Calyos Fanless Workstation

6 hours ago, onefourseven said:

@LinusTechTips - HFC 245A (Pentafluoropropane, the refrigerant used herein) is part of a a group of chemicals known as HFCs. These are derivatives of CFCs which, having been used in fridges for several years before being banned, caused the Ozone layer holes on both the North and South poles.

HFCs are potent greenhouse gasses, trapping 2000 times the heat trapped by CO2.

Earlier this month, world leaders announced a deal (Kigali amendment to the Montreal Protocol) to end the production and use of HFCs in the coming years.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/nations-sign-major-deal-curb-warming-chemicals-used-air-conditioning

this could be quite a blow to Calyos and their costumers, however in the article they are talking about consumption usage of the HFCs, which is the area with the biggest risk of leaking.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Maybe theyll just move to another coolant like ether or ammoniawater.

20 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I like the thermal coupling. They solved the nomber one problem of my designs. However with 13 million to spend on R&D I expect a better solution. But usage of highly dangerous fluid is a bummer.

But the tesing methology is Linus is just meh. Don't show me the usage of the GPU, the percentage of the TDP is important. I can have 60% TDP to 100% with the same GPU usage (100%). And as mentioned an amateur failure with the thermal camera.

And no information about the ambint temperature.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

49 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

I like the thermal coupling. They solved the nomber one problem of my designs. However with 13 million to spend on R&D I expect a better solution. But usage of highly dangerous fluid is a bummer.

But the tesing methology is Linus is just meh. Don't show me the usage of the GPU, the percentage of the TDP is important. I can have 60% TDP to 100% with the same GPU usage (100%). And as mentioned an amateur failure with the thermal camera.

yeah, hopefully it should be better when they had about $12,999,000.00 than you had for r and d.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

This seems like a pretty shitty concept.  Their solution is heavy as hell, basically hardline with no flexibility for upgrading or moving stuff around in a datacenter, and if shit breaks it's once again (proprietary) hardline so have fun with that.  And it's still dumping heat in whatever room its in so you're going to be running your HVAC more to deal with it which = noise.  

Take a D5 pump, put it in a sound isolating enclosure, get 50 feet of tubing, put your radiator and fans in another room or outside, and hey oh you exceeded the performance of this science project for less cost.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

19 hours ago, onefourseven said:

@LinusTechTips - HFC 245A (Pentafluoropropane, the refrigerant used herein) is part of a a group of chemicals known as HFCs. These are derivatives of CFCs which, having been used in fridges for several years before being banned, caused the Ozone layer holes on both the North and South poles.

HFCs are potent greenhouse gasses, trapping 2000 times the heat trapped by CO2.

Earlier this month, world leaders announced a deal (Kigali amendment to the Montreal Protocol) to end the production and use of HFCs in the coming years.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/nations-sign-major-deal-curb-warming-chemicals-used-air-conditioning

That's fair. They could just use actual butane or propane, but it would burst into flame if it ever leaked. 

12 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Just for comparison, what are your temps at highest load? I know you have an older Phi in it as well as oil. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

49 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Just for comparison, what are your temps at highest load? I know you have an older Phi in it as well as oil. 

This not so easy to answer. When I runn prime and furmark I'm in the 50C to 60C range in the beginning (25C ambient).

But than I burn around 850 watts and the heat sinks can't keep up with such a high thermal load. Due to the extrem heat capacity of the system it takes 3 - 4 hours of prime and furmark to reach thermal throtteling.

Edit: during gaming the total load is reduced and it does not throttle.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

gib me one pls

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On 10/31/2016 at 10:21 PM, Mandrewoid said:

Can confirm.  I have a thermal camera, and a case with a glass sidepanel. The sidepanel totally blocks IR. The FLIR MSX technology is screwing you over here. 

That really doesn't matter... we have internal temps from the sensors and external temps (external to the case) with the thermal camera.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

This seems like a pretty shitty concept.  Their solution is heavy as hell, basically hardline with no flexibility for upgrading or moving stuff around in a datacenter, and if shit breaks it's once again (proprietary) hardline so have fun with that.  And it's still dumping heat in whatever room its in so you're going to be running your HVAC more to deal with it which = noise.  

Take a D5 pump, put it in a sound isolating enclosure, get 50 feet of tubing, put your radiator and fans in another room or outside, and hey oh you exceeded the performance of this science project for less cost.

Do you know how many fans and pumps (with associated pwr comsumption) you can ditch in a medium sized datacener with a solution like this?
Plus, it's stated on the company website that the thermal capillary pump can work against gravity at a total height of 3 meters (10 feet). That's enough for connecting to an overhead fluid circuit driven by a more efficient pump that transports heat wherever it is convenient for the specific situation. Solutions like this actually can reduce the use of HVAC in medium/large sized datacenters.
It is obvious to anyone with a minumum experience that the dissipator shown in the video is not viable a solution for server racks and cabinets. It's a consumer space prototype.

Another big point is worker safety and workplace condtion. Datacenters are loud places and, depending by regulatory laws, you end up paying employees extra money to compensate for the harsh, loud working environment. Reducing noise at acceptable levels equals reducing cost per worker, and that's a big plus. 
Lastly, moving sfuff in datacenters is not a task you perform lifting cabinets around by hand, they have specialized machinery and workers for that.

Spoiler

Hearing-Protection-Floor-Sign-SF-0093.gi

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

you know that a D5 pump will wear out very quickly with such a length of tubing connected to it, right? besides sound isloating enclosures are more expensive to custom fabricate for datacenters compared to cooling solutions like this, datacenters arent made to be upgraded constantly, they are made with the purpose to run flawless 24/7 at 100% capactity, if you start adding moving parts into the equation your will be dealing with worn out parts and malfunctioning compononents in no time, especially with normal consumer hardware like a D5 pump, shit aint made for that stuff ya know.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You idiot! 

Greetings from Belgium :P

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I registered after happening upon this topic and seeing all the comments denigrating this solution.

1) Some of us want silent computers. Tinnitus is not fun. So-called "silent" computing levels are frequently not silent enough. It's also a lot easier to focus when there's no noise for those of us with attention/focus issues. I put a computer into a separate room and it still caused my tinnitus to flare up badly, even though I could hardly hear it through the wall.

2) Water cooling has a lot of annoyances, like corrosion and the reliance on ethylene glycol coolants. Breathing in tolyltriazole impurities, ethylene glycol, and the various other things people put into water loops (like Water Wetter ethers) isn't ideal. My disassembled water system still stinks up a room (thanks mainly to the EK EVO coolant) and it has been rinsed and run with just borate.

Say goodbye to having to clean water cooling systems and buy coolant.

3) Weight is not a big issue if you don't need to move your computer around often.

4) The advantage of not having to frequently clean due to dust is a big one, especially when thinking about trying to get cat dander and such out of dense heat sinks (something that can be tough even with compressed air).

5) Wikipedia says this pentafluoropropane does not hurt ozone:

Unlike

CFC and HCFC blowing agents formerly used for this purpose, it has no ozone depletion potential and is nearly non-toxic.

6) What I don't understand is that wiki also says it is "practically non-biodegradable" but lists the lifespan in the atmosphere as 7.2 years. That is hardly non-biodegradable since trifluoromethane lasts for 270 years, for instance.

I am really looking forward to this system hitting the consumer market.

Very nice idea. Waiting to see the final version. 

Desktop: i7 930, eVGA X58 3x SLI Classified, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 560Ti, 240 GB SSD, 3 TB HDD, 850W

Laptop: Asus ROG G551V, i7 6700HQ, 16 GB RAM, GTX 960M, 240 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

• 4 months later...