Where do we realistically see VR Heading?

Okay so, as the title says; I'm interested in seeing what everyone thinks of VR and where it is realistically going? Due to the fact I plan on buying a Vide next year (Or atleast, I'm thinking about it) I was talking to my friend on Teamspeak about it and it seems we're both worried it'll do what the original Kinect for the Xbox did. It'll be around for a while, it'll be in a few games but ultimately it'll die out due to either a lack of games or a lack of interest. Personally I'm scared that it'll die out in the future due to a lack of huge games which support it (I know there's a fair few, but I've not really seen any huge titles announcing support for VR) 

What do you all think? What do you realistically think is going to happen with VR? Will it take off, or will it be another failed technology? 

Current Build 'Black Ice'

NZXT H200I | Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming | Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G | 16GB Corsair LPX 2400 | Samsung 970 Pro 500GB NVME M.2 | x2 2TB WD Blue | Intel 545s 500GB | 550w Corsair RMx

1 minute ago, ZakeyKyle said:

Okay so, as the title says; I'm interested in seeing what everyone thinks of VR and where it is realistically going? Due to the fact I plan on buying a Vide next year (Or atleast, I'm thinking about it) I was talking to my friend on Teamspeak about it and it seems we're both worried it'll do what the original Kinect for the Xbox did. It'll be around for a while, it'll be in a few games but ultimately it'll die out due to either a lack of games or a lack of interest. Personally I'm scared that it'll die out in the future due to a lack of huge games which support it (I know there's a fair few, but I've not really seen any huge titles announcing support for VR) 

What do you all think? What do you realistically think is going to happen with VR? Will it take off, or will it be another failed technology? 

I still plan to get a VIVE for myself for Christmas so i am still interested in it. 

Just now, Unexas. said:

I still plan to get a VIVE for myself for Christmas so i am still interested in it. 

The only two games I'm really interested and I know have VR support are War Thunder and Elite Dangerous, I've not really seen any others that peak my interest unfortunately. 

NZXT H200I | Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming | Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G | 16GB Corsair LPX 2400 | Samsung 970 Pro 500GB NVME M.2 | x2 2TB WD Blue | Intel 545s 500GB | 550w Corsair RMx

Just now, Name Taken said:

All the headsets out now are first-gen products so I'm willing to wait until 3rd or 4th gen before considering.

I did look at the OSVR however I'm still unsure since they're all so expensive. Haven't Microsoft got one coming out? 

I'll never be using vr because I don't like having anything on my head while using a computer or doing anything.

Unless I get one of those spherical screens where you stand in the middle, no vr for me.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I am waiting for a few more generations of products. I want them to refine the experience rather then pay $600 for a very early product that is not as refined as it will be in the future. I feel that many prospective buys are doing this, they are on the edge, not willing to drop the buy in for vr now but are willing to wait it out and see what the future holds for the market.

I think the future of VR depends on how it does on the console market. Right now, VR is basically stuck on both extremes of the spectrum. You have the extremely limited mobile experience with the Samsung Gear VR, and then you have the super-high end, immersive experience with the Rift and the Vive. It has yet to find that real sweet spot between accessibility and quality IMO, and so hasn't gotten much mainstream traction. But if the Playstation VR and/or whatever Microsoft's got cooking do well, then I think we'll see VR start to really take off. Of course, by that same token, if Console VR flops, then I'd say VR is basically dead for the foreseeable future.

TL;DR - VR is a very niche thing right now and for it to have a viable future, it needs to go mainstream. And it's best chance to do that is in the console market.

Stepping away from gaming a little. I would think that vr will certainly be worked into the armed forces as training and if it becomes more ubiquitous, we may see an America's army esq vr game coming from the army. In addition for treating conditions from ptsd to certain manifestations of dementia vr has been slowly working its way into the medical field. Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if museums began to incorporate vr experiences or putting the gallery itself online so that people can visit who can't get out to the actual thing.

well thats up to the manufactorers. if they push the prizes down enough VR has a very good chance of becoming very popular (at least in my opinion). but if they get caught in more new features which probably wont work in many games they will probably go down the kinect route. you just cant sell those for 400+$ over a long period of time. people wont spend that kind of money on what is effectively a toy.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I tried it and liked it. However it is too expensive considering it lacks one essential feature.

Being able to play ANY non VR game just for the 3D effect.

Because right now there is very few VR games and just fraction of them are actually worth paying and playing.

The various categories probably need to be considered separately:

1, room scale (Vive) will probably remain a higher end niche due to the space requirements, but to me this is the best potential for VR.

2, extended gaming (current Rift, PSVR, Vive) - this is more an extension of conventional gaming and will probably have the stronger mainstream growth in short term

3, mobile (Gear VR) - too gimmicky, will probably hang around for some uses

Now the categories aren't fixed and in future the lines between them will be more blurred. Google's Daydream View would kind sit between 3 and 2 above. Rift once they get the extra controllers may creep towards 1.

Software growth is a concern. I have a Vive and the total I spent on additional VR software is comparable to a single Humble Bundle. Without funding, where will the dedicated content come from? So dedicated VR will remain niche (maybe some business or other uses), whereas VR as an extension to gaming will be relatively lower cost and could maintain more traction.

I see AR as a separate tool although longer term AR and VR will also blur between them.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Where do we realistically see VR Heading?

For home use? It will lead no where. Early adopters will enjoy spending their money on over priced crap.

I think its better suited for industry, like medical. Learning tools for surgeons and MD's, dentists, engineers and technical field people for the oil patch.

Agree with the position that VR will be more niche than mainstream until the technology is both cheaper and much more advanced.  Speaking of interface systems that directly connect to the brain rather than through a headset.  There are already in existence control systems that use brain function over physical controls.  Take that to the next step of direct manipulation of visual and sensory centers of the brain.  This would be called Lucid Gaming, much like lucid dreaming, rather than VR. And such tech could be applied to a whole lot more than just gaming. 

9 hours ago, ZakeyKyle said:

Well, the good news is that you've identified one of the recursive problems that occur in real life: People don't buy products unless their is a lot of use for them, and companies don't make products unless people buy them, and there is no use for a product that companies don't make. As you can see, it's a pretty hard problem, the solution, however, is easy: If you want fun VR games, buy good VR equipment, buy fun VR games, vocalize your opinion. If VR is where the money is at, then that's where businesses will go.

Now, to answer the actual question, I see VR as rather useless for anything but a few niche industry applications and lot's of gaming applications. However, Augmented Reality would be very useful, in all fields. Infact, the military has already heavily invested into AR technologies and is producing AR systems that will/are seeing combat.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I believe we all keep saying "I'll buy one when they're standard market peripherals", considering right now they are premium expansions with little to no support in the game industry.

However, this is interesting, because if we all think this way, then the sales will never rise, thus the price will never lower, then it won't be an affordable gadget; at least not until VR technology is cheap enough to be sold at a competitive price (~200-250 $).

Believe this is similar to automobiles in that first they were awkward and very expensive, but then when Ford massed produced them the price went down. 

23 hours ago, ZakeyKyle said:

The only two games I'm really interested and I know have VR support are War Thunder and Elite Dangerous, I've not really seen any others that peak my interest unfortunately. 

Look at Onward, my favorite game by far on the Vive :)

I think it's going to be a thing I still use my Vive everyday and now that Microsoft is getting into it I believe it's here to stay.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

"Remember 3D TVs? Pepperidge Farm remembers." :P

That's my thought on the future of consumer VR. Scientific applications could see a huge benefit if adopted. I don't see, however, a bright future for in-home use seeing the high pricing and lack of quality games/applications that take advantage of the hardware. 

I see it on par with 3D TVs and the 3D feature in the 3DS most people disable.  It's a neat idea and virtual reality has some nifty uses for people who are unable to get out--but it will always strike me as too niche to go beyond enthusiasts into the mainstream.