Samsung recalls the Note 7

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, misthosg said:

That is really good.

I am so tired of many people asking me (since my phone is not an iPhone), is that a Samsung?

This won't change much. Now instead of asking you if your non-Apple phone is a Samsung, they will just run away and shout "he's got a bomb".

53 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

-snip-

Well the picture you took of Samsung is quite a different perspective than all the others, but I do get your point. however, the large rounded icons are something that LG does too, and are there simply to make the phone more user-friendly. user-friendliness isn't something new, and Samsung is trying to compete with apple in that respect. not imitation, competition. the main point you seem to be making is that the user experience on Samsung flagships is very iPhone-esque, which prompts users to switch, however, I would say that although Samsung strives to make their phones easier to use (as all manufacturers should), they don't go out of their way to make their phones look or operate like iPhones. in your scenario, to not copy apple, Samsung should make very square, complicated icons. and by the way, the new iPhones don't even have a physical home button!

Edited by GoodBytes
Shorten the quote

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

I used to use (and still have) a Nokia Lumia 520 lol

Haha I have a Lumia 520 too! Bought it as a toy phone to try out Windows phone years ago. Don't use it anymore, but my new (well, more than a year old already) toy Windows phone is a Lumia 640.

4 minutes ago, Zeeee said:

HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE IT, EAT THAT SAMSUNG AHAHHAAA i hate samsung bullshit practices so damn much. I also hate iphone btw... i only like actual dev friendly good devices like nexus 6p i currently own and i like more stock phones like one plus eh ahhaa serves samsung right for not listening to their customers asking to get rid of touchwiz.... lol aint that funny

Actually, touchwiz has nothing to do with explosions. it's really not fair to say that it serves them right that their phones explode for not listening to their customers.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

Haha I have a Lumia 520 too! Bought it as a toy phone to try out Windows phone years ago. Don't use it anymore, but my new (well, more than a year old already) toy Windows phone is a Lumia 640.

Nice. There's not a lot wrong with it but the lack of the apps and games I use is annoying and that's why I got an S7.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Actually, touchwiz has nothing to do with explosions. it's really not fair to say that it serves them right that their phones explode for not listening to their customers.

Maybe it has something to do with fast charging?

6 minutes ago, misthosg said:

That is really good.

I am so tired of many people asking me (since my phone is not an iPhone), is that a Samsung?

Yep, I use neither. My phone gets a lot of compliments and stares and I love it! Only about half the time do people ask if it's a Samsung though, because it really looks nothing like one.

36 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

The fact that they halted sales and are telling customers to get a refunds would lead us all to believe they are halting production of the item that is going out...as in its faulty and they cant risk making and sending out more of the same units that are causing the problem.

Why is it different losing money by stopping production when they would lose just as well by making a faulty product they wont be able to sell? 

In other words, you are choosing to accept rumor as fact. 

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well the picture you took of Samsung is quite a different perspective than all the others, but I do get your point. however, the large rounded icons are something that LG does too, and are there simply to make the phone more user-friendly. user-friendliness isn't something new, and Samsung is trying to compete with apple in that respect. not imitation, competition. the main point you seem to be making is that the user experience on Samsung flagships is very iPhone-esque, which prompts users to switch, however, I would say that although Samsung strives to make their phones easier to use (as all manufacturers should), they don't go out of their way to make their phones look or operate like iPhones. in your scenario, to not copy apple, Samsung should make very square, complicated icons. and by the way, the new iPhones don't even have a physical home button!

I think its coming down to opinion. The other manufacturers do the same thing to make it brighter and easier but not in the same way Apple and Samsung. LG is just as bad as far as software wise but their phones were solid up until the G5. 

Its common for someone to have to look twice to see if its an iPhone or a Galaxy. I dont know if the other guys on here are serious or not but I've seen it happen plenty of times out and about. Sure sometimes with other phones too but its far more common for Samsung

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

1 minute ago, It's me! said:

In other words, you are choosing to accept rumor as fact. 

You can say I said anything "in other words"

What I said was it makes sense to assume they would stop production of a failed unit that is potentially on its second recall for burning up. Its likely not the phones fault at all but why keep making it until you find out for sure

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Unless the cause of the phone explosions is a group of disgruntled hackers, who were fed up with touchwiz and found a way to remotely overvolt random Samsung devices (Unlikely).

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

DUDE i never said touchwiz is the cause its not IM SURE its not, but im saying screw samsung with their shitty touchwiz they deserve what happened with this device. Its just like a concept like karma like fuck u for fucking the customers over, so many people are converts from iphone to samsung then they use touchwiz and dont know any better and are like hey wow is this android? Android sucks ass and go back to iphone i can name countless people i know that did that, theyre tarnishing the android image by touchwiz its not cool, they should stop with that shit

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

\and by the way, the new iPhones don't even have a physical home button!

Im sure its going capacitive and I bet you the new Samsung S8 will have that too. Just because they changed the type doesn't mean they're willing to completely remove it from the place their customers have always known it to be.

hope this means Note 8 has a removable battery, ditch the shitty glass design, has an S-Pen that doesn't break, and is friendly to power users by coming with an unlocked bootloader, cause Sammy, ol' buddy ol' pal, let me tell you a secret: Nobody likes Shitwiz

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, Vigilante505 said:

and

Image result for HTC one m8

If you're going to use a flagship HTC phone to prove your point about manufacturers removing physical home buttons, at least use the current one.

Oh, hang on a sec ...

htc-10-us-topaz-gold-phone-listing.png

I don't get it, people got replacement phones, did Samsung not fix the problem? What is going on?

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

7 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

I don't get it, people got replacement phones, did Samsung not fix the problem? What is going on?

The replacement phone didn't solve the problem, they still explode just as before.

Apparently there were reports of people complaining that their "version 2" Note7s didn't last long on a full charge, as if the battery capacity was smaller. I heard something along those lines on TWiT, but I admit I was paying little attention to TWiT that evening.

I'm thinking that perhaps they just took the phones back in, flashed them with different firmware to cap the maximum battery level (to prevent overcharging) at something like 60%, slapped on a new rear cover and sent them back out as "new" phones.  That's also the only explanation as to how they could come up with a fix so fast and get "new" phones out so quickly and in such large numbers.

Unfortunately it looks like the problem was not caused by overcharging but is a critical design flaw in either the battery or the circuitry.  Time will tell what exactly was the root of the problem ... if they ever tell us, that is.

Sounds like sabotage to me. The fact that this is only happening to one device seems extremely odd.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 hours ago, Zeeee said:

.. i only like actual dev friendly good devices

Funny story, the iPhone is super dev friendly. At least, thats what all my dev friends say (btw I live in the heart of the tech industry). 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

38 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Sounds like sabotage to me. The fact that this is only happening to one device seems extremely odd.

They are using a new battery technology. They were making these new high capacity small package lithium-ion battery which they used in the Note 7.

The only real fix is to provide a normal battery, but then the device battery life would be greatly reduced. Samsung didn't properly tested this new technology or they didn't perfected the production process of it, causing faults, making some of them explode. The new battery technology needs more R&D.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

They are using a new battery technology. They were making these new high capacity small package lithium-ion battery which they used in the Note 7.

The only real fix is to provide a normal battery, but then the device battery life would be greatly reduced. Samsung didn't properly tested this new technology or they didn't perfected the production process of it, causing faults, making some of them explode. The new battery technology needs more R&D.

Stuff that the mainstream media doesn't talk about...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

45 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I wonder if a diy battery replacement with a standard Lithium cell would render the device safe to use. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

i wonder how much money they lost on marketing alone, must be around a billion $..., like how much did their press event cost?

and for the everything else? R&D, materials, machining, manufacturing, labor, logistics, packaging, software

I'm gonna go see if I can watch their launch event on YouTube just cause I can... xD

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch