AIO mods? replacing radiator on AIO coolers

Hello. Just had a quick question about AIO radiators. I have a 120mm AIO cooler and I was just wondering how plausible it may be to replace the 120mm radiator to a 240mm or larger later on. I understand that these AIO aren't meant to be taken apart and such, but has anyone ever tried to do so? 

Thank you

No.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No.

So like, don't do it you'll ruin everything? or don't do it it's not possible? 

Just now, kamjakevin said:

it is actually pretty easy to do. if you are confident enough in your own DIY skills and make sure your AIO's pump is strong enough to support larger rads, then you could do this easily.

I would imagine you could do it, but it would be one hell of a hassle. If you wanted a larger radiator, you would have to figure out how to attach the pre-existing tube to the new rad, and get the fittings to clamp on said tube, figure out how to fill the damn thing, pray there's no leaks, try to bleed it, it would be easier (and maybe cheaper) to just buy a 240mm AIO or custom loop.

ASU

1 hour ago, kamjakevin said:

Well first of all, it voids warranty, so when it does leak you will probably lose hundreds of dollars.

Second, the tubing and fittings are non-standard, so you would need to DIY a solution for adapters and barbs to fit a real radiator.

Third, Depending on the metals used in the AIO you may get corrosion by replacing the radiator.

Fourth, AiOs don't have fill ports, and making sure all the bubbles got out of your loop with no reservoir will be extremely difficult.

Fifth, depending on how large a radiator you add, the pump in an AIO will not be enough.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

55 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well first of all, it voids warranty, so when it does leawak you will probably lose hundreds of dollars.

Second, the tubing and fittings are non-standard, so you would need to DIY a solution for adapters and barbs to fir a real radiator.

Third, Depending on the metals used in the AIO you may get corrosion by replacing the radiator.

Fourth, AiOs don't have fill ports, and making sure all the bubbles got out of your loop with no reservoir will be extremely difficult.

Fifth, depending on how large a radiator you add, the pump in an AIO will not be enough.

Aight. I think this is enough convincing for me not to do it. Haha Thanks everyone

• 9 months later...

No you can do it easily. the barbs are usually just 3/8 or 1/4. measure with calipers. Cut the tubing on the AIO down the side of the barbs, have extra caution on the block side because those are plastic. then just slip new tubing over the barbs(or cut the old one down a bit). secure with clamps, zipties or glue. 

My current loop started as a really old AIO from an Alienware of some sort (Thanks AMD for using the same CPU cooler attachment method from socket 939-ish up through AM3+).  The pump it used was separate from the CPU block, but everything just used 1/4in ID tubing and hose barbs.

Basically, pull the thing off your computer, cut the tubing at a low spot to drain the system, then go to the hardware store and find temperature/material-appropriate tubing that's the right size.

While it's apart, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy/make a drain port and add a reservoir to the system at the highest point so it will be much easier to refill and self-bleed the loop.

I replaced the weak original pump with a stupidly overpowered Danger Den pump, keeping the original 140mm rad and CPU block.  For a while I had a block on my GPU and an additional 240mm rad in the loop.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

• 5 years later...

Yes I'm aware I'm 5 years late, however for the one or two people who decide to scroll down this far into this thread [I was one of them], I have some advice as I just did this with my AIO.

Don't.

It's custom water cooling, however you lose the benefit of your biggest tool, an actual reservoir. Without a reservoir, you have to submerge the radiator of choice into your cooling liquid, and connect the tubing from there. 

As said from Enderman (above me in this thread) "the tubing and fittings are non-standard", you can get lucky like I did with my radiator supporting my pump, however that's sheer luck, there is always a high likelihood that you won't be as lucky, and be just a few mm's short, which can ruin your project

If you do decide to jump into customizing your AIO, always keep an air cooler on standby, as the chances of you completely destroying your AIO are SUPER high.

23 hours ago, FaithfullyEzura said:

Yes I'm aware I'm 5 years late, however for the one or two people who decide to scroll down this far into this thread [I was one of them], I have some advice as I just did this with my AIO.

Don't.

It's custom water cooling, however you lose the benefit of your biggest tool, an actual reservoir. Without a reservoir, you have to submerge the radiator of choice into your cooling liquid, and connect the tubing from there. 

As said from Enderman (above me in this thread) "the tubing and fittings are non-standard", you can get lucky like I did with my radiator supporting my pump, however that's sheer luck, there is always a high likelihood that you won't be as lucky, and be just a few mm's short, which can ruin your project

If you do decide to jump into customizing your AIO, always keep an air cooler on standby, as the chances of you completely destroying your AIO are SUPER high.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 9 months later...

If you have built your own PC and are reading this, "Just Do It"  lol  it's easier than watching Linus wearing sandals. I've taken a CM Seidon and added a EKWB 420. tip: when adding anti freeze, heat it to about 60 degrees before funneling it into the rad as this reduces bubbles from clinging to the inside tubes. Also add a clear plastic or glass top up T at highest part of loop (upside down T , it's not on a QWERTY KB) so any air bubbles will eventually go into this and from time to time you can take the cap off and check / top it up. It will never leak if it is carefully done.