nVidia has a GTX1060 with only 3GB of VRAM, but that's not all

zMeul

It's not the fact that this card has only 3GB of video memory that pisses me off, but rather NVIDIA's decision to keep the GTX 1060 name when it has a cut-down chip, making it an entirely different product. That was a mistake, they should have named it the GTX 1050/Ti.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

8 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

mmmm...this just sounds like another recipe for disaster...like the RX470 vs RX480...wayyy too close but this time, they're nerfing the lesser Vram equipped card :/ 

Not vs AIB RX 480 it is not close at all.

My RX 480 PC Red Devil is 10FPS more than stock 480.

and here I am with GTX780 3GB playing at 1440p lol what the hell are you guys arguing about 3gb being too low...

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

38 minutes ago, raystriker98 said:

Would it be safe to say that the RX480 > GTX 1060 3GB?

I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case. I think RX470 > GTX 1060 3GB would be a fair statement when all's said and done, as well.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

14 hours ago, Dackzy said:

1. I am not

2. I just like to poke at you, because you sometimes set your mind on something and then it can only be that way.

3. He also broke forum rules, more times than I did...

4. Mr. memes kek it was one pic, I don't feel like I deserve that title yet, just for one pic, maybe if I did 10 sure and I can do that really fast, but meh I won't.

5. Look at the screenshot...

1. yes you were

2. asking for proof is me wanting to have it my way? This forum has too many sacred cows, it needs a good cleansing off the bullshit narratives once a while.

3. no excuse

4. if you use memes to make an argument, you are forever lost to me. you might aswell be mr. memes.

5. see point 5.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

1. yes you were

2. asking for proof is me wanting to have it my way? This forum has too many sacred cows, it needs a good cleansing off the bullshit narratives once a while.

3. no excuse

4. if you use memes to make an argument, you are forever lost to me. you might aswell be mr. memes.

5. see point 5.

1. um no I am not

2. No you don't just ask for proof, you out of your way to come up with some BS about it not being realistic. You also like to only read things that only fit your point of view.

3. I am not making a excuse, just pointing out things

4. I did not use it to make a argument, I used it to tease you nothing more and it seems to have worked, my argument is the screenshot of tomb raider, not the pic of that GPU. I don't care if I am a lost cause to you, because since the first time I read your comments you have been a lost cause to me, don't get me wrong sometimes you say something that is smart, but also the other way around..

5. Let me hear what you have to say about my screenshot of tomb raider, come on let me hear it. Because that is 1080p and it wants to use more than 4gb of ram, it was stuttering, but if you saw the game run you could see the FPS was over 60fps at times and droped really low also, so that is a sign of not enough Vram. This is 2016, not 2012-2013. Sure people still play games from 2010 and such where 3gb is fine, but with new titles 3gb is a joke especially when you can see that the game could run at 60fps if the card had 6gb of vram.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, FPS-Russia said:

Not vs AIB RX 480 it is not close at all.

My RX 480 PC Red Devil is 10FPS more than stock 480.

Unless you're talking about a sapphire RX480 Nitro (same price as reference) then...the price difference (in the UK at lease) is more than 30 pounds(?) and due to the higher cost, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I'd have to disagree with those who say 3GB is too small. A game that uses 3GB does not mean it needs 3GB. I've been running a 2GB card for a couple years at 1080p and never had a vram problem.  I understand there may be a rare case like black ops 3, but I think the vast vast majority of games are fine with 3.

14 hours ago, Dackzy said:

-snip-

That name is utter shit. xD

14 hours ago, marldorthegreat said:

-snip-

If something like that happens that would be it's name.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I'd have to disagree with those who say 3GB is too small. A game that uses 3GB does not mean it needs 3GB. I've been running a 2GB card for a couple years at 1080p and never had a vram problem.  I understand there may be a rare case like black ops 3, but I think the vast vast majority of games are fine with 3.

Half agree with this as I was able to push 70fps with literally no stuttering 1080p medium (not exact settings but I can't remember) GTA 5 on a GTX 560 (non-ti) 1GB card when GTA recommended 2.2GB of Vram...

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Half agree with this as I was able to push 70fps with literally no stuttering 1080p medium (not exact settings but I can't remember) GTA 5 on a GTX 560 (non-ti) 1GB card when GTA recommended 2.2GB of Vram...

Out if curiosity, what half don't you agree with? 

Just now, bobhays said:

Out if curiosity, what half don't you agree with? 

how it stuttered in other games due to not having enough Vram so...depends on the game? 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

how it stuttered in other games due to not having enough Vram so...depends on the game? 

In personal experience I've never had an issue with vram. The only problem was that some games don't allow you run at higher settings if you don't have a certain amount of vram. I think that's just bad development habits but thats basically the biggest issue I've seen. That is my personal experience so maybe others have seen different. 

I'd have preferred this to be the 1060 and the 1060 to be the 1060 Ti, but whatever. I think that the 1060 3GB will be to the 470 what the 1060 6GB is to the 480: they trade blows with the 1060 3GB mostly winning but not by much, and the RX 470 being cheaper.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

17 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

GTA V uses 3.5-3.7gb of vram on my GTX 980 at 1080p

@MajesticCan backup that gta5 when rendered in 1080p on my 390 runs over 3.3gbs of vram consistently.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, bobhays said:

In personal experience I've never had an issue with vram. The only problem was that some games don't allow you run at higher settings if you don't have a certain amount of vram. I think that's just bad development habits but thats basically the biggest issue I've seen. That is my personal experience so maybe others have seen different. 

The thing is everyone has different expectations, to me graphics isn't number one, AA is something I do notice a difference however, FPS wise and not graphically :P plus stuttering and screen tearing doesn't bother me so it's all about the personal preferences. 

18 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

That name is utter shit. xD

What you don't like my DDs? Or my XXX.

We are talking coolers here don't get any dirty thoughts now :DxD 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'm just wondering if the 3GB card might be a value compute device. That it has fewer cores than the 6GB version will mean it would have to be priced accordingly, but the ram amount is not important for my uses. On a similar note, I'm waiting for the 470/480 4GB pricing to stabilise there to see where the value point is, but one job I will be running works a lot faster on nvidia than AMD anyway...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

It's not the fact that this card has only 3GB of video memory that pisses me off, but rather NVIDIA's decision to keep the GTX 1060 name when it has a cut-down chip, making it an entirely different product. That was a mistake, they should have named it the GTX 1050/Ti.

agreed.

@Trik'Stari

Check out the post i made above yours. This explains pretty clearly how bad the issue is. bear in mind, i have a 4GB card, and already at HIGH settings i am getting close to the 3GB "limit" of the 1060.

5 hours ago, Accursed Entity said:

and here I am with GTX780 3GB playing at 1440p lol what the hell are you guys arguing about 3gb being too low...

I was just doing the same when I was using a 780 Lightning as a temporary card until my 1080 showed up after I sold my 980 ti.

3GB is fine on most of these cards you're going to run out of GPU horsepower before you run out of VRAM.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This is another reason to say "fuck you" to Nvidia. They did this before with the Geforce 6200 that was a cut down 6600 and had the full 128MB or 256MB DDR2 vRAM stated, and by then releasing a version that was based around an entirely new chip that only had 16, 32 or 64MB of DDR2, and the rest of the advertised vRAM (512MB with my one) actually being shared system memory. Of course, not too many people knew this-especially with 512MB being the listed vRAM.

The original Geforce 6200 (the Doom 3 page):

http://techreport.com/review/7447/nvidia-geforce-6200-graphics-processor/4

The Geforce 6200 Turbocahce (the Doom 3 page as well-look at the 1024x768 result):

http://techreport.com/review/7741/nvidia-geforce-6200-with-turbocache/7

FUCK THIS SHIT, FUCKING SCUMBAGS.

And yes I'm fucking pissed as I was one of the people caught out as I only learned shortly after the return period about this BS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL