J.J. Abrams to announce Portal movie "soon"

Notional
8 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

That and it relies on knowing more about Warcraft than just WoW.

Agreed - I never bothered to watch it, because I don't know jack shit about Warcraft. I was never that interested in Warcraft when it was an RTS series, and I have literally negative interest in WoW.

Starcraft would have been a much more interesting movie franchise for me. Let's hope Blizzard decides to make a SC movie next! That'd be fucking sweet.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - I never bothered to watch it, because I don't know jack shit about Warcraft. I was never that interested in Warcraft when it was an RTS series, and I have literally negative interest in WoW.

Starcraft would have been a much more interesting movie franchise for me. Let's hope Blizzard decides to make a SC movie next! That'd be fucking sweet.

I have no knowledge of Warcraft, and I don't think you need to know anything before you watch it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I have no knowledge of Warcraft, and I don't think you need to know anything before you watch it.

Have you seen the movie yet?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

This sounds horrible. We already got a great storyline through Portal 1 & 2. What could Hollywood possibly add?

If Valve has some level of creative control, it could turn out amazing (the new Assassin's Creed movie looks very promising and it was done with Ubisoft having almost full creative control). Abrams seems like a fan of the series, so I doubt he'd make it worse. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

1 minute ago, rashdanml said:

If Valve has some level of creative control, it could turn out amazing (the new Assassin's Creed movie looks very promising and it was done with Ubisoft having almost full creative control). Abrams seems like a fan of the series, so I doubt he'd make it worse. 

Even Abrams "bad" movies are still pretty damn good, in my opinion, so if he's directing, then the movie will likely have at least some base-level quality.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you seen the movie yet?

yes. I thought it was good. I also didn't have any high expectation, so I got what I expected.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I guess there will be a lens flare every time someone jumps through a portal. 

Just now, .spider. said:

I guess there will be a lens flare every time someone jumps through a portal. 

Hahahaha so funny :dry::P

Seriously though, check out his non-Star Trek movies. Not all of them have lots of lens flare. Force Awakens had just the right amount.

Besides, Star Trek, lens flares or not, looked fucking amazing - it still does even today.

I'm interested, Abrams and Christopher Nolan are my 2 favourite directors. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, rashdanml said:

Oh man that Assassin's Creed movie looks horrible from the preview I saw.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Oh man that Assassin's Creed movie looks horrible from the preview I saw.

What about it looks horrible? They've definitely changed a few details (The Animus is probably the biggest change), but mostly what I've seen, is the details are just to make it more engaging as a movie format.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

What about it looks horrible? They've definitely changed a few details (The Animus is probably the biggest change), but mostly what I've seen, is the details are just to make it more engaging as a movie format.

Well you brought up the animus so I won't say any more. It looks almost Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon level stupid the way he's jumping around between buildings and 300 level stupid the way he's timing every hit perfectly in the trailer. I bet they do something stupid like have a love story develop with Lucy instead of him killing her too.

Still would prefer a Portal/Half life crossover movie (they are set in the same universe):

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Well you brought up the animus so I won't say any more. It looks almost Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon level stupid the way he's jumping around between buildings and 300 level stupid the way he's timing every hit perfectly in the trailer. I bet they do something stupid like have a love story develop with Lucy instead of him killing her too.

Have you played the game? I mean, you can do ridiculous "300" style stuff in that game. Especially the cutscenes.

The Animus redesign is pretty weird. I wonder what they will do with that. I figure they probably thought it would be too boring to see him just laying in a chair-like thing or whatever, anytime they're in the "real world".

Personally, I don't even know if Lucy is even going to be in the movie. I don't think Michael Fassbender is playing Desmond Miles. I could be wrong, but I don't think we know who he is playing yet.

Lucy and Desmond DO kind of have a love story in the game, it...ugh... just never comes to fruition :P

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you played the game? I mean, you can do ridiculous "300" style stuff in that game. Especially the cutscenes.

The Animus redesign is pretty weird. I wonder what they will do with that. I figure they probably thought it would be too boring to see him just laying in a chair-like thing or whatever, anytime they're in the "real world".

Personally, I don't even know if Lucy is even going to be in the movie. I don't think Michael Fassbender is playing Desmond Miles. I could be wrong, but I don't think we know who he is playing yet.

Lucy and Desmond DO kind of have a love story in the game, it...ugh... just never comes to fruition :P

I have only played the first and the Ezio trilogy (first was crap, next 3 were great). I think that kind of stuff with the quickly executed superhuman moves works better in gaming. Another thing is I hate Hollywood right now. It's such a down time for them right when you compare their crap to all the great episodic TV series of the last two decades like The Wire, The Sopranos, Dexter (last season was shit though), Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Better Call Saul, etc. And they're losing so many dollars to gaming now too, I love how many people are still shocked when I tell them gaming makes much more money than film and has for at least 10 years. Hollywood's response to the competition has been a lot of remakes and reinterpretations instead of putting out original shit. I hate to see some of the great stories in gaming bastardized to fit into an hour and a half. I'll be so pissed if they ever make a film adaptation of Bioshock Infinite.

Portal? Really? The story is just a girl completing puzzles and shutting down a crazy ai. That's literally it. Portal 2 adds a bit of back story but honestly it's not something I'd make a movie about... it's good in a game, let it be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Portal? Really? The story is just a girl completing puzzles and shutting down a crazy ai. That's literally it. Portal 2 adds a bit of back story but honestly it's not something I'd make a movie about... it's good in a game, let it be.

There are references to Half Lifein Portal 2, so a movie could include both Aperture and Black Mesa

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

There are references to Half Lifein Portal 2, so a movie could include both Aperture and Black Mesa

And achieve what? A portal story with half life references or a half life story with portal references? The two stories are almost completely separate, being in the same universe doesn't mean they are part of the same narrative.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

And achieve what? A portal story with half life references or a half life story with portal references? The two stories are almost completely separate, being in the same universe doesn't mean they are part of the same narrative.

EP3 was supposed to bridge the two narratives, with the Borealis advanced research ship. You can see the docks for that ship in Portal 2.

I am very curious if they will release any more information on  the movie, I am still disappointed that the Bioshock movie was cancelled! 

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Portal? Really? The story is just a girl completing puzzles and shutting down a crazy ai. That's literally it.

Err, between Rat-man, Cave Johnson, "Caroline", and the Borealis, there is so much more to Portal than just "puzzles". If I recall right, *warning spoilers*

Spoiler

Aperture was a shower curtain company before it got involved with science. Then Glados ends up killing 'mostly' everybody with a deadly neurotoxin. The potato Chell grew for the "bring your child to work day", references "from dad's work" on the poster, which leads me to believe that Chells dad was a scientist.

There could easily be a movie with the plot being: Cave Johnson makes the shower company, then gets involved with science, then dies from moon dust, "Caroline" becomes Glados and kills Most of the scientists, but Rat-man survives, and Chell basically is trapped and is a lab rat for Glados, Cell then kills Glados and later powers Glados back on, then give s a moron robot full control of Aperture, but eventually gets it back to Glados, who then sends Chell to the surface(which, the "surface" might not even be real). Add a bunch of humor and nerds and their non nerdy friends will be lining up for miles. Add Half life references and the HL3 wet-dreams will return, and who doesn't want that?

(Note: Something previously mentioned might be false, it's been a while since I've geeked out over Portal.)

Portal 2 was a really popular game 'back in the day', tons of people will remember it when they see a "Portal" movie is coming. It would be easy to make its storyline entertaining to the masses while still appealing to the hardcore fans.

12 hours ago, ivan134 said:

An announcement of an announcement. Nice.

and the teaser trailer of the teaser trailer of the teaser trailer of the teaser trailer of the teaser trailer of the teaser trailer of the behind the scenes

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Well, considering Portal is relatively straight forward as a game, with really only 1 human character, I can expect something good... Since there will be no pointless "romance" thrown into the mix for no reason, hopefully anyway...

Though considering the game is all about puzzle solving to continue, how would that be adapted into a movie that isn't boring to watch.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Well, considering Portal is relatively straight forward as a game, with really only 1 human character, I can expect something good... Since there will be no pointless "romance" thrown into the mix for no reason, hopefully anyway...

Though considering the game is all about puzzle solving to continue, how would that be adapted into a movie that isn't boring to watch.

Soft saw?