Xbone games may take up 50GB+ for install.

wait.. how.

Their textures would have lower resolutions than PC.

I am pretty sure the models will have less polygons.

What are they using this space for?

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

I personally think this isn't a bad thing (not going to say it's a good thing, just not a bad thing).. I would prefer games that have more detail, more functionality, more maps, more everything, which of course is going to take up more space.. All of us on the PC side of things have 1 or 2 TB drives anyway, so why should it matter how big the game is to us?

Not sure why you're bringing up PCs. OP is talking about consoles and not only that, a console which does not allow you to swap out the storage (unlike the Playstation 4). With the Xbone you will be stuck with the 500GB HDD until Microsoft releases a replacement one, and knowing Microsoft (based on the Xbox 360 HDDs) they won't be cheap.

Not sure why you're bringing up PCs. OP is talking about consoles and not only that, a console which does not allow you to swap out the storage (unlike the Playstation 4). With the Xbone you will be stuck with the 500GB HDD until Microsoft releases a replacement one, and knowing Microsoft (based on the Xbox 360 HDDs) they won't be cheap.

Because the consoles are, at their heart, PCs. The fact that the storage in the "next" gen xbox is non-upgradeable isn't my problem.. 

What I do care about, however, is game content. The way I see it, game devs shouldn't need to nerf their games so that they only take up >10 GB because the consoles are holding them back.. Is there a reason why we should limit the size of games other than the consoles being pathetic? The way I see it, not really.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Uh...it's Blu-Ray, of course it can take up to 50GB an install.

I could have told you this months ago, I don't know why people are surprised.

We all knew that it was possible for them to take 50GB or more. The surprise is that they do take up to 50GB. If they support newer Blu-Ray discs the discs will support 125GB or maybe the future 300GB ones. So who knows what is to come. How I see it is I have a "Metric But Tonne" Of PC games and the Only 2 that take up more than 25GB are MMO's.

Maybe the games are all uncompressed formats in order to give games a smoother experience?

Last time I checked BD read speeds are Terrible, It would probably be quicker to read the data compressed and then decompress it. However this is possible. I just really hope that these are optional full installs. because I have a whole lot more than 10 Xbox 360 games.

Because the consoles are, at their heart, PCs. The fact that the storage in the "next" gen xbox is non-upgradeable isn't my problem.. 

What I do care about, however, is game content. The way I see it, game devs shouldn't need to nerf their games so that they only take up >10 GB because the consoles are holding them back.. Is there a reason why we should limit the size of games other than the consoles being pathetic? The way I see it, not really.

I agree with you. Developers shouldn't hold back their games for the sake of saving some GB. But there are a few examples I'd like to throw at you. 

La Noire / 3 Discs. (There is a huge amout of facial animation here so sort of understandable

Mass Effect 2 / 2 Discs

Mass Effect 3 / 2 Discs

Forza 3 / 2 Discs

Forza 4 / 2 Discs

Rage / 3 Discs

Final Fantasy 13 / 2 Discs 

Then we take a look at a few games that fit on 1 Disc

The first 3 are both Bethesda titles. So they must be doing something right.

TeSIV: Oblivion

TeSV: Skyrim

Fallout 3

GTA IV

Mafia 2, Not the hugest game but still very sizeable.

Final Fantasy 13-2 

They're all on 1 disc so a lot of the time there is heaps more devs can do to reduce space consumption.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I use roughly 150GB of SSD space to install my games. I usually have around 1-4 installed at any one time. Despite the fact my internet connection isn't that great (around 12mbps) most games usually install overnight so it doesn't bother me at all, I just make sure I'm done with it before I get rid.. pretty simple to me. Probably because I rarely play multiplayer games because I have no PC friends haha  :lol:

I have friends that own xboxes and all they do is play FIFA and GTA so I can't see 500GB getting on the casual players nerves at all. After all it is aimed at people who like TV and SPORTS and CALLOFDUTYDOGS.

If you could Minecraft saves my Minecraft server folder is 81GB.

Is that including backups of it or is your world seriously that ridiculously huge?! The biggest I've ever gotten a map to is about 1.5GB! And that was on FTB Ultimate where worlds are instantly about 5 times the size.

If game installs on the consoles will be up to 50GB, then good luck with your consoles! I'd be very impressed if they're truly 35GB or 47GB installs like those "slicks" (is that what you really call them?) say but I wouldn't be surprised if PC games start to become that huge. Though BF4 is supposedly ONLY going to use 30GB on PC.

That's a bit of memory used there :P I hope for the Xbone users; that those HDD's are upgradeable.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

This makes it even more foolish that they put a mere 500gb hard drive in there, thats like 9 or 10 games which is pitiful, most gamers have way over twenty games, at any rate rip to my hard drive, im going to buy like ten 4tb hdds.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

What the hell are these devs doing to make these games take up so much space. Crysis 3 takes up 17GB at the most and that game I promise you will look better then any game coming out of the next gen consoles for quite some time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

What the hell are these devs doing to make these games take up so much space. Crysis 3 takes up 17GB at the most and that game I promise you will look better then any game coming out of the next gen consoles for quite some time.

I just thought of something. The devs are artificially increasing the storage requirements so SOny and M$ can make more money on proprietary HDD's. Sounds crazy but they do it all the time already. Or it's just so they can sell you all the DLC.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Is that including backups of it or is your world seriously that ridiculously huge?! The biggest I've ever gotten a map to is about 1.5GB! And that was on FTB Ultimate where worlds are instantly about 5 times the size.

If game installs on the consoles will be up to 50GB, then good luck with your consoles! I'd be very impressed if they're truly 35GB or 47GB installs like those "slicks" (is that what you really call them?) say but I wouldn't be surprised if PC games start to become that huge. Though BF4 is supposedly ONLY going to use 30GB on PC.

Its for multiple servers. The largest individual map I have is about 21GB. Most of them range between 1GB and 10GB. Some are Vanilla servers, Some are running a "metric but tonne" of mods.

I don't doubt that they'll get to that size but I didn't think they would for console before PC games would get there. I mean excluding MMO's xD

and yes they're called "slicks"  

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

People will simply have to uninstall unused games, as I do with my 360 now. It's not likely that people play over 10 games continuously. You install some games you repeatedly play for multiplayer, and when you complete single player games you can uninstall them.