Xbone games may take up 50GB+ for install.

So I got my hand on some slicks for a few Xbox One games and found something interesting on them.

Please excuse the quality these were taken from my phone.

post-2767-0-74190700-1381579490.jpg

First things first. Xbox One games are on Blu-Ray (We all know that) but they are also in blu-ray (sized) cases. (This makes sense but Nintendo didn't do that with the WiiU [WiiU uses modified version of blu-ray])

I kind of like the colour scheme, I'm not sure if this is what they're going to stick with. In other slicks I've seen they look significantly different but these ones were send officially from microsoft.

post-2767-0-08026300-1381579497.jpg

I've highlighted (sort of) the part I find the most interesting. 

For the sake of guests that are not signed in the first line of the fine print reads.

"For use only with Xbox One systems. Game disc and up to 35GB storage required. Additional storage, hardware, and Xbox Live may be required for setup."

Now it does say "up to 35GB" so my first thoughts were "maybe they're just being cautious making sure that they over estimate to cover their buts"

I thought about it some more. Maybe they are for a full install like the xbox 360 allows you to do, but doesn't require it. 

Blu-ray is much slower at reading than DVD so I expected more being installed to the HDD.

Then I thought they're only releasing the console with a 500GB HDD. If games require that amount to be installed its only 14 games to fill the console.... Would actually be less because of formatting and OS as well as all the other crap (Saves, profiles, dlc... etc.)

Okay, Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

post-2767-0-90410800-1381579485.jpg

post-2767-0-80687900-1381579480.jpg

Then I saw this. This made me think that they were defiantly just making sure they cover their buts. 35GB is extreme for an install.

post-2767-0-19459300-1381583643.jpg

post-2767-0-29348300-1381579506.jpg

ok... WAIT WHAT 47GB.... Holy cow. maybe... just maybe.

Who knows but if these are required install and this is at launch. What are we going to end up with in 5-10 years for installs.

Maybe the blu-ray drive supports blu-ray XL....

Now just for a little test I decided to go through a few of my PC games and see how large the installs were.

Half Life                    (1998)       1.16GB

WarCraft 3: RoC              (2002)        586MB

Age of Mythology             (2002)        901MB

TeS III: Morrowind           (2002)       1.06GB

Fable: TLC                   (2004)       2.67GB

Counter-Strike: Source       (2004)       4.26GB

Age of Empires 3             (2005)       3.74GB

GTA: San Andreas             (2005)       4.67GB

The Witcher                  (2007)       15.6GB

Burnout Paradise             (2008)       3.23GB

Saints Row 2                 (2009)       11.6GB

Batman Arkham Asylum         (2009)       8.01GB

Civilization V               (2010)       4.97GB

Trine 2                      (2011)       3.51GB

The Witcher 2: AoK           (2011)       18.2GB

Saints Row the Third         (2011)       9.30GB

Battlefield 3                (2011)       19.9GB

Sleeping Dogs                (2012)       6.83GB

Diablo 3                     (2012)       12.4GB

Tomb Raider                  (2013)       10.2GB 

Bioshock Infinite            (2013)       16.9GB

Saints Row IV                (2013)       8.51GB

Please note these are just the install folder not any pre-requisites, save or Application data folders. (All games are also up to date)

If a game takes 50GB for an install thats less than 10 Games on the Xbone before you have to uninstall stuff. 

beside the fact that you would have to physically uninstall stuff it probably wouldn't be the worst thing since I don't think I could have 10 games on the go at once.

The other point is, We're definitely not ready for an all digital system yet. Even if you don't have to install 50 GB for R.Y.S.E if you were to download it you would.

As Slick said today on the stream it might take people a week or more to download 50GB. Let alone the terrible data caps Imposed on us.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

The harddrives that it comes with better be 1tb/2tb.

Nice find though. Where did you get these?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

HAHA, and they are having only 500GB HDD... whit my calculations, you can install about 10 games before you are out of storage.

Let the laughing begin...Sarcastic_laugh.gif

Chances are the game takes half of that. The reason the out that much Becuase they are going to be sending out massive patches Becuase they don't have the patience to send out finished games

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Well BF3 with all the DLC's is over 30GB installed. So could be possible.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

The harddrives that it comes with better be 1tb/2tb.

Nice find though. Where did you get these?

Microsoft sent them to me at work for Xbox One advertising. It was nice to get some correct size Xbox one slicks. Although they do look out of place on the shelf.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

that 4tb wd red giveaway is looking good now :D

FX 6300 | Sapphire 7770 | G-Skill Ares 8GB | WD Blue 1TB | ASUS M5A78L-M

Tritton Kunai | Logitech Proteus Core G502 | Razer Blackwidow Tournament 

that 4tb wd red giveaway is looking good now :D

Pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't connect external hard drives up to the xbox.

Unless I'm mistaken.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Chances are the game takes half of that. The reason the out that much Becuase they are going to be sending out massive patches Becuase they don't have the patience to send out finished games

this did occur to me. I also briefly mentioned that DLC takes up extra space. and perhaps it could be for a full install.

It does also say "Aditional storage, hardware, and Xbox Live may be required for setup, some updates and features, including retention of some gameplay settings and information."

would the updates and features part not include patches and DLC?

Maybe not but it would be my assumption. 

Well BF3 with all the DLC's is over 30GB installed. So could be possible.

Yes very possible especially if you look at things like my old WOW folder was like 86GB (They must have done something its down to like 22GB now). Secret world is like 38GB installed aswell. If you could Minecraft saves my Minecraft server folder is 81GB.

Spoiler

Pretty I read somewhere that you can't connect external hard drives up to the xbox.

Unless I'm mistaken.

Sorry, i meant for my rig not the xbone. I would only imagine the PC ports would be even bigger files!

FX 6300 | Sapphire 7770 | G-Skill Ares 8GB | WD Blue 1TB | ASUS M5A78L-M

Tritton Kunai | Logitech Proteus Core G502 | Razer Blackwidow Tournament 

Sorry, i meant for my rig no the xbone. I would only imagine the PC ports would be even bigger files!

Hey I mean I can hope that they just use a standard Sata drive with no proprietary formatting. I doubt it but that would be amazing. Maybe after all the scrutiny they've received they'll do something good. If this is actually the case there will soon enough be a 4TB Xbone.

Spoiler

Lool if this was true then people are screwed. Good luck for digital taking off on consoles. Not everyone has a 60Mbps connection.

Oh and Microsoft made a really dumb decision by not making the HDD user-upgradable. My guess is they're going to offer some propietary storage in the future for insane prices like they did with the 360. I still can't believe I paid $100 for a 60GB 360 hard drive years ago. I got ripped off. Memory prices are still outrageous to this day for that console. I'm going to be purchasing a 1TB 2.5" drive for my PS4 on or before launch for about $100 or somewhere around that price.

This is so cringeworthy:

29pp8qw.png

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

this did occur to me. I also briefly mentioned that DLC takes up extra space. and perhaps it could be for a full install.

It does also say "Aditional storage, hardware, and Xbox Live may be required for setup, some updates and features, including retention of some gameplay settings and information."

would the updates and features part not include patches and DLC?

Maybe not but it would be my assumption. 

Yes very possible especially if you look at things like my old WOW folder was like 86GB (They must have done something its down to like 22GB now). Secret world is like 38GB installed aswell. If you could Minecraft saves my Minecraft server folder is 81GB.

WoW is ridiculously big, it's over 25GB without  any addons.

The biggest I ever seen was X Plane Simulator over 75GB.

one person  is playing and average of ~10 games at any given time

for me its normally 2 - 3 tops

seems reasonable to me

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ryse and Killzone have extremely long campaign's. Now the 500 GB HDD is starting to become a stupid idea. Hopefully this is just a couple of games and not all of them

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't connect external hard drives up to the xbox.

Unless I'm mistaken.

You can't at launch but in the future it will be possible. The Xbox Ones' HDD isn't upgradeable like the PS4 ( I think ). I'll try to find a news article about it.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I feel really bad for people with data caps. There's no way they'll be able to download any game with obscene file sizes like this. Looks like discs aren't going anywhere for the time being.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I personally think this isn't a bad thing (not going to say it's a good thing, just not a bad thing).. I would prefer games that have more detail, more functionality, more maps, more everything, which of course is going to take up more space.. All of us on the PC side of things have 1 or 2 TB drives anyway, so why should it matter how big the game is to us? 

one person  is playing and average of ~10 games at any given time

for me its normally 2 - 3 tops

seems reasonable to me

But you don't want to have to uninstall an old game every time you get a new one. The "next gen" Xbox shipping with a 500 GB HDD is kind of pathetic if you ask me.

I feel really bad for people with data caps. There's no way they'll be able to download any game with obscene file sizes like this. Looks like discs aren't going anywhere for the time being.

Though Linus was saying on the WAN show last night that that might make optical media more relevant. With 300 GB blu-ray disks coming out in the near future, people with slow internet (like myself) or people with data caps will be able to just buy the disk for the initial game install. 

Of course, patches and other things would probably still need to be downloaded, but those are usually smaller files.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

This won't bother me if they make a emulator for the " next gen" consoles then I'll just connect to my NAS and enjoy 8tb of gaming goodness

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Uh...it's Blu-Ray, of course it can take up to 50GB an install.

I could have told you this months ago, I don't know why people are surprised.

Let the laughing begin...Sarcastic_laugh.gif

Ahh the Liz Lemon laugh, my favourite kind of laugh :D

tbh if they do have only 500 gig and dont change that last min or offer an upgrade for a nominal price they are just looking to piss people off. They have been told that 500 gig was only barely enough with the PS3 and Xbox 360. Sure when they were released that is the size that people wanted... why do people still buy consoles again? I'm lost...

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

So they can only fit 10 games on the 500gb hard drive xD

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Maybe the games are all uncompressed formats in order to give games a smoother experience?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer