Windows 10 Too Fat

Gali

So I've read several articles recently that Windows 10 is extremely bloated with unnecessary services engaging the CPU and all the bloatware loaded onto the OS weighing it down and causing high amounts of user frustration. That being said, does anyone have a solid list of the services and bloatware that can be turned off / removed to alleviate what's landing on top of the CPU?

I literally watched my CPU bog down periodically from this crap while gaming yesterday. I've heard a heap of streamers, YouTubers, and gamers have reverted back to W7 or simply not move to W10 so it's not too surprising.

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

4 minutes ago, Gali said:

does anyone have a solid list of the services and bloatware that can be turned off / removed to alleviate what's landing on top of the CPU?

The main culprit is windows update and to my knowledge the only way to turn it off on windows 10 is registry editing, and of course that would entirely disable all future updates, I'd guess the other culprits are things like windows store and cortana but the updater seems fare more of a problem.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Only time I've had an issue was Windows Update slightly bogging down my system. Aside from that really nothing. And I have a slow CPU too.

2 minutes ago, Gali said:

So I've read several articles recently that Windows 10 is extremely bloated with unnecessary services engaging the CPU and all the bloatware loaded onto the OS weighing it down and causing high amounts of user frustration. That being said, does anyone have a solid list of the services and bloatware that can be turned off / removed to alleviate what's landing on top of the CPU?

I literally watched my CPU bog down periodically from this crap while gaming yesterday. I've heard a heap of streamers, YouTubers, and gamers have reverted back to W7 or simply not move to W10 so it's not too surprising.

It's true that Windows 10 runs more services that aren't always necessary.

However, Windows 10's services are lighter on resources than Windows 7, and is overall faster.

Look through the running services, unless you're on a i3 or lower, unnecessary Windows services shouldn't really drag down performance in any noticeable manner. There might be some services from programs causing it though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The main culprit is windows update and to my knowledge the only way to turn it off on windows 10 is registry editing, and of course that would entirely disable all future updates, I'd guess the other culprits are things like windows store and cortana but the updater seems fare more of a problem.

I haven't tried it but won't you still be able to manually get updates?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I haven't tried it but won't you still be able to manually get updates?

Not if you completely disable the updater, if you find a way to set it to manual startup then yes but I'm unsure if that's how it works after editing the registry in this case, plus if it's allowed to update it will change the registry edits made on the updater so you'll have to regedit again after updates.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

19 minutes ago, Gali said:

Windows 10 does have more services, but they trigger on events (hence the point of services, and why they are not background programs , where it would run all the time) Yes, it would consume more memory. That is the downside.But, it should not affect the CPU.

Microsoft, right now, is working on RedStone 2 update (expected release date: March 2017). In the coming up version, Microsoft is separating services with systems with 3.5GB of RAM or more. Kinda like Chrome, where each tab is a process on its own, same for Windows 10 with its services.

So now, the task manager will look like this (it is more clear under the "Process" tab where you a have a better idea what each service is, but under the Detail tab looks like this (might be best to show Command Line column to get the service name)

Capture.PNG

(note that what you see, is work in progress. And Microsft might change things, and might revert back).

So there are NOT more services despite what is looks, but each service is separated in its own process. The idea is that if 1 crashes, Windows can recover it, and won't crash other stuff too, helping identifying a problem.

Just something to expect.

The RAM increase, if you wonder, is not much actually. And my system has 6GB of RAM. My system consumes 3.4GB with Firefox consume 560MB.

The problem with streamers is that they don't give a crap on how to setup their system, and then complain that Windows 10 does stuff.

• Setup Windows maintenance schedule to be at a time where you don't stream or do work.
  • Set your system active hours so that Windows Update doesn't kick-in and update.
  • Set your quiet hours to disable system notifications while you work/stream.
  • Check for updates manually before doing something critical if it is not fitting with the schedule set that day so that it doesn't happen while you do things.
  • Keep your system updated. Windows WILL warn you that the system will restart, and you can delay it.. but push it too much, and it WILL restart on you.

If you do this, once configured, Windows 10 will know how to work around you. Everything is found under the Settings panel and the 'Security and Maintenance' panel. No registry, no magic tricks needed. Just spend the 5min to set it.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

However, Windows 10's services are lighter on resources than Windows 7, and is overall faster.

I beg to differ, they added more useless services hence dissolving any gains to be had, plus the OS's updates are still unstable a whole year after launch.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Setup Windows maintenance schedule of tasks to be at a time where you don't stream, or do work.
  • Set your system active hours so that Windows Update doesn't kick-in and update.
  • Set your quiet hours, to disable system notifications while you work/stream.
  • Check for updates manually before doing something critical if it is not fitting with the schedule set that day, so that it doesn't happen while you do things.
  • Keep your system updated. Windows WILL warn you that the system will restart, and you can delay it.. but push it too much, and it WILL restart on you.

Though I agree some complaints can be traced to users picking poor settings for what they want it should be noted windows 10 has a tendency to change user settings after updating which can be quite infuriating.

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I beg to differ, they added more useless services hence dissolving any gains to be had, plus the OS's updates are still unstable a whole year after launch.

This has nothing to do with services.

Though I agree some complaints can be traced to users picking poor settings for what they want it should be noted windows 10 has a tendency to change user settings after updating which can be quite infuriating.

Yea. Well, Microsoft is working on this. Already, now, Redstone 2 will not re-install uninstalled apps including its own. The OS now keeps tracks of what is installed and uninstalled. Already most settings are being kept, and it is getting better at every release, so far, from what I can see/experience.

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Useless to you. Useful to others.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

The services aren't useless, and many necessary services are using far less than in previous versions of Windows. Windows 7 was extremely wasteful compared to Windows 8 and 10.

The only time Windows 10 is unstable is when the hardware combination is questionable. The reason it seems like Windows 10 is less stable is because bashing post Windows 7 versions has become the largest bandwagon revolving around the operating system family.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

This has nothing to do with services.

Microsoft is working on this. Already now Redstone 2 will not re-instal uninstalled apps including its own. The OS now keeps tracks of what is installed and uninstalled. Already most settings are being kept, and it is getting better at every release.

Well at least they are addressing it, though forgive me for being skeptical

(also services running in the background does increase ram and cpu use....so your statement perplexes me as I'm talking about OS use of resources nothing else as I haven't look any further into it)

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The only time Windows 10 is unstable is when the hardware combination is questionable.

Or if the updater screws up which it seems to do quite frequently, for instance why would my computer have memory leaks on windows 10 despite having compatible hardware ??? The only fault can belong to MS relaxing their testing policies causing issue from my point of view.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Or if the updater screws up which it seems to do quite frequently, for instance why would my computer have memory leaks on windows 10 despite having compatible hardware ??? The only fault can belong to MS relaxing their testing policies causing issue from my point of view.

By far, the most issues have occurred on hardware that isn't 100% compatible. Despite what everyone things, there is still quite a bit of research to be done to build a system that has minimal conflicts.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

We're getting off-topic, folks.

I'm looking for ways to slim down the OS and trim the fat. That includes unnecessary services (If they're active), bloatware, junk apps, etc.

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Most of the Windows 10 PC's I've fixed with issues have been due to drivers or just requiring a new install versus an upgrade.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

By far, the most issues have occurred on hardware that isn't 100% compatible. Despite what everyone things, there is still quite a bit of research to be done to build a system that has minimal conflicts.

Well then MS should have made the OS more flexible as there is no excuse for a 1 year old system using very common components to not be compatible.

5 minutes ago, Gali said:

We're getting off-topic, folks.

I'm looking for a way to slim down the OS and trim the fat. That includes unnecessary services (If they're active), bloatware, junk apps, etc.

Kill the windows store if you don't use it, and lock down the updater down to manual if it's possible to do so, as for cortana you wouldn't be able to search for files if you turn it off so idk what you want to do on that one,

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Well then MS should have made the OS more flexible as their is no excuse for a 1 year old system using very common components to not be compatible.

That's an issue of firmware and fault goes to OEMs like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. Windows is still amongst the most flexible operating systems out there.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well at least they are addressing it, though forgive me for being skeptical

That is fine, can't blame you.

(also services running in the background does increase ram and cpu use....so your statement perplexes me as I'm talking about OS use of resources nothing else as I haven't look any further into it)

Increase RAM yes, CPU (if it's doing nothing because it truelly not needed by you), no. It just waits for an event to trigger it. If it does stuff, then you need it. Else it will affect your OS experience or security (depending on the service).

Memory leaks that appears to be from the OS, are from drivers. If a driver has a memory leak, it will appear as if Windows has one. So yes, it makes debugging a pain, because you don't know which drivers causes the problem. And now it comes down to: Should Microsoft add another layer to better track memory and CPU usage of each driver, but in exchange reduce performance due to this extra layer in the way from direct access to the hardware?

Also, we saw a dip in performance (and increase memory usage) for the extra layers added in Vista from XP for its drivers, to allow drivers to be restarted by the OS, and not give you a BSOD. A move that has increased substantially the stability of computers. Of course, over time, the impact disappeared as computer hardware caught up.