New Surfaces

79wjd
47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-965m

So I guess it is pretty good in real life.. need to see benchmarks, of course. i am not familiar with this chip, and don't have time at the moment to check.. I'll do so tonight.

I've looked up a few benches, and it seems to perform better than the 960M, and way better than the 940M the old SB came with, but it's not an amazing performer (only 48FPS in GTA V, eehhh... although, they were testing on Very High). Gaming might be a real possibility on the new SB.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Interesting that they went with a 980m instead of a 1080...

not sure interesting is the right word :D 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually.. guys.. there is even worst news:

$2999 : Intel Core i5, 8 GB DDR4, 1TB, GTX 965M 2GB
$3499 : Intel Core i7, 16 GB DDR4, 1TB, GTX 965M 2GB
$4199 : Intel Core i7, 32 GB DDR4, 2TB, GTX 980M 4GB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10793/microsoft-announces-the-surface-studio-28inch-aio-with-touch-pen-4500x3000-haswell-gtx-980m

So if you want the 980M... you are looking at $4200 US.

I wonder if MS is just playing "Let's see how far we can push prices and still sell"

To get pricing more in-line with other AIOs (that don't have the hinge/drawing aspects to them) -- specifically the 5K iMac since that's the only AIO with a 5k screen, you're looking at: $1800 for the base model, $2500 for the mid-tier model, and $3400 for the top tier model. So, you're basically paying an extra $1000 for the drawing capability of it (which while a lot, is possibly cheaper than the cost of a comparable drawing interface? -- I'm not exactly sure how much comparable drawing tools cost). Although, in all fairness, Apple's upgrades are stupidly expensive, so the pricing of the iMac should really be more like $1800, $2100, $2400~.

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

@Enderman  Is your metric obsession coming to realisation?

Don't forget the SB at 3000x2000.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10793/microsoft-announces-the-surface-studio-28inch-aio-with-touch-pen-4500x3000-haswell-gtx-980m

I wonder if MS is just playing "Let's see how far we can push prices and still sell"

Unfortunately that looks like that's exactly what they're doing :P shame I know quite a few artistic people who would really like that pen and puck on such a large drawing surface. Also yeah, kinda disappointed we didn't see any 10 series cards make an appearance today but a slight graphics boost and some battery life is never a bad thing.

i7-6700k | Cooler Master 212x | ASUS ROG Strix 1080 | 16 gigs Avexir Raiden Green RAM (because plasma tubes always improve performance) | ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Green

Build Pre Water Cooling: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/np9J7P

Surface Dial is compatible with any Windows 10 PC (anniversary update required) apparently

Microsoft says:

• The full Surface Dial experience is available exclusively on the Surface Studio, including the use of the Dial on the display itself
  • "Optimized off-screen compatibility" is available on the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
  • The Dial also works with a more limited set of features on any other PC, tablet or notebook running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Source:https://www.neowin.net/news/new-surface-dial-compatible-with-any-windows-10-pc-now-available-to-pre-order-for-9999

It cost $99.99 on my MS store

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Dial/productID.5074013900

43 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well almost every company is kind of doing that unless their strategy is to specifically try to be a value brand and make money by selling large quantities with slimmer margins. Microsoft has some brand equity so they can get away with charging more, the same way Apple can because people will pay more for a better brand. Most PC OEMs take advantage of brand equity a Sony (Well just VAIO now) or Alienware laptop with the same specs is going to cost a lot more than an HP and even more than Acer.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Hi

I don't think so .

I think they want to help people without kidneys to find a kidney by kindly asking others to sell theirs :DxD and get a surface as a gift !!

Why go above 4k resolution when you aren't reaching 8k? That's just going to make anything 4k look terrible AND you're wasting processing power on a resolution that absolutely no one is going to fully utilize except for whoever owns one.

Also, prices are way too high for both the book and the studio.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Surface Dial is compatible with any Windows 10 PC (anniversary update required) apparently

Microsoft says:

Source:https://www.neowin.net/news/new-surface-dial-compatible-with-any-windows-10-pc-now-available-to-pre-order-for-9999

It cost $99.99 on my MS store

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Dial/productID.5074013900

A "limited set of features" sounds to me like it will be a bit more than a glorified menu button on anything but a surface. As a 3D modeler with a surface as my school device this would be somewhat appealing if not for the existence of the space mouse at the exact same price.

i7-6700k | Cooler Master 212x | ASUS ROG Strix 1080 | 16 gigs Avexir Raiden Green RAM (because plasma tubes always improve performance) | ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Green

5 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Why go above 4k resolution when you aren't reaching 8k? That's just going to make anything 4k look terrible AND you're wasting processing power on a resolution that absolutely no one is going to fully utilize except for whoever owns one.

Remember that it's using a 3:2 aspect ratio, so regardless it won't be a standard resolution. Also, since it's also going to be used for drawing you're likely to be pretty close to the screen -- so you'll want a pretty high pixel density. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

Also by going above a 4k resolution at a non standard aspect ratio they expect the screen to be used with multiple programs running side by side effectively giving you a 4k panel with a bit of extra space on the side

6 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Your logic is flawed. If you made it 8k then you'd be wasting even more processing power because you would be cramming in even more pixels people can't notice. Microsoft wanted a specific ratio, they wanted a specific diagonal screen size, and they aimed for a certain DPI, the resolution they chose accomplishes that. The device isn't meant for gaming or movie watching, so the fact that games and movies will have black bars and will need to upscale a bit won't really matter it also won't look worse is like you think. By that logic DVDs at 480P will look worse on a 1080P screen, which it doesn't, they look almost the same.

The price is high because it's a premium product and a unique product that involves a lot of R&D.

2 minutes ago, jakinov said:

Your logic is flawed. If you made it 8k then you'd be wasting even more processing power because you would be cramming in even more pixels people can't notice. Microsoft wanted a specific ratio, they wanted a specific diagonal screen size, and they aimed for a certain DPI, the resolution they chose accomplishes that. The device isn't meant for gaming or movie watching, so the fact that games and movies will have black bars and will need to upscale a bit won't really matter it also won't look worse is like you think. By that logic DVDs at 480P will look worse on a 1080P screen, which it doesn't, they look almost the same.

The price is high because it's a premium product and a unique product that involves a lot of R&D.

Not to mention there's equally little 8k content as there is 4.8k (<5k) content. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Red Hardware said:

And one more problem : 980 M 

I thought it was a gtx 1060?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

I thought it was a gtx 1060?

The Surface book as a 965m upgradable to a 980m and the Surface Studio has a 980m.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The Surface book as a 965m upgradable to a 980m and the Surface Studio has a 980m.

Really? Strange that they didn't use Pascal... A 980m is an awful large amount of energy consumption and heat for such a thin chassis...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The Surface Studio also has two versions with a 965M.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Really? Strange that they didn't use Pascal... A 980m is an awful large amount of energy consumption and heat for such a thin chassis...

It was probably too far along in development and so switching to Pascal would have delayed the launch. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It was probably too far along in development and so switching to Pascal would have delayed the launch. 

Hmm.... I can't find anywhere where it states that the Book has a 965m and 980m... Do you care to link me a website?

EDIT: I found on the Microsoft website that it does indeed use a 965m. However, I can't find anywhere where it says that it can be upgraded to a 980m.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Probably should have tried to coordinate better with Nvidia. There's quite a while between Pascal launch and December, when these devices launch.

Just now, DocSwag said:

Hmm.... I can't find anywhere where it states that the Book has a 965m and 980m... Do you care to link me a website?

I could've sworn someone above posted a link showing the SB with a 980m. Although, I might have misread something because that sounds like a thermal nightmare. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Sakkura said:

Probably should have tried to coordinate better with Nvidia. There's quite a while between Pascal launch and December, when these devices launch.

The SB is available in November, so maybe they wanted to keep them similarly spec'd....I have to assume there is some reason why there isn't pascal. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I could've sworn someone above posted a link showing the SB with a 980m. Although, I might have misread something because that sounds like a thermal nightmare. 

Lol ya look at my post I edited it :) 

Turns out it does have a 965m. However, it seems it can't be upgraded to a 980m.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler