New Surfaces

79wjd
2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You can't blame anyone for the mistake.

Capture.PNG

From MS website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-studio/tech-specs

Lmao, I suspect that it only supports P3 & sRGB, not AdobeRGB (P3 and AdobeRGB have colour spaces which extend in the opposite direction, so if it supported both than they would likely have the highest res widest gamut monitor in history... And they definetly haven't bragged about that enough for it to be true).

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Does Windows even have proper color management?

Apparently they've had it since Windows 7... It just never worked properly 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

<snip>

I thought I was pretty constructive.

<snip>

Apologies I meant positive... not constructive, not sure why I used that word. It just seems lately you have been so negative about stuff. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

Apparently they've had it since Windows 7... It just never worked properly 

Wasn't that just a very crude switch for color spaces in general? So that everything became sRGB, or everything became AdobeRGB. By "proper color management" I mean it is controlled on an application-by-application basis. So you could have a video playing on half of your screen using DCI-P3 and a photo viewer in sRGB on the other half.

14 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Apologies I meant positive... not constructive, not sure why I used that word. It just seems lately you have been so negative about stuff. 

I am not a fan of giving blood sucking corporations fellatio when they don't deserve it.

I think this screen seems really good but they ruined it with the crappy PC you are forced to use with it.

I thought the iPhone 7 had some really good things, such as Apple finally getting their head of out their ass and implementing big.LITTLE, but they ruined it with the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Are companies releasing shit products on purpose just to see what they can get away with these days? I got a long list of new things I want, both hardware and software wise, and nobody seems to bother with any of the stuff on it. Probably because what I want would just make products better, instead of just being new ways of sucking their customers dry...

17 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wasn't that just a very crude switch for color spaces in general? So that everything became sRGB, or everything became AdobeRGB. By "proper color management" I mean it is controlled on an application-by-application basis. So you could have a video playing on half of your screen using DCI-P3 and a photo viewer in sRGB on the other half.

I believe it does that. It depends on the software on what it choose to support. But I recall being shown this option in PhotoShop. I am sure that they are other software that support it as well.

On 10/27/2016 at 5:03 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

So I finally saw that price and it made me think, is Microsoft trying to be like Apple, but better? Make their own boutique hardware, but license the OS to other manufacturers to do their own thing.

Dell and Microsoft have been pricing their top stuff at Apple's pricing for a long time. 

That said, that Surface Studio is a steal. 28" Touch Screen IPS 4K displays are ~$2,800 on their own. 

4 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Dell and Microsoft have been pricing their top stuff at Apple's pricing for a long time.

Dell hasn't. The XPS laptops are a much better deal than Apple's and other ultrabooks makers. And then there's the Inspiron 15 7559.

Alienware sure. But that's always Alienware's shtick.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Dell hasn't. The XPS laptops are a much better deal than Apple's and other ultrabooks makers. And then there's the Inspiron 15 7559.

Alienware sure. But that's always Alienware's shtick.

Moral of the story: Dell is king?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And then there's the Inspiron 15 7559.

bookmarked!

I now have a good replacement for my ageing MacBook Pro. Now Apple can definitely got hump themselves with their disappointingly new MacBooks

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

bookmarked!

I now have a good replacement for my ageing MacBook Pro. Now Apple can definitely got hump themselves with their disappointingly new MacBooks

You might want to get it soon before Dell replaces it with the gaudy one they announced.

Also the laptop routinely goes on sale for $100-$200 off. This is about the only time I'd say "wait for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday" sale on a great item.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You might want to get it soon before Dell replaces it with the gaudy one they announced.

Also the laptop routinely goes on sale for $100-$200 off. This is about the only time I'd say "wait for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday" sale on a great item.

200 off? hope they do it also for EU. Is the gaudy one the one in red they announced a while ago for china? cause if it is, i liked the red colour 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I have a couple of thoughts on the new Surface Studio.

Yes it is nice, MS did a stellar job. But why didn't they update the hardware to more modern stuff? I know it probably took at least a couple of years to develop the product but they could have designed the actual hardware stuff last. That way they could have put 10 series cards in it, or at least a desktop 980 (even gaming laptops have them). Plus it has no USB Type-C, only 3.0. No Thunderbolt, nothing groundbreaking besides its stellar design.

9 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I have a couple of thoughts on the new Surface Studio.

Yes it is nice, MS did a stellar job. But why didn't they update the hardware to more modern stuff? I know it probably took at least a couple of years to develop the product but they could have designed the actual hardware stuff last. That way they could have put 10 series cards in it, or at least a desktop 980 (even gaming laptops have them). Plus it has no USB Type-C, only 3.0. No Thunderbolt, nothing groundbreaking besides its stellar design.

Probably due to long dev cycle of the device. 980 desktop consume too much power, even the 1080. 1070 might have worked.. but I think Microsoft focus was on delivering a 0 throttle, fairly quiet system under load experience. I think next gen it will be fine. It does have a Quad core CPU... remember that the system is smaller than a laptop (well not in height, obviously, but width and depth).

Yea, I agree, USB Type-C should be there.. at least 1 port. I am thinking that the Surface Book 2, Surface Pro 5, and Surface Studio 2 will come out with an added USB Type-C.

"only 3.0" is plenty. We don't even have a wide range of devices using the max bandwidth of USB 3.0.  Thunderbolt is currently useless. It needs an expensive chip to add things to this small compact system. I don't think there is much reason for it.  External GPU is nice and all, but I think Thunderbolt 4 will really shine as it would have enougth bandwidth (predicting), for returning the image on the main monitor and get most of a high-end desktop GPU. Enclosure will reduce in price... we started with ~$2000 empty boxes then $800, and now $500 with the Razer core... so we are getting there. Then there is compatibility issue to work things out.

So it looks like the Surface Studio is listed in the Canadian store of Microsoft. So I guess, at  least until it is officially released, it won't come here. Or maybe they don't see Canadians buying it?

Anyway, The Surface Studio, all models, are already sold out in the US.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

So it looks like the Surface Studio is listed in the Canadian store of Microsoft. So I guess, at  least until it is officially released, it won't come here. Or maybe they don't see Canadians buying it?

What's a Canadian?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Anyway, The Surface Studio, all models, are already sold out in the US.

That was fast!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers