iPhone 7/7+ Verge Review

randomhkkid
43 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I agree, there is a lot that you can do with $200....however, your argument was based on the extra $200 being unaffordable. There is no situation where a 32gb iPhone 7 is affordable but a 256gb iPhone 7 is not. If you can swing the money to buy one, then you can sure as shit swing an extra $200.

Not to mention the fact that you can easily pay the device off over a 24 month period anyway (without paying any interest). So you're talking $850 ($36/month) for the 256gb iPhone 7 vs. $650 ($27/month) for the 32gb. So it's $200 spread out over a 24 month period, so my point is even further validated....if $9/month is too much then you need to reevalute some decisions. 

I am not saying that it is not affordable, I am saying that it is an extra expense, a potential 'surprise expense' added to the phone.

As for payment, that is the worst way to thing of things, this is like buying a car, where the dealership goes "But it only 1$ per week!", trying to push you a higher end model or options. The cost of the phone is distributed per monthly plan. While granted in the US and Canada we have pretty sucky plans, but in general, you do pay less per month if you buy the phone in full, and you have the power to change provider as you will, which gives you negotiating power and not toss around as much when they screw up the billing, as they know you can just cancel and leave to another company, as you are not locked in for 2 years with them, not to mention you pick any plan you want, and not limited to select set of plans, or just 1 plan to get any offers.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am not saying that it is not affordable, I am saying that it is an extra expense, a potential 'surprise expense' added to the phone.

As for payment, that is the worst way to thing of things, this is like buying a car, where the dealership goes "But it only 1$ per week!", trying to push you a higher end model or options. The cost of the phone is distributed per monthly plan. While granted in the US and Canada we have pretty sucky plans, but in general, you do pay less per month if you buy the phone in full, and you have the power to change provider as you will, which gives you negotiating power and not toss around as much when they screw up the billing, as they know you can just cancel and leave to another company, as you are not locked in for 2 years with them.

That's not true, at least not on Verizon. I had a choice of either paying $850 or $35.41/month. And if I want to change carriers, then I just have to pay of the remainder of the $850 and then I can switch. So no matter how I go about it, I have the same freedom and I'm paying the same amount. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's not true, at least not on Verizon. I had a choice of either paying $850 or $35.41/month. And if I want to change carriers, then I just have to pay of the remainder of the $850 and then I can switch. So no matter how I go about it, I have the same freedom and I'm paying the same amount. 

No you don't. Because this is a psychological thing at work. The mass majority of people are not in financial situation to pay the remaining amount, because they spend too much on extras that should not be needed if they a product that better fit their needs and budget...

It is always best to pay everything first, the most you can (obviously buying a house or a car in whole is a different story for most people). The problem is that when you pay in settlements, you lose due to the depreciation value which isn't considered. So technically, it should be $35.41 the first month, then $35 the second month, and 34.80 the following month, and so on. For things like a house, that is an investment, so that is fine. For cars, well cars is the worst purchase one can do, but no choice. But for technology, it is like cars, where depreciation value kicks in, especially if the product is not in mint condition. So you pay an amount.

6 hours ago, o0Martin said:

Well that is a 6 year old device, and if by using it as a digital clock you mean it sits there with the display on and only shows the clock, then it's no wonder an old AMOLED panel would suffer burn in and a non OLED iPad would not :D

Just wanted to chip in, the Samsung Galaxy devices as well as a couple recent tablets that I have demoed at my stored all have really bad burn in caused by the demo software. And I'm talking Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, burn in was an issue within a couple weeks.

It's still a relevant issue.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

People always get so riled up over Apple products...damn.

Honestly, I want one. I miss my 4S, and the sheer convenience of the ecosystem.

My OnePlus One 64GB was great for a year, but then Cyanogen mod stopped giving it as much attention; as they ended their partnership with OnePlus.

Having bounced between iOS and Android a fair few times, I honestly just prefer iOS for my daily driver. If I was to get a new phone it'll be the 7 Plus, despite it's silly choices for audio jack and the rest. 

Heck I'm still using an iPad 2, and it's still going strong.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

9 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I am not sure where you got that its slower? i believe the A10 is more powerful than the A9X in the iPad pro which wipes the floor with any smartphone, even close to competing with a surface pro 4 i5 - the A10 is possible even on par

The camera is not gimmicky, not to those of us that value having a good quality camera in our pocket, - if it takes good photos and 4k video, it replaces an RX100 style camera, and means for casual shooting I dont need my big gear

iPad-Pro-charts.004.png

Hate to break it to you but Geekbench scores on PC and Mobile are not comparable. They use different tests.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

16 minutes ago, Suika said:

Just wanted to chip in, the Samsung Galaxy devices as well as a couple recent tablets that I have demoed at my stored all have really bad burn in caused by the demo software. And I'm talking Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, burn in was an issue within a couple weeks.

It's still a relevant issue.

But yeah that's with demo software. In your signature it says your current device is the s7 right? Has your personal s7 (I don't know how long you've owned it for) had any issues caused by the panel type being OLED? 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No you don't. Because this is a psychological thing at work. The mass majority of people are not in financial situation to pay the remaining amount, because they spend too much on extras that should not be needed if they a product that better fit their needs and budget.. like you know.. don't by an iPhone 7 where you have all these potential extra costs. It is poor decision. It is always best to pay everything first, the most you can (obviously buying a house or a car in whole is a different story for most people)

But again, your original argument was "people who can't afford the extra $200". The argument is moot because if they can't afford the extra $200 they can't afford the phone or the service in the first place. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you can buy anything with 0%apr it's better than paying up front, depreciation is a non-factor either way you pay the price of the item.

The money thatyou don't spend immediately on the product however accrues intrest and if your smart you get Cashback on  direct debits so you actually pay maybe 1-3% less.

Cant be shared enough.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But again, your original argument was "people who can't afford the extra $200". The argument is moot because if they can't afford the extra $200 they can't afford the phone or the service in the first place. 

That is right.. most people can't. But if they go with other phones, they don't have this unexpected cost.

9 minutes ago, Uzukami said:

If you can buy anything with 0%apr it's better than paying up front, depreciation is a non-factor either way you pay the price of the item.

The money thatyou don't spend immediately on the product however accrues intrest and if your smart you get Cashback on  direct debits so you actually pay maybe 1-3% less.

Doesn't matter. It is still cheaper to get a micro-SD card. Not to mention that you are locked in to a payment program, so if you can't pay due to financial changes (loss of job, or something) you are screwed. While not being on contract, you already paid the phone before when you could, and you can just cancel or switch plans or change provider at any time. No additional fees for breach of contract (that some provided do), or any hidden fees. Not to mention, you are not locked in to a specific plan, allowing you to pick the exact plan for your needs, making you save money, which if you don't fall perfectly into the plan, can be seen as interest that you will not pay (basically you pay what you need, not extra for things you won't use). And you can dynamically adjust your plan option with ease each month. Maybe you plan to travel away for a month, so you can cancel your service for that time. Great if you have a job that has long period traveling. Or maybe you plan to come to Canada (say you are in the US) you can stop your plan for 1-2 weeks (many providers, at least in Canada, offer this). in my case, I can switch to a plan where I get to not only do long distance but have data without long distance charges, for some small fee (I forgot what it was, but I think it was like 7$ on a month that you add)

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is right.. most people can't. But if they go with other phones, they don't have this unexpected cost.

There is no unexpected cost..... Just say whatever you need to say to support your argument, no matter how stupid it may be. 

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Doesn't matter. It is still cheaper to get a micro-SD card. Not to mention that you are locked in to a payment program, so if you can't pay due to financial changes (loss of job, or something) you are screwed. While not being on contract, you already paid the phone before when you could, and you can just cancel or switch plans or change provider at any time. No additional fees for breach of contract (that some provided do), or any hidden fees. Not to mention, you are not locked in to a specific plan, allowing you to pick the exact plan for your needs, making you save money.

So what you're saying is the iPhone is a bad product to buy becuase the consumer may be a moron. K

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There is no unexpected cost..... Just say whatever you need to say to support your argument, no matter how stupid it may be. 

Suuuuure. Continue telling you that.. it's not my financial situation.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So what you're saying is the iPhone is a bad product to buy becuase the consumer may be a moron. K

I didn't say that the iPhone is a bad product. I just said that 3.5mm jack and lack of microSD card expansion has meaning at a financial level.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Suuuuure. Continue telling you that.. it's not my financial situation.

I didn't say that the iPhone is a bad product. I just said that 3.5mm jack and lack of microSD card expansion has meaning at a financial level.

But it only has a financial impact if you're a moron and overextending beyond your means.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But it only has a financial impact if you're a moron and overextending beyond your means.

Point is-not having expandable storage (even support for a USB stick via an adapter) and a 3.5mm jack adds extra costs on top of the phone. Just like with the Xbox One and PS4 with Live and PS Plus.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, Valentyn said:

People always get so riled up over Apple products...damn.

Honestly, I want one. I miss my 4S, and the sheer convenience of the ecosystem.

My OnePlus One 64GB was great for a year, but then Cyanogen mod stopped giving it as much attention; as they ended their partnership with OnePlus.

Having bounced between iOS and Android a fair few times, I honestly just prefer iOS for my daily driver. If I was to get a new phone it'll be the 7 Plus, despite it's silly choices for audio jack and the rest. 

Heck I'm still using an iPad 2, and it's still going strong.

if I could, I would shell out the money for an iPhone 4 design with a 4.7" screen and the looks of the old iOS. Dream phone.

8 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

if I could, I would shell out the money for an iPhone 4 design with a 4.7" screen and the looks of the old iOS. Dream phone.

5/5s/5se is where it was at. I'd love a 5.5" 5. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hate to break it to you but Geekbench scores on PC and Mobile are not comparable. They use different tests.

That isnt breaking it to me, I was just trying to point out that the A10 wouldnt be slow >< 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

9 hours ago, o0Martin said:

But yeah that's with demo software. In your signature it says your current device is the s7 right? Has your personal s7 (I don't know how long you've owned it for) had any issues caused by the panel type being OLED? 

No issues here, had mine for going on 7 months. In store it's probably more having the screen on auto brightness leading to the 'brightness boost' always being on max due to the harsh lighting, a sure way to kill almost any screen.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

seriously why are mods adding fuel to the fire instead of shutting these shit show threads down?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

That isnt breaking it to me, I was just trying to point out that the A10 wouldnt be slow >< 

I doubt that it's at A9X level though.........

It's 50% than A9 in CPU perf but probably still slower than A9X in GPU perf. Remember the A9X is dual core A9 but like 28% higher clock speed and double GPU perf.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I doubt that it's at A9X level though.........

It's 50% than A9 in CPU perf but probably still slower than A9X in GPU perf. Remember the A9X is dual core A9 but like 28% higher clock speed and double GPU perf.

On AnTuTu, the iPhone 7 scored a mega 178,397, which just about puts every other phone to shame. It’s far higher than the 133,781 scored by the iPhone 6S (33% improvement), and also trumps the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (134,599), the OnePlus 3 (140,388), and the HTC 10 (133,217).

if it doesnt beat it, its still insanely powerful 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

seriously why are mods adding fuel to the fire instead of shutting these shit show threads down?

Have you not seen any windows 10 related threads? 

And for whatever reason, only Intel vs. AMD shitshows seem to get shutdown. Everything else is just allowed to go to....well, shit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't recall there having been so much noise when the Note 7 launched. Combined with the battery problem there's got to be a boost in salty Android users with an ax to grind.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS