allegedly, HP InkJet printers have a pre-programmed fail date for 3rd party cartridges

zMeul

source: http://www.myce.com/news/hp-pre-programmed-failure-date-unofficial-non-hp-ink-cartridges-printers-80457/

via: https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/09/18/0013203/hp-printers-have-a-pre-programmed-failure-date-for-non-hp-ink-cartridges

myce-hp-error-message-670x447.jpg

Thousands of HP printers around the world started to show error messages on the same day, the 13th of September... HP printers with non-HP cartridges started to show the error message, "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged. Remove them and replace them with new cartridges"... When [Dutch online retailer 123ink] emailed their customers asking them if they wanted to check if their printer also had issues, they received replies from more than 1,000 customers confirming the issue... 

Consumers who complained to HP were told the error was caused by using non-HP cartridges. A day later HP withdrew that statement and explained the issues were a side effect of a firmware update, [but] printers without any internet access started to reject non-HP cartridges. Therefore it's very unlikely that a firmware update caused the issues and the only other logical explanation is that HP programmed a date in its firmware on which non-HP cartridges would no longer be accepted.

HP replied: http://www.myce.com/news/hp-officially-responds-pre-programmed-failure-date-non-hp-cartridges-80467/

“HP printers reject non-HP cartridges in several cases. This is protect innovation and intellectual property, but also to improve the safety of products for customers” , HP told the NOS in a statement. HP also added that, “the company indeed made changes to the software of several printer types”.

The changes are made according to HP, “to protect the printers and to protect the communication between the cartridge and the printer.”

“Affected printers will continue to work with refilled cartridges if they contain the original HP security chip. Other cartridges possibly don’t work”, HP added.

last time it was Epson who did some shit with their ink cartridges, not it's HP ... anyone surprised?!

they behave like drug dealers pushing out competition

my advice, want a printer? get a laser printer from Canon or whatever

if you have to print shit ton of color .. well .. you're fucked - there isn't any decent printer manufacturer who won't charge you an arm and a leg for original ink cartridges

Ink cartridges are the most stupendously overpriced things aside from bottled water and these: https://www.gucci.com/au/en_au/pr/women/womens-shoes/womens-moccasins-loafers/princetown-leather-slipper-p-397749DKHH01063?position=51&listName=ProductGridComponent&categoryPath=Women/Womens-Shoes/Womens-Moccasins-Loafers 

A little surprised to be honest, I didn't think HP would sink this low. Shame.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

26 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

My advise - Want to print something? Just go to an office depot near you and print there and let them deal with this crap because fuck printers: I am happy that we're almost able to be completely free from their bullshit in 2016.

I've done this several times for mail in rebates and I always end up paying close to 5$ by the time I'm done with them.  Their PCs are so slow I was "on the clock" for almost 2 minutes before I could pull up my flash drive.  Probably heading there today for another one actually : /

My parents actually gave me their old printer because it's out of ink and cost more to fill it than its worth lol

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

CISS or nothing is my rule

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

My advice is for people to STOP BUYING INKJET PRINTERS - FULL STOP.

HP makes some Kickass Laser Printers, so I have no trouble supporting that side of their business. This kinda sucks, but they're not the first to do this, and they wont be the last.

Anyone who needs to print general purpose colour? Buy a Colour Laser printer. Anyone who needs to print photos? Dude just go to Wal-Mart or your photo finishing studio of choice, you'll save a TONNNNN of money, and their service is faster too if you're printing a lot of stuff.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ah fuck, I've got one of them.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Not surprised we had an inkjet printer from them about 3 years ago that did that, our family has two printers a small hp inkjet and a color laser from hp and the inkjet is only turned on for scans.  For the laser we go through about one black toner a year a are still on the color we bought when we got the printer

I'm surprised people don't buy OEM consumables.  I only run orginal toner in my color laser.  When I had an ink jet, I only ran orginal cartridges.

Nothing that can't be solved with 3rd party firmware. Running one on my Samsung printer, no issues whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Anyone who needs to print general purpose colour? Buy a Colour Laser printer. Anyone who needs to print photos? Dude just go to Wal-Mart or your photo finishing studio of choice, you'll save a TONNNNN of money, and their service is faster too if you're printing a lot of stuff.

I do agree, but to a degree. Rhyme  

That my be a problem, I've been looking into laser color AIOs for my brother-in-law for quite some time, who happens to be a graphical designer, and they are quite hard to find, good ones, without breaking the bank, with the specific things that he needs, at least here. On the other side, I've had people recommending me, for instance, Canon G2400 which you fill directly with ink that costs $10 per color and it can print up to 6k-7k pages. Seriously, it's that cheap, with official ink. And some good non laser AIOs are on par with laser models, and cost significantly less. Even more importantly, you can fix ink-jets quite often yourself since they have much less complex "structure" than laser printers. And not because they tend to break often. :P And most importantly, the print can be so good, you might not even know it's not a laser.

It's a bit complicating than that, because even with it being a laser printer, doesn't mean it has to be better than ink-jet for instance. It mostly depends on the budget imo. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

21 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

I'm surprised people don't buy OEM consumables.  I only run orginal toner in my color laser.  When I had an ink jet, I only ran orginal cartridges.

Part of the reason is cost. You can get an OEM ink cartridge, for say, $40, and a third party one could be $15.

One could argue that the quality of the ink is guaranteed with OEM, and that's probably true, but not all third party ink will be garbage either.

Personally, I usually stick with well known third party cartridges for my laser, or I buy original OEM. I stay away from refills or refurbished.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"Innovation and intellectual properties"

forgive me while I laugh my ass off. Innovation? It's a fucking ink cartridge, cut the bs hp.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

"Innovation and intellectual properties"

forgive me while I laugh my ass off. Innovation? It's a fucking ink cartridge, cut the bs hp.

oh but it is innovative. it empties faster then other equally sized cartridges, whilst costing 4 times more. But wait there is more! If you buy two cartridges, you get 5% off a third one, which will dry out before you can even put it to use!.

Its fantastic!

And none of the competing brands can match our features

Also for some reason, this remind me of the game "let's decide how much ink you can use". When you buy a new printer, mine for instance, it comes with a cartridge naturally, but it says it has ink for 400 pages, while in reality it's full for 700 pages but you can't use it. Custom firmware and voilà, you get more ink. Magic. 

I know Samsung does it and iirc a few more do as well. 

24 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Nothing that can't be solved with 3rd party firmware. Running one on my Samsung printer, no issues whatsoever. 

I do agree, but to a degree. Rhyme  

That my be a problem, I've been looking into laser color AIOs for my brother-in-law for quite some time, who happens to be a graphical designer, and they are quite hard to find, good ones, without breaking the bank, with the specific things that he needs, at least here. On the other side, I've had people recommending me, for instance, Canon G2400 which you fill directly with ink that costs $10 per color and it can print up to 6k-7k pages. Seriously, it's that cheap, with official ink. And some good non laser AIOs are on par with laser models, and cost significantly less. And even more importantly, you can fix ink-jets quite often yourself since they have much less complex "structure" than laser printers. And not because they tend to break often. :P

It's a bit complicating than that, because even with it being a laser printer, doesn't mean it has to be better than ink-jet for instance. It mostly depends on the budget imo. 

All good points - but I most point out that your Brother-in-law is definitely a minority, because he's a Graphic Designer. He'll need that extra quality and photo-realistic printing that most people don't.

That does seem like a good printer for his needs. It must be a European model or something though, as I don't see it listed on Amazon.ca or .com.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

All good points - but I most point out that your Brother-in-law is definitely a minority, because he's a Graphic Designer. He'll need that extra quality and photo-realistic printing that most people don't.

That does seem like a good printer for his needs. It must be a European model or something though, as I don't see it listed on Amazon.ca or .com.

Oh absolutely I agree, but most of it can be used for "common people". If an ink jet printer, not too expensive one, is good for a person like him, I'd bet that most people would be satisfied as well. Now if he had more money, he would go all out, goes without saying.

I can see it on Canon Europe and Canon South Africa, but nothing more than that.

I've worked with enough jobber, aftermarket parts over the years to know that OEM is always worth the money if you consider all the details of long term use.

They are all doing the same shady shit. I had to download a program for a few bucks which changed the software in my Samsung laser printer (sxc 3205) to accept 3rd party cartridges

I don't know why you would think it's shady for a company to protect their intellectual property.

8 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

They are all doing the same shady shit. I had to download a program for a few bucks which changed the software in my Samsung laser printer (sxc 3205) to accept 3rd party cartridges

Where did you get this program from? Samsung directly? Or some third party?

They aren't the only ones, but generally my printers don't run stock software so I can avoid my printer yelling at me about ink when it just was changed

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful