Laptop and Desktop PC sharing the same GPU

I'm thinking about both building a new Desktop PC, and buying a Gaming Laptop.

The Razer Blade with a GTX 1060 seemed like a nice sleek option, but then I started thinking about getting a Razer Blade Stealth + Razer Core as it would run quieter, faster, it's slimmer and I could pick and upgrade any GPU I want.

Then that lead me to think, if I'm building a desktop PC too, why would I buy another GPU when I already have one in a Razer Core? I could build an extremely slim Desktop PC and hook it up to the Core for gaming.

So is it possible to use a Razer Core with a Desktop PC? Would that lower gaming performance? And what do you think about that as an option, would you consider it yourself?

Using the Razer Core on ANY configuration, from the worst to the most powerful makes you lose some performance. If you get a good graphics card, that's negligible, tho. Theoretically, if you have a motherboard that natively supports Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C, you should be able to use the Razer Core on the desktop as well as on the laptop (one at a time only)

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

20 minutes ago, TristanKing said:
Spoiler

The Razer Blade with a GTX 1060 seemed like a nice sleek option, but then I started thinking about getting a Razer Blade Stealth + Razer Core as it would run quieter, faster, it's slimmer and I could pick and upgrade any GPU I want.

Then that lead me to think, if I'm building a desktop PC too, why would I buy another GPU when I already have one in a Razer Core? I could build an extremely slim Desktop PC and hook it up to the Core for gaming.

So is it possible to use a Razer Core with a Desktop PC? Would that lower gaming performance? And what do you think about that as an option, would you consider it yourself?

11 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Using the Razer Core on ANY configuration, from the worst to the most powerful makes you lose some performance. If you get a good graphics card, that's negligible, tho. Theoretically, if you have a motherboard that natively supports Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C, you should be able to use the Razer Core on the desktop as well as on the laptop (one at a time only)

There aren't many motherboards with Thunderbolt 3 controllers or Thunderbolt 3 headers (to use a ThunderboltEX3 card for example) and you could literally buy the Blade stealth AND a beefy desktop PC for what you'd have to pay for a compatible motherboard with Thunderbolt or a motherboard and Thunderbolt card and the Core. The numbers just don't add up with a configuration like this.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

24 minutes ago, TristanKing said:

Steer clear of Razer products. They're bad. They're just plain bad. @Dackzy will tell you so. >w>

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

1 hour ago, Imglidinhere said:

Steer clear of Razer products. They're bad. They're just plain bad. @Dackzy will tell you so. >w>

You mean:

- No quality control, so you might get one that is broken from the start

- All of them thermal throttle and then performance drops a lot

- Bad build quality, sure they use nice materials, but what does that help if they cannot put them well together

- The keyboard is very meh for the price, it should be on a 600$ laptop, not 2k

- Their support is a joke, I work with fixing laptops and I have explained things about their own blade to them for over a hour, fucking great, that is worse than Asus.

Also the 1060 model runs at 93-95c while playing overwatch, it throttles and the performance goes a lot down and yet it is still 90c+, you can even hear the fans over all of the other people talking, that is a very noisy room.

Pascal is hot, very hot and there are very few laptop that can run pascal fine, if you want a laptop that can cool pascal fine look at clevo laptops, they are thicker, but they can cool pascal fairly well.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

36 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You mean:

- No quality control, so you might get one that is broken from the start

- All of them thermal throttle and then performance drops a lot

- Bad build quality, sure they use nice materials, but what does that helo if they cannot put them well together

- The keyboard is very meh for the price, it should be on a 600$ laptop, not 2k

- Their support is a joke, I work with fixing laptops and I have explained things about their own blade to them for over a hour, fucking great, that is worse than Asus.

Also the 1060 model runs at 93-95c while playing overwatch, it throttles and the performance goes a lot down and yet it is still 90c+, you can even here the fans over all of the other people talking, that is a very noisy room.

Pascal is hot, very hot and there are very few laptop that can run pascal fine, if you want a laptop that can cool pascal fine look at clevo laptops, they are thicker, but they can cool pascal fairly well.

Seriously? Razer products seem fine to me. Point me to another QHD+, GTX 1060, 0.7 inch laptop that doesn't look like a plastic alien spaceship and I'll be impressed.

22 minutes ago, TristanKing said:

Seriously? Razer products seem fine to me. Point me to another QHD+, GTX 1060, 0.7 inch laptop that doesn't look like a plastic alien spaceship and I'll be impressed.

Yes all of that is serious, Blades are utter crap. The only Blade that was ok was the first blade, from what 2013. All the Blades after that has had all of those problems even the stealth. (yes razer cannot cool a 15w CPU)

You cannot get a laptop that is that thin that can cool a 1060 well, Pascal is a lot hotter than Maxwell.  The laptop we are seing right now with a 1060 in them, had a 970m in them and then you start to look at the temps and they have all gone up, so the laptops that could cool a 970m fairly well aka Clevo (sager) laptops have a lot harder time cooling a 1060

You live in a dream world if you think that you can get such slim laptop that can cool a 1060 well, that is not going to happen.

Also power =/= heat, read a physics book if you think power = heat.

Also build materials =/= build quality, if you think that, then weld two steal plates together very poorly and look how easily they come apart, the materials used are great, the way they are put together is shit, same thing here.

This is basically how a laptop that can cool a 1060 looks

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9152.html 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yes all of that is serious, Blades are utter crap. The only Blade that was ok was the first blade, from what 2013. All the Blades after that has had all of those problems even the stealth. (yes razer cannot cool a 15w CPU)

You cannot get a laptop that is that thin that can cool a 1060 well, Pascal is a lot hotter than Maxwell.  The laptop we are seing right now with a 1060 in them, had a 970m in them and then you start to look at the temps and they have all gone up, so the laptops that could cool a 970m fairly well aka Clevo (sager) laptops have a lot harder time cooling a 1060

You live in a dream world if you think that you can get such slim laptop that can cool a 1060 well, that is not going to happen.

Also power =/= heat, read a physics book if you think power = heat.

Also build materials =/= build quality, if you think that, then weld two steal plates together very poorly and look how easily it comes apart, the materials used are great, the way they are put together is shit, same thing here.

This is basically how a laptop that can cool a 1060 looks

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9152.html 

You just sound like a "Razer hater". If you say that a company makes bad products, but can't find equivalent products with the same features made better, you aren't making a very good argument.

The Razer Blade is a niche product, it isn't meant to be a "max gaming performance" laptop. There has to be compromises when you pack so much hardware in such a small package.

And what's this about very poor build quality? You just seem to be pulling that claim out of thin air. Do you have any proof that they're made badly? I've never heard that before, in fact one of it's main selling points is that it has great build quality.

Arguments about the quality of some company aside...

I could see this working, but as others mentioned you would need a Thunderbolt 3 connection on the desktop side, possibly as an add-in card. A quick look online shows they float for about $80. Performance drop should be minimal since PCIe 3.0 x4 is about the lowest you can go before you start taking appreciable hits to performance.

1 minute ago, TristanKing said:

You just sound like a "Razer hater". If you say that a company makes bad products, but can't find equivalent products with the same features made better, you aren't making a very good argument.

The Razer Blade is a niche product, it isn't meant to be a "max gaming performance" laptop. There has to be compromises when you pack so much hardware in such a small package.

And what's this about very poor build quality? You just seem to be pulling that claim out of thin air. Do you have any proof that they're made badly? I've never heard that before.

1. I fix laptops for a living, I have fixed 8 Blades so far

2. No I don't hate razer, they have given me a lot of things and I like SOME of their product, like their mech gamepad, their mousepads, their Deathadder (because it fits my hand).

3. What is it that you don't understand with that you cannot cool a 1060 in such a small form factor, did you even look at the video? Also the life spand is going to hell when it gets that hot.

4. Pulling from thin air LOL. You know why you have not heard that before, because it feels premium and that is what all the reviews look at, but the screw and the glue they use is utter shit.

5. So you are one of those idiots that think that it is okay that you put something in a laptop, that will performe a lot worse than it should, because it thermal throttles, you guys are the cancer of laptop consumors, that should NEVER EVER BE OKAY. When you pay a premium and you can see that you have these things in it, then you should get the performance of those things. Would you buy a ferrari spider 488 and then say that it is okay that it only performs like a Citroen C1, that is what you are saying that you would be okay with.

Oh so all oh my arguements are not good, because I don't recommend a laptop as thin that can cool a 1060, you know why? BECAUSE THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. get a old GS40 with a 970m or not I don't care.

You are so in love with that laptop that you cannot see all the flaws and just out right refuse to even listen to people who know what they are talking about. You know what, buy that shit and waste your money, I could not care less, you have shown how stupid you really are and I don't want to help you anymore.

@Pendragon He is all yours, if you even want to help him.

48 minutes ago, TristanKing said:

They seem fine oh do they? 95C CPU temps on a fresh, non-sustained Overwatch run. Yes much fine, such temps. We're not even stressing the laptop so you can't make the same argument where if we run Prime95 and it fails that. 95C is too hot for DESKTOP components, much less a 0.7 laptop with all it's stuff compressed up against each other. What does your very scientific deduction of "seem fine" to you say now. 

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I could see this working, but as others mentioned you would need a Thunderbolt 3 connection on the desktop side, possibly as an add-in card. A quick look online shows they float for about $80. Performance drop should be minimal since PCIe 3.0 x4 is about the lowest you can go before you start taking appreciable hits to performance.

Yea, no. Performance hits of anywhere from 15-25% occur because of TB3 to PCIE conversion overhead. If you plug the core into a desktop mb with tb3 connection and run games off the core, you'll be 20% off of if you just plugged the graphics card into your MB. 

2 hours ago, LionSpeck said:

If you get a good graphics card, that's negligible, tho.

Performance gap grows as you move up the graphics card performance ladder. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

I just can't believe how they would fit a GTX 1060 desktop styled GPU in these laptops! Especially, the thin Razer laptops!

Edited by The Icey Bros
misspelled "how"

10 hours ago, TristanKing said:

-snip-

sure it is unhelpful to say all the flaws with the Blades. You are just a fanboy, I don't hate razer at all, I own some of their product, their laptops are just crap, utter crap.

Get A GS40 then, you just said that you don't need the performance of a 1060, but good luck with your stove.

If you don't want to listen to people that know 1000% more than Linus about laptops then fine.

10 hours ago, The Icey Bros said:

I just can't believe how they would fit a GTX 1060 desktop styled GPU in these laptops! Especially, the thin Razer laptops!

No, that is not impressive, you could put a 1080 in it. What would be impressive would be if they could cool the 1060 well, but they cant

9 hours ago, TristanKing said:

-snip-

I recommended the GS40, heck even the 970m Blade is better, because that takes a longer time to thermal throttle. You on the other hand does not want to listen to me. Now I am leaving and never ever helping you again.

Take care 

27 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I recommended the GS40, heck even the 970m Blade is better, because that takes a longer time to thermal throttle. You on the other hand does not want to listen to me. Now I am leaving and never ever helping you again.

Take care 

"even the 970m Blade is better, because that takes a longer time to thermal throttle." Really? That's funny, because I didn't realize any information had even been released on the Razer Blade GTX 1060, apart from one shitty video. So you're spending all this time talking about how bad a laptop you don't know shit about is.

And "I recommended the GS40"...

I said:

"nor do I care about fans getting loud if I decide to run a demanding game every now and then" - Has a 970m, it's going to find bloody minecraft modpacks demanding. I'm not going to be able to play max settings Doom every now and then.

"I don't care about prices being higher than average." - Yet you link me this outdated cheap thing?

"I want a very thin" - It's 25% thicker than a Razer Blade.

"sleek, smart looking laptop" - Looks like just another typical red and black gaming laptop and everyone in starbucks will think I'm a neckbeard nob.

"a high res screen" - Has a 1080p screen vs Razer Blade's QHD+ !!

Yeah thanks for the perfect bloody recommendation.

This thread crashed fast. Please take a read through the Community Standards for the site so that you are aware of the rules and expected behaviour while using the site.

Notably, attacking other members, such as by calling them fanboys or assholes, is not acceptable. Everybody has different opinions, and if you want to use this site, you need to accept that not everyone will agree with you. That is not a fault of theirs, and not something you should attack them over, they have just had different experiences, or got their information from a different source.  Yes, please present some facts that support your side of the debate, and feel free to explain why they are important, but just disagreeing with someone does not automatically make them a bad person or a fanboy.

HTTP/2 203