?  You see what I'm getting at.  Again, systems like that XPS 15 do have other advantages, but you're not just buying a few chips with a screen and a battery attached, you're buying a whole platform.