iPhone 7 - Performance Results

TheReal1980
11 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

That's like why is the One Plus 3 better than the Axon 7. On paper the Axon 7 beats the OP3. But there are no reviews that say it's better than an OP3. 

See what I did there? I removed Apple from the equation so you can now look your question objectively.

What about the S7 Edge. It has a 1440p screen and nobody says the One plus 3 is better.

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

What you mean? Whats the difference between Pentile and RGB pixel layout? I honestly havent even noticed the pixels on my current S6 Diamond Pentile display...?

While it does lower the subpixel count, it also leaves a green tint particularly when displaying white. 

RGB = 3 subpixels (the colors are obvious) 

Pentile = 2 subpixels (rg, bg) 

As you can see, there is the 'correct' number of green subpixels but it ends up drowning out the other subpixels. So Samsung uses advanced subpixel layouts and lots of fine tuning and lots of tricks to make the display appear normal. They're essentially trying to combat physics if you ask me. Pentile is obviously easier to make and probably have some advantages such as power efficiency due to reduced total subpixels. With increased resolution it's easier to hide because the pixel density increases which means the pixels are so close together they can almost trick the eye into resembling rgb but not completely; the green will still dominate and the human eye is more sensitive to green as well. 

29 minutes ago, Overkilled said:

What about the S7 Edge. It has a 1440p screen and nobody says the One plus 3 is better.

You're ignoring the point. The point is, it is possible for a lower resolution to be better than a higher resolution. Big numbers in this specific spec have limited effect upon an actual user. And by removing Apple from the discussion of this, ppl take their heads out of their asses and actually accept this.

As for the S7, well whatever made the OP3 better than the Axon7 must be present in the S7. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Exactly. I don't know why people are so upset with one lightning port at the bottom...

People using their phone while charging that often is addicted to cell phones...... Learn to control yourself..lol 

*BUT if I played mobile games AT ALL, I would. If I'm tethered to a wall I guess a huge adapter can't hurt too much. Why they didn't just replace the port confuses me

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

43 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

*BUT if I played mobile games AT ALL, I would. If I'm tethered to a wall I guess a huge adapter can't hurt too much. Why they didn't just replace the port confuses me

I see... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 9/14/2016 at 9:15 PM, Sauron said:

So you admit you didn't watch the video and you ""heard"" about some geekbench results, and yet I'm bringing out bullshit? Inform yourself before replying, it doesn't make your argument any more appealing when you make up things.

I heard as in I read the news when published, not from a source like you. But everything else I stated is a fact and you know it. You should probably take news from multiple sources before jumping into conclusions just from one video.

Again never said Apple's chip tops every single benchmark rather just takes the crown in the overall results especially in single core where it matter's the most 

Oh and btw, here you go

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_7_runs_antutu_takes_the_crown-news-20468.php

http://bgr.com/2016/09/13/iphone-7-vs-iphone-6s-vs-galaxy-note-7-antutu/

Again, its no secret that Apple's single core performance has always topped the charts and they still remain the top, beating Apple's A9X chip which itself was a marvel at the time

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/08/iphone-7-plus-3gb-ram-geekbench-benchmark/

And please, at least I admit if I'm wrong or don't know what exactly I'm talking about, so rather than just emphasizing the fact that I didn't watch the video i would like a detailed answer of about what aspects aren't facts in my previous reply

Edit: I was wrong the iPhone even beats everything else at multi core despite geekbench reading only the two high performance cores

geekbench.png

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/09/14/geekbench-android-a10

Does performance benching even matter to mobile anymore? It's unlikely it's gonna get very stressed in everyday use. What I'd want to see is battery results.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. No-ones gonna buy this anyway outside of a few select coffee shops. 

- snip-

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Does performance benching even matter to mobile anymore? It's unlikely it's gonna get very stressed in everyday use. What I'd want to see is battery results.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. No-ones gonna buy this anyway outside of a few select coffee shops. 

Yes to some degree, if they can make things both faster and also more energy efficient

also it pushes things like mobile gaming, mobile VR etc forwards - also a future where your phone is powerful enough to be your entire PC for all your day to day things

Yeah . im sure the iPhone 7 will sell like crazy, Ive got mine on order, as have a lot of people I know, and the queues outside the stores like normal and the difficulty getting pre-order stock - dont be silly it will sell very well

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

13 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes to some degree, if they can make things both faster and also more energy efficient

also it pushes things like mobile gaming, mobile VR etc forwards - also a future where your phone is powerful enough to be your entire PC for all your day to day things

Yeah . im sure the iPhone 7 will sell like crazy, Ive got mine on order, as have a lot of people I know, and the queues outside the stores like normal and the difficulty getting pre-order stock - dont be silly it will sell very well

OH no, I agree that's it is an important aspect of the phone, but I'm saying your average consumer doesn't know or care. I know we're not the average consumer though. 

Maybe I took that a bit over the top. It's obviously gonna sell (it's and iPhone ffs) but most of the comments from my non-technical friends are along the lines of "no jack, not gonna buy" or "apple is going downhill" etc. Think this might be the beginning of the end of apples dominance. 

- snip-

Just now, MrDynamicMan said:

OH no, I agree that's it is an important aspect of the phone, but I'm saying your average consumer doesn't know or care. I know we're not the average consumer though. 

Maybe I took that a bit over the top. It's obviously gonna sell (it's and iPhone ffs) but most of the comments from my non-technical friends are along the lines of "no jack, not gonna buy" or "apple is going downhill" etc. Think this might be the beginning of the end of apples dominance. 

Yes but tech friends and none tech friends can still be ignorant

Ive worked in retail and know exactly how customers think, heck some people would come in for an android tablet, and because they had only heard of samsung, they would literally buy no other product even if the only samsung tablet was like the shittest one in the store "Well ive heard of samsung galaxy, nothing else will suit me"

I really doubt that simply removing a headphone jack will be the downfall of apple - everyone said that before when they removed things, and yet they have gone from strength to strength!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes but tech friends and none tech friends can still be ignorant

Ive worked in retail and know exactly how customers think, heck some people would come in for an android tablet, and because they had only heard of samsung, they would literally buy no other product even if the only samsung tablet was like the shittest one in the store "Well ive heard of samsung galaxy, nothing else will suit me"

I really doubt that simply removing a headphone jack will be the downfall of apple - everyone said that before when they removed things, and yet they have gone from strength to strength!

Fair enough. My friend group is basically a bunch of college kids, I'll take your word for it. 

- snip-

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Fair enough. My friend group is basically a bunch of college kids, I'll take your word for it. 

Ive just seen it a billion times

I mean the headphone jack thing annoys me too, im not defending apple, I am just stating that it really wont effect much in terms of sales

and it seems the industry feels strongly about moving forward away from 3,5mm which we are basically powerless to stop 

Honestly if the benefits come from removing it, then I am happy to move forward too

On 14/09/2016 at 9:37 PM, Sauron said:

I have already posted the numbers that prove the opposite, but even if I hadn't the burden of proof falls on the one that made the claim - which would be you.

Sure buddy... 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Just now, patrick3027 said:

Sure buddy... 

Maybe you should check which chips I refer to before posting a video that has nothing to do with them. The sd 820 is 6 months old.

Geekbench-3-Snapdragon-820-vs-exynos-8890

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've always preferred faster single cores but I'm not complaining that the latest iPhone now crushes in multi core too. Apple's chip team is really under appreciated.

Cheetah fast phones, summarized...

Im not sure if people were expecting anything less from Apple's CPU's lol.

Groomlake Authority

For a company like Apple to lead in single core performance is just laughable.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

47 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

For a company like Apple to lead in single core performance is just laughable.

How so? Apple's CPUs have always been topping the performance charts. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Another 'irrelevant' benchmark and the iPhone 7 trashes the Note 7.

The iPhone 7 finishes in under 2 minutes while the Note 7 finishes in over 3 minutes. (1:40 vs. 3:14)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 9/19/2016 at 9:15 AM, djdwosk97 said:

Another 'irrelevant' benchmark and the iPhone 7 trashes the Note 7.

The iPhone 7 finishes in under 2 minutes while the Note 7 finishes in over 3 minutes. (1:40 vs. 3:14)

It's important to note that this is as much a condemnation of Samsung's overly aggressive memory management as anything.  With that said: it's clear that simply throwing more cores and RAM at a phone doesn't make it faster.  Overall CPU efficiency, software overhead and other factors play a large part.

On 9/14/2016 at 8:39 AM, djdwosk97 said:

The retina moniker originally came from the iPhone (specficially the iPhone 4). I agree, 720p/1080p is more than enough on a 4.7"/5.5" screen. Anything else is just for the sake of e-peen (or you have your phone WAY to close to your face). 

Although, I do personally find 1080p too low for a laptop -- but that's because of a lack of space more than being able to see pixels. 

I disagree. 1080p on the iPhone 7 plus is fine, but the 720p on the iPhone 7 is not.

On 20/09/2016 at 7:56 PM, thecreativename said:

I disagree. 1080p on the iPhone 7 plus is fine, but the 720p on the iPhone 7 is not.

Why? i have an iphone 6 currently until my 7+ arrives

there is nothing wrong with the fidelity of the display

10 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Why? i have an iphone 6 currently until my 7+ arrives

there is nothing wrong with the fidelity of the display

Because I can see pixels just fine on the iPhone 7. It's been a problem for me since the iPhone 5, and it still is a problem today.

1 hour ago, thecreativename said:

Because I can see pixels just fine on the iPhone 7. It's been a problem for me since the iPhone 5, and it still is a problem today.

I still think its sharp enough 95% of the time at normal distances

The Apple SoC will be better in 95% of apps. The only place would be in a heavy gaming load that, somehow, will actually use those 4 cores. Do you guys not understand just how hard it is to multithread an application in the first place? Let alone do it correctly. Instagram doesn't need 4 cores. It needs one good one. Mobile web browsing MIGHT use 2. Snapchat - 1. Camera - 1. Reddit- Maybe 2. GTA - Possibly 3-4. Angry Birds - 1. @Sauron is FAR out weighing multi-core in the mobile work space. Shit. Even just NOW are we getting games that use more than maybe 2 or 3 on the desktop side. But if you notice, if you care to see facts, that the difference between the 6600k and the 6700k is still EXTREMELY close. Phone's don't need high core counts. They need fast dual cores. The Apple SoC, in a day to day usage case, is the better chip period.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.