Samsung Galaxy Note 7 to not work with New Zealand Carriers

New Zealand mobile providers will be blacklisting Samsung Galaxy Note 7's on the 18th of November, two weeks from now. New Zealand mobile providers will be using the same method what mobile providers use if a phone is stolen. You can still use the internet via wireless but not mobile data and still use apps that can work offline.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/86104440/samsung-galaxy-note-7s-bricked-by-nz-telcos

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

I fell sorry for all three people in NZ who bought one

Same

I bet someone will come up with a hack/mod to spoof the MEID/ESN/IMEI so Note 7's could still be used. The hack already exists for rooted Notes, just not the 7, yet. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

I'm shocked that this news surprises people. The phone has been recalled because it's a hazard to your health!
If you're still using one, you're an idiot.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I bet someone will come up with a hack/mod to spoof the MEID/ESN/IMEI so Note 7's could still be used. The hack already exists for rooted Notes, just not the 7, yet. 

Sure. But thats a federal crime. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Sure. But thats a federal crime. 

...and you think that will stop people?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Much as I absolutely love the Note 7 it's not worth the risk, give it back to Samsung!

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

...and you think that will stop people?

The average note 7 owner? Yes. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

The average note 7 owner? Yes. 

I don't think so. I think the people willing to keep a bomb in their pockets are also willing to break a law that probably no one will even know about. :P

As there isn't much in the way of laws in regards to possession of safety recalled goods and devices, this route of enforcement was to be expected. There will probably be some outliers that will spoof IMEI, but they should be few and far in between enough that the risk of conflagration should be very minimal. 

Obviously, devices that are received back are blacklisted anyway. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Much as I absolutely love the Note 7 it's not worth the risk, give it back to Samsung!

I agree

10 hours ago, Eiberg10 said:

Same

I don't.  I didn't realize anyone still had one.  Insane...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I fell sorry for all three people in NZ who bought one

11 hours ago, Eiberg10 said:

Same

why just get a full refund

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Somebody in my year group in school still has one............

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What idiot still owns a Note 7, after all that's been said and done about it?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

On 11/5/2016 at 4:55 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

A lot of retailers in NZ are terribly slow with approving returns and handling recalls. Often small retailers continue to sell recalled appliances as they were not notified of the recall themselves, and as they do not keep lists of their customers they cannot track down who they would have sold them to.

A large number of NZ purchases are through the mail, and mailing back the Note 7 would likely not be permitted by the courier companies. Returning them for a refund could be very challenging for some, and most stores would require the device be returned before going through the authorisation process.

If they can disable the phone based on its model, then I certainly hope that they can and have sent notifications to the owners of Note 7's, as there are still people who have not heard about the recalls.

According to Android Central, 85% of Galaxy Note 7s in the US have been returned. There are still people who own the phone out there in the wild.

I hope they realize they're carrying around a time bomb with them that they can't take on the train, on the plane, or into a lot of establishments now, and do the right thing instead of carrying around the damn thing.

Samsung should have just kept the naming convention of calling it the Note 6 so that the Note 7 would have been the savior. Nope, let's pull a Microsoft, skip a number generation and let's add the fun of "will it explode" ?

I Know someone who still has the Note 7 because 2 Degrees ( NZ Mobile Network Provider) doesnt have any IPhone 7's etc and they said he has to wait till December till they get more stock and he said doesn't the phone explode and they said no its fine.

3 hours ago, Daring said:

According to Android Central, 85% of Galaxy Note 7s in the US have been returned. There are still people who own the phone out there in the wild.

I hope they realize they're carrying around a time bomb with them that they can't take on the train, on the plane, or into a lot of establishments now, and do the right thing instead of carrying around the damn thing.

Considering Samsung still haven't yet refunded my brother's phone, I won't be surprised if some are more or less still trying to return them.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Considering Samsung still haven't yet refunded my brother's phone, I won't be surprised if some are more or less still trying to return them.

If it was that mutch of a risk they would of done alot more, like what percentage of the Note 7's actually exploded

3 minutes ago, Lil_Vinnie said:

If it was that mutch of a risk they would of done alot more, like what percentage of the Note 7's actually exploded

We can't use the "percentage of exploded note 7" to assume it is safer, since Samsung themselves don't know why it explodes, as such we can't extrapolate (who knows, they may get more likely to explode overtime).

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide