Xiaomi new flagships: Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus

suicidalfranco

131401lvqp5exqzv5u2722.jpg.thumb.jpg

Damn Xiaomi! back at it again with the 400$ premium device.

Xiaomi has introduced their new mobile flagships the Mi 5s and 5s Plus. The Mi 5s is the smaller of the duo, sports a 5.15" 1080p screen, a SD821 SoC a 12MP Sony camera on he rear and 4MP on the front (also no camera humps :ph34r:), 3 or 4GB RAM, a 3200mAh battery and is the first phone to use Qualcomm's Sense ID technology for the fingerprint sensor, removing the need of a physical button to also serve as sensor leaving just just a sleek piece of glass.

194829oppixdjndl7ejtbh.jpg.thumb.jpg

194033vblpq9oc8jxc0j8c.jpg.thumb.jpg

Next is the 5s Plus, difference to the smaller brother is the 5.7" display, the 3800mAh battery, 4 or 6 GB of RAM and unlike the 5s will have the traditional fingerprint sensor on the back of the device and will also sport two 13MP Sony sensors (no camera humps here too :ph34r::ph34r:) on the back, the dual camera setup will function in the same way as Huawei P9 phone, one sensor dedicated to colours, the other for monochrome shots.

195049tj43vmkmvj3lo6f3.jpg.thumb.jpg

160111u8t89itu64ftuudn.jpeg.thumb.jpg

Prices start a 299$ for the 64GB with 3GB of RAM 5s and go up to 345$ for the 4GB of RAM with 128GB model. The 5s Plus will start at 345$ with 64GB of storage and 4GB of RAM and will jump 389$ for the 128GB and 6GB of RAM version. Both will be available in gray silver gold and pink rose gold. 

The unveil of this new devices has also give great emphasis on the camera performance of both phones, with sample available at the source.

source: http://en.miui.com/thread-361827-1-1.html

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Are things from "Xaomi" actually any good?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

2 minutes ago, vectorx5000 said:

they have flagship specs on these models, but I guess people just dont like their naming scheme and android skin because it is practical an apple clone. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

so.. i had to read to make sure it wasnt some apple knockoff...

and to be honest, they tick every box of an apple knockoff

- looks like an apple device, slightly thicker (this has been going back to iPod days)

- skinned android to look somewhat like ios.

- cheaper

- chinese

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. i had to read to make sure it wasnt some apple knockoff...

and to be honest, they tick every box of an apple knockoff

- looks like an apple device, slightly thicker (this has been going back to iPod days)

- skinned android to look somewhat like ios.

- cheaper

- chinese

Is it actually ok though? Or will it break in a month?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

Just now, vectorx5000 said:

my chinaPad still works at least one week per month, and i got that for free.

so i'm guessing a $400 phone should last long enough to wear out the battery before any other issues pop up :P

4 MP front cam?  But is it actually?  Because my shield tablet has a "5 MP" front cam, but like so many of the cameras and phones that got caught up in the megapixel war, they are that resolution in name only... the actual usable detail is far lower - about 0.5 MP in my case.  And that's ignoring the other issues like no dynamic range, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

49 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Looks almost like the iPhone, to the point where it also looks like it got rid of the headphone jack as well. :(

they haven't. it's on the top of the phone, no 1/8" drill bit needed

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The Mi phones never have the right LTE bands for the US, so I won't ever put down my money towards their flagships. Their Redmi Note line is good for a toy/backup phone, however. :D

That said, the Mi5S looks nothing like the iPhone, especially the Mi5S Plus, aside from the speaker grille (and top antenna line of the Mi5S). The camera's in a totally different place, the shape of the phone is completely different, the finish of the back is brushed, the bezels are thinner, fingerprint scanner placement is completely different, and the antenna lines are more HTC if anything else. You can argue that an Oppo R9, F1s or Meizu Pro6 look like an iPhone (same body shape, aluminum finish, home button placement, etc.), but saying the Mi5S like looks like an iPhone is a bit of a stretch imo.

2 hours ago, vectorx5000 said:

I have a Xiaomi <$100 phone that I bought a year ago, still fine even after dropping it quite a few times. (Ninja edit my wife uses it now sine I changed phone but only because I got a good deal with my provider)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

In the beginning Xiaomi was started as the home(china) grown Apple killer for the Chinese market. China promotes any domestic alternative to the international competition. Their clone products are really just meant to keep the chinese market from being a profit center for foreign companies.

So there used to be a likeness in their products to Apple's and ppl can still see that. These days most phones really look alike anyways. Everything is just gravitating to the optimal design and it doesn't matter who's brand it is, if a button is easier to press in a specific location on a phone... everyone should just put the button there, if a wider button/speaker/port... etc, etc.

While I'd like either of these, they won't officially release in any country that they could possibly lose a patent/copyright suit in.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

14 hours ago, vectorx5000 said:

Xioami are great to be honest!

Look at their action cameras the Yi and the Yi 4k - honestly the new 4k one is possibly one of the best action cameras on the market except for the new go pro hero 5 4k

Their smartphones are really nicely built with decent specs and seem to last just as long as any other major brand, if not better 

I have been seriously tempted to get one of their phones after my positive experience with the Yi camera

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A nice piece of hardware let down by a terrible software. 

16 hours ago, vectorx5000 said:

I have a Xiaomi Roidmi. Its a fm transmitter for cars. Works great.

But other than that I have no experiences with their products. 

That naming scheme. First time I see that. Xiamomi is such a creative company :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, Thony said:

That naming scheme. First time I see that. Xiamomi is such a creative company :)

1254569426412.jpg

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

Not huge enough upgrade to change from my Mi4 with CM13 and Redmi Note 3 i bought for my mom also never had any issue.

Used several of their products and didn't have any issues hardware wise like the Yi Action and Yi Dash cam also Mi Band 2, MIUI kinda sucks so better grab a custom ROM for you phone.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

19 hours ago, vectorx5000 said:

They are quite good for the money you spend on them

I got the Mi Headphone Pro, it costs me $16 and it sounds better than any IEM or headphones I've ever owned 

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar