Consumer Report: "iPhone 7 camera not better than 6S or 6S+"

iphone-camera-photos-100640204-large.jpg

For all those who got traded their old iPhone 6S/6S+ for the new ones and went out taking pictures of everything that fell on sight, for all those people consumer report seems to have some bad news. It seems like that their testing have shown that there basically is no difference between the two generations:

Overall, we found few significant improvements from Apple’s iPhone 6s cameras when it comes to still photography taken from the rear-facing 1x (non-zoom) cameras found on both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus,” Consumer Reports said noting that 1x zoom “did not outperform cameras on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.” It also said that it didn’t find discernible performance differences between last year’s phones and the iPhone 7 in lowlight situation. The flash, too, didn’t seem to boost much

Consumer report continues saying that the zoom on the 7+ gives sharper images and also found that the front facing camera on the 7+ performs better than the 7, which is weird considering that they supposedly use the same module 

source: http://www.consumerreports.org/smartphones/how-good-are-iphone-7-and-7-plus-cameras/

Edited by suicidalfranco
forgot source

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Interesting, so much for the stellar improvements they were boasting. Optical zoom is still pretty cool though, although as I stated multiple times the camera is the least of my concerns on a smartphone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Who really needs a zoom camera on a Phone, either move closer or buy a proper camera.

Because it's totally practical to drag my D7000 and multiple lenses with me every where I go. 

There are a lot of times when a zoom is important. And the vast majority of people ALWAYS have their phones on them; it's FAR rarer that they have their camera (if they even have a camera) on them. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because it's totally practical to drag my D7000 and multiple lenses with me every where I go. 

There are a lot of times when a zoom is important.

For me its either I carry nothing buy what is in my pockets or I carry a rucksack.

The only difference we managed to see between the iPhone 6S and 7 back camera was in low light, where the 7 was very slightly less grainy. 

8 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Who really needs a zoom camera on a Phone, either move closer or buy a proper camera.

Moving closer is not always possible.

Having the option for zoom is better than not having it.

In all the comparison shots and videos I've seen online the iPhone 7/7+ did look a bit better than the iPhone 6s/6s+ especially in low light, but it fell slightly short of the s7/s7 edge/Note 7 camera most of the time.

Still for my uses any of these are fine seeing as my iPhone 6 camera still serves my needs very well, the extra zoom from the iPhone 7+ is something that would be handy though, there have been situations in the past where I wish I had optical zoom on my phone. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Take note that pictures will look much better on the new "almost-perfect" LCD displays of the 7/7 Plus. Regardless, low light performance and especially video stabilization is absolute stellar so far, especially on the 7 that now has OIS and lower aperture. DetroitBorg covered that very nicely, on his divine garden. The Quad-Led flash is one of the most notable points on the camera's, alongside the telephoto lens on the 7 Plus. It is better, just not significantly enough for the human eye to discern the difference, being smaller than expected.

Groomlake Authority

Apple's just preparing us for the 2017 iPhone, there were some notable improvements like @VerticalDiscussions mentioned. Still this iPhone is worth the upgrade, I reckon next year Apple's going to wipe the floor with the competition.

I find it pointless to talk of cell phone cameras on a forum full of tech geeks. Too many 'use a real camera' posts. Discussion of cell phone cameras would be so much more productive on a parenting forum. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

21 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I find it pointless to talk of cell phone cameras on a forum full of tech geeks. Too many 'use a real camera' posts. Discussion of cell phone cameras would be so much more productive on a parenting forum. 

are you saying i should make a post about Xiaomi's entry in the photography market with their new mirror-less camera?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

are you saying i should make a post about Xiaomi's entry in the photography market with their new mirror-less camera?

No, I'm saying that there's a much larger segment of the population that the built in camera on cell phones is applicable to, and that they'd be better judges of whether the camera on the new iPhone 7 is 'worth the upgrade'. Half the comments here are "use a dslr". Comments like that show which ppl just don't get it, and their comments are pretty much worthless in their myopic world view.

Whether the 6s camera is the same as the 7 is the topic. Not 'use a dslr'. As far as I read it... if you've got a 6s there's no point in upgrading. But that's usually the case anyways as I'm assuming most ppl are on the 2 year replacement cycle anyways. All the 7 really gave us that bought a phone within the last year is a glimpse of what's to come with the 7s.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

On 20/09/2016 at 5:35 PM, dtaflorida said:

The people that say that are elitist idiots

heck even when I have my full frame Sony A7 on me, I still pull out my iPhone for certain photos, or if I go out without my camera my iPhone is very important

People who use the "use a real camera" argument should literally jump off a big cliff

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

The people that say that are elitist idiots

heck even when I have my full frame Sony A7 on me, I still pull out my iPhone for certain photos, or if I go out without my camera my iPhone is very important

People who use the "use a real camera" argument should literally jump off a big cliff

It's like trying to compare a laptop to a smartphone. Yes the laptop will be more powerful but I am not going to carry that around with me everything. It needs a separate bag, it's big and clunky, slower for simple things and so on.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's like trying to compare a laptop to a smartphone. Yes the laptop will be more powerful but I am not going to carry that around with me everything. It needs a separate bag, it's big and clunky, slower for simple things and so on.

Yeah

its like when somebody wants a small gaming laptop and people are like "get a massive gaming desktop and 82" 4k monitor with a VR headset"

its like,.. but I cant take that to work.....

My phone camera is used a hell of a lot, photos with the girlfriend, taking random snaps of shit, on nights out, on holidays when I cba lugging around my gear, for pano shots, slow motion and quick 4k video clips etc

Heck sometimes I will setup my phone to do a timelapse while I use my "proper camera" for other tasks

Fuck it ill just get a Phase One and an Arri Alexa with steadicam to carry around daily :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On 19/09/2016 at 4:35 PM, CaliJL said:

Apple's just preparing us for the 2017 iPhone, there were some notable improvements like @VerticalDiscussions mentioned. Still this iPhone is worth the upgrade, I reckon next year Apple's going to wipe the floor with the competition.

Eh. I'd make the argument that a 2015 phone will last you St least two years. Yes, nicer screen, but no jack, yes, good performance, but unexceptional battery life, etc. It seems like Apple is making unnecessary compromises and in doing so alienating some people who would've liked some of the features. 

- snip-

Don't see how this is either surprising or  bad... the 7 was clearly using an inferior camera version to the 7+, and Apple has already started reusing cameras as seen either the 5se.

Not that the previous camera was bad.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Umm, maybe no one has heard of a point-and-shoot?

Sony RX100 maybe? 

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Don't see how this is either surprising or  bad... the 7 was clearly using an inferior camera version to the 7+, and Apple has already started reusing cameras as seen either the 5se.

Not that the previous camera was bad.

Well, I would expect the camera in the 7 to be better than the one in ths 6s. Also, doesnt the 5se use the same (new at the time) camera that's in the 6s?

But that last bit is important -- even the 6s camera was excellent, so it's not that big of a deal. But if you're on the fence of the 7 vs. another phone, the camera could become the deciding factor.

1 hour ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Umm, maybe no one has heard of a point-and-shoot?

Sony RX100 maybe? 

Maybe i don't want to carry around a camera....If i was willing to, then I'd bring my dslr everywhere.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If they can improve post-processing and make it an iphone 7 exclusive feature artificially, it ammounts to the same end result: better pictures with the newer phone.

It's shitty I know, but come on, saying Apple makes shitty, outdated hardware is like stating the sun comes out everyday.

-------

Current Rig

-------

33 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If they can improve post-processing and make it an iphone 7 exclusive feature artificially, it ammounts to the same end result: better pictures with the newer phone.

It's shitty I know, but come on, saying Apple makes shitty, outdated hardware is like stating the sun comes out everyday.

Apple actually makes really good hardware. At least as far as the individual components goes. They seem quite mentally challenged when it comes to things like ports.

apple chargers.jpg

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Apple actually makes really good hardware.

Conceivably. But I've been watching enough Louis Rossmann videos on youtube to doubt even that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 20/09/2016 at 6:35 AM, CaliJL said:

that is like the line touted by fan boys every time someone points at a flaw, or lack of feature since the  2g

imo, it isn't, there isn't a gain really, and the phone without headphone jack is a step wrong for a large group of users 
(many people that talk on the phone, and use hands free alot while multitasking and travelling like a corded headset, less things to charge, less batteries needed, and less chance of missing something)

the removal of the jack, will lead to businesses dropping this phone as an option long term, and that was a market that apple spend along time getting into (tho I could almost bet real hard money that they will do another SE style