My laptop has a QUAD CORE? Is it SUPPOSED TO?

I thought all but the highest end mobile intel cpus were hyperthreaded dual cores.

But no, it turns out my sandy bridge laptop has a quad core i7!

IMG_20160914_205115.jpg

The laptop is an asus x53e, don't hate on me because of the brand, I got it for a good price.

But... its also got a 35w nvidia gfx chip, so couple that with the 45w intel, thats 80 watts of TDP. In a laptop.

Umm... Something seems... off. Is this thing supposed to handle this cpu?

Uh no, laptops can have quad-cores too.

80W TDP for both CPU and GPU is nothing.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

quad core i7 laptops are ballin', i have two of them :D

it's something that's going way down in popularity because people want thinner, lighter, more battery life, and.. what is a quad core? why do i need it? this one is pink and it looks cool :o

That cpu is sort of the best you could get from that generation for notebooks.

Today cpu's need such low power they put desktop cpu's in notebooks.

They are so efficient they can make that work today :D

Also overclocking is getting more common in notebooks, never expected it so soon tbh.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

They have made hyperthreaded quad cores for pretty much all of the generations, usually it is the i5s that are the dual cores.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I think its suppose to...

it is a i7. The dual core thing only applies to i5s.

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

1 minute ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

I think its suppose to...

it is a i7. The dual core thing only applies to i5s.

No there are dual core mobile i7s, it is what they put in macbooks.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

completely normal 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Keyword there is that that is what they put in macbooks. Apple likes people to pay $2000 for a macbook that has a dual core and 4gb ram. Fortunately on windows its a different story and companies (depends on what company) will put full fledged quad cores in laptops.  

Are there any 6 or 8 core intel core i7 laptops>

6 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Keyword there is that that is what they put in macbooks. Apple likes people to pay $2000 for a macbook that has a dual core and 4gb ram. Fortunately on windows its a different story and companies (depends on what company) will put full fledged quad cores in laptops.  

Plenty of other companies use them as well.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Dell, hp, asus, and many other laptop makes also will use them for low powerlaptop, but they are most commonly found on macbooks. Apple uses dual cores because they use less power then the quad cores, and can be cooler easier, not to scam people.

Also "Windows" doesn't make laptops it an OS, you can buy chromebooks which don't have windows, or they even sell laptops with Linux.

1 minute ago, Centurius said:

Plenty of other companies use them as well.

I know they do but they don't charge $298389237598723589327598327589237523503496097 for it...

6 minutes ago, Boson said:

No, they would be too hard to cool, and pointless, get a desktop if you need that much power.

10 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

I know they do but they don't charge $298389237598723589327598327589237523503496097 for it...

Yes they do, ultrabooks are by and large not much cheaper than Macbooks.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

34 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

You can also find dual-core i7s in older Thinkpads (T410 - T430, before the ULV CPU switchover) and ultrabooks.

I have a would have a laptop with a 6 watt pentium n3700 quad core. Much lower end chip, and I believe i's intel's first generation with a low end quad core chip. Just a shame dell won't give me my laptop back :(

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I thought all but the highest end mobile intel cpus were hyperthreaded dual cores.

But no, it turns out my sandy bridge laptop has a quad core i7!

The laptop is an asus x53e, don't hate on me because of the brand, I got it for a good price.

But... its also got a 35w nvidia gfx chip, so couple that with the 45w intel, thats 80 watts of TDP. In a laptop.

Umm... Something seems... off. Is this thing supposed to handle this cpu?

All the "QM" or "Q anything" laptop chips are quad-cores :)

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

All the "QM" or "Q anything" laptop chips are quad-cores :)

I guessed as much. What I am wondering is why my laptop has power delivery issue under heavy load...

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

If the laptop only has a standard 60 W power adapter, that may be why :)

I've got it on a 90W power adapter, and I have even tried it on a 150W supply and it still had issues.

Under heavy load, it not only stops charging, but it stops running off AC altogether for a second. This results in my backlighting going bright and dim unless I have battery/AC brightness the same

4 hours ago, Boson said:

Not that I know of. I doubt it, since they would probably have to run at such low clock speeds that they may be pointless.

Desktop 6–12 core i7's are 140 Watt chips. And even most of those have relatively low clock speeds to stay within that higher TDP.

aside from the relatively new chips, i dont think i have ever seen a dual core i7 in a laptop. Speaking of which, my asus n53sm has the same cpu :P.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz